CPA vs Stone Memorial

coach77

Cole is a very good player, knows his role, gets great positioning, and deserves all the accolades. But he sure doesn't look like a Mr. Basketball candidate. Looks are very deceiving. Lindsey being in foul trouble resulted in him getting a few more than he should have. But he certainly is a good player.

Congrats to Stone on a great season. They had a good game plan, are well coached, and for the most part, kept their composure under the relentless pressure.They hung tough for a while, but CPA shut down their 3 pt. game and once again, speed kills.

:wacko:

Cole is a very good player, knows his role, gets great positioning, and deserves all the accolades. But he sure doesn't look like a Mr. Basketball candidate. Looks are very deceiving. Lindsey being in foul trouble resulted in him getting a few more than he should have. But he certainly is a good player.

Congrats to Stone on a great season. They had a good game plan, are well coached, and for the most part, kept their composure under the relentless pressure.They hung tough for a while, but CPA shut down their 3 pt. game and once again, speed kills.

I think he is very deserving. He had 16 in the first half while Lindsey only had 2 fouls and 27 for the game. All you have done is backhanded the kid with your keyboard saying he doesnt look Mr. BBall worthy.

Just what is a Mr BBall candidate suppose to look like? A 6'6 long lanky built for the game athlete from Murfreesboro or a 6'2/6'3 shooting guard/slasher/speedy type from Greenbriar?

Edited by LtDan

Keys to beating CPA are: Don't chase Bradshaw- contest his jumpshot(he is a driver first/shooter 2nd) double Lindsey on the block and chase asmiller-make him put it on the floor. Everyone else turn into jump-shooters. Make the role players heroes and you got a chance.

Okay, the Stone Memorial coach must have read your post. They had a solid game plan. They tried to make it half court game. They stuck their best perimeter defender on Allsmiller and didn't leave him. They doubled Lindsey down low, and played off Bradshaw taking away his dribble penetration in the 1st half and daring him to shoot 3's. They also left Bonds unguarded at the 3 point line.

Bradshaw going 4 of 8 from the 3 point line mostly in the 1st half was huge. CPA also made some adjustment towards the end of the 1st quarter. They put Brown on Cole in the 2nd half and that combined with the relentess pressure began to wear SM down. Once CPA had a double digit lead that forced SM to gamble more on defense which played to CPA's strengths and allowed for some transition baskets. CPA made enough FT's to put it away. They also took away the 3 point game from SM in the 2nd half with more pressure up high with Robert Brown putting more pressure on 50 at high and low post. SM's 3's didn't fall for them as much in the 2nd half.

It's a pick your poison with CPA. You take away one thing they kill you with another. Wharton's dribble pentration moves were huge once SM was forced to play man and play defense further away from the basket than they wanted to play.

All that said...SM is a great team and very well coached. They deserved to be final four for sure. They don't have a front court with huge guys, but the ones they have are very good in Cole and Dishman. Their back court guys are quick and are great shooters. Solid team for sure. It's no surprise they made it this far.

Should be another good game tomorrow. Mitchell sounds like they have ferocious defense and will try to guard everyone tightly. That has backfired for most teams trying to guard CPA full court. East Lit had the athletes to hang with CPA defensively and did this well but they were one of the few that could do it.

Does Mitchell play a similar pressing style to East Lit for those that have seen them? I did not get to see the early game.

Ha, Lindsey proved he couldn't guard him either! Thats why he picked up the frustration fouls. Thats what Cole does to players, they dont know why they cant guard him. Cole is AA Mr. Basketball Period! I know a good shrink to help with Maddux & Bradshaws anger problems whinning to the refs every call. But unfortunately he is booked with Nebunyn & Btwsherrif for a while. I have to pull for CPA though against The west! Recruiting isnt as bad as arrogance!

:wacko:

I think he is very deserving. He had 16 in the first half while Lindsey only had 2 fouls and 27 for the game. All you have done is backhanded the kid with your keyboard saying he doesnt look Mr. BBall worthy.

Just what is a Mr BBall candidate suppose to look like? A 6'6 long lanky built for the game athlete from Murfreesboro or a 6'2/6'3 shooting guard/slasher/speedy type from Greenbriar?

I in no way meant to backhand the kid, and if it sounded that way, I sincerely apologize. I was not talking about his game, or this game, where he played great. I thought I made that clear but you obviously were wanting to attack someone after losing. So you not only attacked me, but also two CPA players who are also very deserving. If anything it was a compliment in that it is no denying he does not have the physical appearance of a Mr. BB candidate, but plays like one.I also complimented him by pointing out that CPA had trouble guarding him, especially with Lindsey on the bench.

I never said he wasn't deserving - show me where I did. You are the one who attacked two players and backhanded them, not me. Gee - so touchy!

Ha, Lindsey proved he couldn't guard him either! Thats why he picked up the frustration fouls. Thats what Cole does to players, they dont know why they cant guard him. Cole is AA Mr. Basketball Period! I know a good shrink to help with Maddux & Bradshaws anger problems whinning to the refs every call. But unfortunately he is booked with Nebunyn & Btwsherrif for a while. I have to pull for CPA though against The west! Recruiting isnt as bad as arrogance!

Classy of you to congratulate CPA for beating your team (that can't be guarded) by 18.

And classy for whining about recruiting instead of giving the CPA athletes and coaches any credit for a good game.

And classy for criticizing Maddux and Bradshaw for whining while your player takes a swing and gets a technical.

Please cheer for the West. We don't need your support.

I in no way meant to backhand the kid, and if it sounded that way, I sincerely apologize. I was not talking about his game, or this game, where he played great. I thought I made that clear but you obviously were wanting to attack someone after losing. So you not only attacked me, but also two CPA players who are also very deserving. If anything it was a compliment in that it is no denying he does not have the physical appearance of a Mr. BB candidate, but plays like one.I also complimented him by pointing out that CPA had trouble guarding him, especially with Lindsey on the bench.

I never said he wasn't deserving - show me where I did. You are the one who attacked two players and backhanded them, not me. Gee - so touchy!

No sir, you said Lindsey in foul trouble resulted him to get more than he should have. Where did I say anyhere from your post he wasnt deserving. I SAID HE WAS! Spin it if you wish. Its your tale, tell how you want.

FYI, I have no team. So my team didnt lose. Just observing.

Edited by LtDan

The reality is you had two great teams that both have great players. Per size Cole is probably the best player in the state and there is no close competition. Its kind of crazy.

I did not see the thrown punch, of course as usual the person that started it (CPA kid) was the one that got away with it. I kind of wish in college and elsewhere where they allow the officials to go to the monitors for flagrant fouls that they could go see what initiated the issue.

I hope CPA and Stone fans do not begin to argue and fight over this game. I love both the CPA girls and guys team. Both are well coached and have solid and really good players. Stone does as well.

It did originally sound like there was a post that said Cole had a better day due to 21 being out of the game. That is how I originally took it. But your post also pointed out that Cole is deserving of his accolades due to his not looking like a Mr. TN finalist. I have to agree with you on the eye test. But the reality is, 21 scored on off rebounds and not on position against Cole. He got outplayed. He also did not draw a charge on 12 like the official called. He earned I think every foul he had. Cole would have prob gotten his points regardless. We can leave it at that.

And jerk can be said all you want but it is true that CPA and other private schools have a huge advantage even when not actively recruiting. Eventually all private schools will be taken and put into D2. But until then, I still enjoy watching players and teams that we would not normally see if these schools were not playing D1. I enjoyed watching CPA despite it being an unfair advantage.

Lets keep it classy guys. Two good teams, two good coaches. some really good players.

• Upvote 1