Bearettes, Jets and just bad Refs

Ericblair

After watching Bradley sluggishly beat Coffee County, a Crossville local sportwriter noted that the Bearettes were nothing "special". The comments made it to Bradley's locker room and made for nice motivation in last nights Region 3AAA championship laugher. After leading by 14, further motivation was added when a Bearette was victim of a blantant flagrant uncalled foul that sent her to the hospital and her teamates filled with a terrible resolve. (If three refs that are paid to ref a game miss or claim to miss a foul that sends someone to the hospital, what on earth are they doing officiating a Region Championship game...seriously? Please send these clowns back to the YMCA.)

In the second half it became clear who was a basketball team and who was not. Poise and skill dominated frustration and bully and for the first time perhaps ever, a Region 3 AAA championship game had a running clock, mercy please. As frustration mounted, so did the bully which unfortunately was seemingly encouraged. If technicals, pushes, flagrant fouls and shoves where awarded points then this game might have been close but in the end, this was no game at all as the the host team was outclassed by almost any measure.

For the last two years, Bradley has won its district and region and compiled a 61-7 record. While one can debate the meaning of "special"....one thing is for sure....these Bearettes are winners.

• Upvote 1

Very well spoken! What Cumberland County's girls were doing was deplorable and should not be tolerated. This is basketball, not an MMA fight!!! I hate to say it, but it is almost as if they were coached to play that way. That type of behavior is not acceptable in high school sports. If I were a player, fan, coach, administrator, or anyone else in that community, I would be ashamed.

As for the referees, there should be discipline from the TSSAA. There is no way they cam say they did not see what happened. One ref was standing right in front of the play! And, the fact that they are from the Lawrence County area, who Bradley has to play next just makes it even that much more suspicious.

I just hope and pray that the young lady is able to play, because it would be a shame for her high school career to end because some bully decided since she couldn't beat her on the basketball court, she would just beat her up.

Edited by BCHStrack1

Its really sad that someone got hurt during an athletic contest. However, the girl from Cumberland county did something that is taught in every gym in the country. She faced up with the ball under her chin. Just so happened someone was a little too close.

Maybe if u heard some of the language that came from the mouths of your "classy" team u might not come on here downing others.

If the fans understood that this is basketball (contact sport) and not patty cakes u would just play on!

It was actually a good game until the coach and fans badgered the refs into calling the rest of the game their favor over a perfectly innocent play.

Very well spoken! What Cumberland County's girls were doing was deplorable and should not be tolerated. This is basketball, not an MMA fight!!! I hate to say it, but it is almost as if they were coached to play that way. That type of behavior is not acceptable in high school sports. If I were a player, fan, coach, administrator, or anyone else in that community, I would be ashamed.

As for the referees, there should be discipline from the TSSAA. There is no way they cam say they did not see what happened. One ref was standing right in front of the play! And, the fact that they are from the Lawrence County area, who Bradley has to play next just makes it even that much more suspicious.

I just hope and pray that the young lady is able to play, because it would be a shame for her high school career to end because some bully decided since she couldn't beat her on the basketball court, she would just beat her up.

If you mean that the officials "from the Lawrence County area" are from Region 4 you should know that Region 4 extends from Murfreesboro south to the Alabama line. There are probably officials in Region 4 who could not find Lawrence County with a GPS and to intimate that they would allow a player to be injured in order to better Lawrence County's chances to beat Bradley is beyond stupid.

The Lawrence County conspiracy theory on the refs is a bit extreme I agree …these refs where and are just bad…led by the little Elvis who seemed more worried about his hair than calling or controlling a game.

Jetfan2, I agree that every player is coached to chin the ball but not to swing up as was the case here and blaming it on being too close is just incredulous for if that where the case there would be more hospital visits. And to “just play on†or that “this is not patty cakes†are nice platitudes or excuses for simple minds to more complex issues.

I suspect that the Jet player meant to do no real harm here but it just seems to be instructive that three Jets fouled out, one was given a technical foul, and one of Bradley’s player was sent to the hospital on a night that their basketball skills where materially exposed. Blame it on whatever you want to but it seems to me that the Jets just lost a little more than the game and their composure Thursday night, they lost their character. And as with any team sport, that starts with the coach.

The Lawrence County conspiracy theory on the refs is a bit extreme I agree …these refs where and are just bad…led by the little Elvis who seemed more worried about his hair than calling or controlling a game.

Jetfan2, I agree that every player is coached to chin the ball but not to swing up as was the case here and blaming it on being too close is just incredulous for if that where the case there would be more hospital visits. And to “just play on†or that “this is not patty cakes†are nice platitudes or excuses for simple minds to more complex issues.

I suspect that the Jet player meant to do no real harm here but it just seems to be instructive that three Jets fouled out, one was given a technical foul, and one of Bradley’s player was sent to the hospital on a night that their basketball skills where materially exposed. Blame it on whatever you want to but it seems to me that the Jets just lost a little more than the game and their composure Thursday night, they lost their character. And as with any team sport, that starts with the coach.

I agree with everything that you say EB. The officials were from the South Central Association out of the lower part of Middle Tennessee, assigned by the TSSAA. We had seen little Elvis earlier and he was clearly a man out of his league to call a game of this importance. As for the flagrant foul on Smith, it may not have been intentional but it surely fired up the team. I'd be interested in know if there has been other games in a region championship that invoked the mercy rule, especially on the floor of the home team. As for the comment about the Crossville sports writer saying that the Bearettes were 'nothing special' after he watched them against Coffee County, just consider the source and you'll understand. Another curious call during the game was the technical foul assessed when the Cumberland County shoved the Bradley girl to the floor. They called a technical on her for doing it but there was no personal foul. I don't think that the refs understood the rule book on that or maybe I'm wrong. Can you call a technical foul because of player contact without it also being called a personal foul. It probably should have been ruled a flagrant, intentional foul and the player ejected. Doesn't matter anymore because this whole team will be 'ejected' from further play with they get to tangle with the girls of Riverdale tonight.

Having now seen the replay of this game, it is remarkable that the injured Bearette walked away from the clear out elbow which started at #15 for Cumberland County's waist and went up towards the players head. Very little pressure was being applied and outlet passes where open and while perhaps not intending to send someone to the hospital, it sure appears that #15 went for and certainly got the head. All the damage was from the elbow as the Bearette's head never hit the ground. Yes any sport has its risk but this type of cheap malicious play has no place anywhere.

If you mean that the officials "from the Lawrence County area" are from Region 4 you should know that Region 4 extends from Murfreesboro south to the Alabama line. There are probably officials in Region 4 who could not find Lawrence County with a GPS and to intimate that they would allow a player to be injured in order to better Lawrence County's chances to beat Bradley is beyond stupid.

I am from reg.4and let me say the officials are just bad for the most part, and if little Elvis is who I think he is he got an invite to call the stat tourm. Next week lol

I am from reg.4and let me say the officials are just bad for the most part, and if little Elvis is who I think he is he got an invite to call the stat tourm. Next week lol

If that is true, it's going to be a l o n g week. The good folks from Bradley Central should be glad they only have to contend with them in the Substate - we in Reg. 4 have them all year and you can't adjust to poor officiating.

Looks like Bradley can take their classy act to the house.

Yes Bradley lost in OT by 1 and we appreciate the Jets support of Region 3. LC played a clean and very well coached game and best of luck to them in the state tourny. A post card from LC to the Lady (????) Jets might be appropriate for having slugged out one of Bradley's better players. By the way....did anyone from Riverdale go to the hospital or any CC players teed up in the Jet's 70 (are you joking) point loss. Thats got to be a record..over 100 point loss in regional and sub state games.

Yes Bradley lost in OT by 1 and we appreciate the Jets support of Region 3. LC played a clean and very well coached game and best of luck to them in the state tourny. A post card from LC to the Lady (????) Jets might be appropriate for having slugged out one of Bradley's better players. By the way....did anyone from Riverdale go to the hospital or any CC players teed up in the Jet's 70 (are you joking) point loss. Thats got to be a record..over 100 point loss in regional and sub state games.

Well congrats on losing in OT. I'm sure LC appreciates the well wishes.

They'll need it if they play Riverdale.

Losing is losing........

have a good summer.