Kid gets a Tech for "flopping" on a charge

gettozero

A player does not receive a technical for "flopping" during a judgement charge/block call. A player receives a technical when there is no contact made and the defensive players falls anyway. It is a technical to help protect the offensive player from breaking an ankle on defender that slid underneath him and flopped on the ground.

Please understand the rules of the game if you are going to post on here. You are the same parents I hear yelling "how was it a foul if he didn't even touch him?" That's exactly why its a foul!!!!

the play that caused this thread there was contact...and I believe the true definition of a foul is advantage gained by contact...so there should not be a fouls called with any contact..that's why when u see 2 guys pushing each other in the post they don't call a foul as soon as contact is...the foul is commited when 1 player gains an advantage through the contact..plz learn rules b4 starting your lecture on them

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A player does not receive a technical for "flopping" during a judgement charge/block call. A player receives a technical when there is no contact made and the defensive players falls anyway. It is a technical to help protect the offensive player from breaking an ankle on defender that slid underneath him and flopped on the ground.

Please understand the rules of the game if you are going to post on here. You are the same parents I hear yelling "how was it a foul if he didn't even touch him?" That's exactly why its a foul!!!!

I'm pretty sure it was understood that the topic "flopping" that there was not contact? No one to my knowledge implied that it was a judgement call as to whether or not there was contact. The judgement call is whether or not the theatrics warranted a Tech or not. So I think the rule is pretty clear to people given the posts that I read. People were just expressing there opinions as to why it was and you cleared that up. Your last paragraph however didn't make much sense to me unless this very topic is a regular occurrence to yourself. Please accept our apologies, we will try to run all of our opinions past you first next time.

One reason its a rare call is officials will normally either call a block or have a "no call" and then tell the player that's a technical foul if you do it again. Most players will stop flopping after that.

Also its not always a flop. Some players lean back a little so the contact will just take them on over. When the offense pulls up or goes around the defender is off balance and falls down. Others are going for the Oscar when they yell like they've been hit by a truck when no contact occurs.

the play that caused this thread there was contact...and I believe the true definition of a foul is advantage gained by contact...so there should not be a fouls called with any contact..that's why when u see 2 guys pushing each other in the post they don't call a foul as soon as contact is...the foul is commited when 1 player gains an advantage through the contact..plz learn rules b4 starting your lecture on them

Agreed, I used to be that yelling parent and got more adept on rules, I try to keep quiet now(on that topic) and cheer for players more than at officials. Officiating is hard enough at a fast pace without the benefit of replay. Don't get me wrong, I've seen my share of bad charges, flops, etc. While it is a rule, the thing I am challenged on is officials deciding outcomes of games. Have seen 2 technicals on coaches at ends of games in tournament play that had a direct impact on the game. Were they technicals, maybe maybe not, but let the players decide the game, unless it is just gross misconduct or abuse. The 2 I saw did not appear to be, just barking in the heat of the moment.

Also, from earlier post about 2 technicals=ejection=2 game suspension, talk to Oak Ridge. One of their top players got 2 T's, one for rim hanging, another for excessive verbage. OR sent the tape to TSSAA, and from my understanding they ruled the 2nd T was unwarrented and allowed him to play.

Fact is, basketball is a contact sport, if officials called every hand touch or bump, teams would shoot 40-50 free throws a game. That's not basketball in my opinion.

There has to be contact for any common or personal foul. The rule is both for safety and sporting play. Players were "feinting" contact and that is considered unsporting (thus a technical penalty, as well as posing an injury threat). Best early to call a block and warn players of the a penalty to follow if the it occurs again. High school players and coaches are well aware of this rule.

Tired of going to basketball games and watching a soccer match break out. Would love to see more officials call the T when you fly across the floor when you were not even touched. I would also like to see the T called when shooters drop to the ground in pain when a defender simply flashes a hand in their face. I guess if you can't win on the floor you have to find ways to work the refs.

I've seen it called a few times and I have no problem with it when a guy obviously is taking a dive from very little contact. A few years back, it was a point of emphasis from the NFHS for two reasons, one was simply player safety and two was it incites the crowd. The NBA also fines players now for flopping.

So from reading all these posts...... We go from no contact to very little contact to not enough contact to knock a kid down. I'm not surprised by the discontent with the officiating. I have not seen an official this year that can enforce or cares to enforce the "Traveling" violation as it is written.

There has to be contact for any common or personal foul. The rule is both for safety and sporting play. Players were "feinting" contact and that is considered unsporting (thus a technical penalty, as well as posing an injury threat). Best early to call a block and warn players of the a penalty to follow if the it occurs again. High school players and coaches are well aware of this rule.

This post is 100% correct.....it is the rule.....it is unsporting....it is dangerous.....watched a game recently in which a team's star point guard on a run out tore her ACL when a defender sprinted down and feinted or "FLOPPED" for a charge... result.....a no call.....a torn ACL.....a ruined senior season for this girl....What will it take for officials whose responsibility it is to enforce the rules....to actually enforce "THE RULES".....a lawsuit!!!!

sbl

So from reading all these posts...... We go from no contact to very little contact to not enough contact to knock a kid down. I'm not surprised by the discontent with the officiating. I have not seen an official this year that can enforce or cares to enforce the "Traveling" violation as it is written.

Very few officials know what a travel is!!!! TO 95% of them if it looks funny it is a travel.....Hardest call to make and most missed call in the game.....some officials dont call it much cause they are not sure.....and others call everyting a travel and half are not!!

sbl

Very few officials know what a travel is!!!! TO 95% of them if it looks funny it is a travel.....Hardest call to make and most missed call in the game.....some officials dont call it much cause they are not sure.....and others call everyting a travel and half are not!!

sbl

Most accurate post on coachT in months.It drives me crazy to see an official disregard travel after travel from what I refer to as the "split step",which commonly occours when a player is facing the defender,feints a shot and drives the ball while the pivot foot slides or moves rearward and the other foot strides forward at the same time...TRAVELLING!Another peeve of mine is "carrying" the ball,it's almost never called anymore.About two weeks ago in the girls game the ball struck the toe of an opponents shoe slightly causing a wild bounce,by the time the young lady reacted the ball was roughly shoulder high and the ref called her for the carry even though her hand was squarely on top of the ball and no steps were taken,then in the boys game the same ref allowed the two guard to cup and loop the ball all game with no call.I agree with the 95% comment too,if a kid is smooth with the ball he/she can "walk" at will with no calls,but an awkward step(legal or not) will draw a whistle every time.Officials have a tough job no doubt,some of the not so knowledgable fans embarass me for themselves by regularly booing or yelling at them when the call is CORRECT,but in the same breath,they chose to do the job so a little more effort in getting it right and being consistant would be appreciated.