Change in number of classifications

Indian

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20120322/SPORTS/303220017/-1/7daysarchives/ODOM-TSSAA-will-consider-changes-class-format

This is the first I've heard of it being seriously discussed or considered. I think 4 classes would be ideal given the number of new schools that have opened in the last few years, with more-probably mostly charters-on the way.

It's not easy to work it out with the new schools mentioned now in the mix but I think a four-class system would have cutoffs of roughly 400, 750 and 1200.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree 4 classes would be the best. Never figured out ($$$$) why we have 5 football classes with 53 less football teams and 3 basketball classes. T$$AA create the rivalries again like they were in the 60's and 70's and $$$ will not be your issue.

All I hear is travel would be too much for 4 classes. It does not get much worse than it is now, if any. I think it would be better, as with smaller districts, teams would be able to play the local games, to save travel. Also would give options for the few far away games to be played on Friday and Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

4 classes would be great it would give some smaller schools more of a chance

I don't care if you have 20 classes some teams will be the smallest of the group and most schools have around 12 players and only 5 play at a time, its going to get where a championship means nothing, because someone keeps belittling the competion where rivals mean nothing any more and teams have to travel across the state to play.