Umpires make it difficult for powerhouse teams it seems

Softballghost

I have been to several tournaments and games this year and watched several umpires make it harder for teams like Riverdale, Beech, Goodpasture and a few other usually dominant teams. It seems the strike zone for these schools are smaller they have to pitch it right down the middle for a strike, forget about working corners, and when they are up to bat the strike zone expands. It is very biased. This is why you see the pitchers who should be dominating giving up hits to batters that should still be in rec league ball. Anyone can hit a ball down the middle. Its only hurting the teams who are getting the calls because when it gets closer to tournament time these biased umpires change the way of thinking. These teams still win because of thier dedication to excellence and will to win. You only make it more difficult for the teams who need to learn to hit against a good pitcher in the long run.

I have been to several tournaments and games this year and watched several umpires make it harder for teams like Riverdale, Beech, Goodpasture and a few other usually dominant teams. It seems the strike zone for these schools are smaller they have to pitch it right down the middle for a strike, forget about working corners, and when they are up to bat the strike zone expands. It is very biased. This is why you see the pitchers who should be dominating giving up hits to batters that should still be in rec league ball. Anyone can hit a ball down the middle. Its only hurting the teams who are getting the calls because when it gets closer to tournament time these biased umpires change the way of thinking. These teams still win because of thier dedication to excellence and will to win. You only make it more difficult for the teams who need to learn to hit against a good pitcher in the long run.

I bet the half of the people on here would have the opposite reaction.

Edited by zachsdad

Please. Blame the umpires??? The biggest change is the move of the pitcher's plate to 43 feet. Has closed the gap between the upper echelon teams. Seeing less 10 run rule games than in the past. Plus I think that the lower level teams are getting better. More girls playing summer ball than ever before. These teams are also now better coached. Less defensive mistakes and more pitchers who can throw stikes. It is plus for the game that the contests are more competitive. I agree that the upper echelon teams do win but can not put on cruise control because they have great coaching and players.

Please. Blame the umpires??? The biggest change is the move of the pitcher's plate to 43 feet. Has closed the gap between the upper echelon teams. Seeing less 10 run rule games than in the past. Plus I think that the lower level teams are getting better. More girls playing summer ball than ever before. These teams are also now better coached. Less defensive mistakes and more pitchers who can throw stikes. It is plus for the game that the contests are more competitive. I agree that the upper echelon teams do win but can not put on cruise control because they have great coaching and players.

I agree Batters are hitting the ball more from 43 feet, but the good pitchers have a hard time working thier pitches such as corners. Just observe I may be totally wrong but from what I have noticed it looks like the better pitchers are having to put the ball in a coffee can and the others strike zone is greatly expanded.

Id say next time you see Riverdale play someone in a tourney watch the calls behind the plate for each team

Are you Rachel's dad? Riverdale won the only tournament they've played in so far this season and have given up 9 runs in 16 games. There can't be much of a difference with numbers like that, unless you want to shut out everybody.

The only problem Riverdale might have this year is Rachel being overused. It looks like they'll play 50+ games this season and she'll pitch pretty much all of them. Like last year, she'll be worn out by state.

Edited by fastpitchdad

No not Albritton's dad nor any relation. Its just something I seen and like I said it just seems that way. I did watch Albritton pitch against Meigs and the strike zone for her was alot tighter than the opposing pitcher. Then I watched Beech play a game and again because of who they are it seems like they are expected to throw the ball right down the middle and inturn takes away from what pitchers have been taught. Hit corners work your pitches! Same could be said for Cartwright at Goodpasture I watched a game where the umpire would not give outside corner to her, and yet the opposing team got it all game. You say it don't happen but if your not biased just sit back and watch one game. It's almost as if they are held to a different set of rules because the teams they play for. I am not biased because I literally don't have a dog in the fight. My daughter played for public school and we would play teams of that caliber and take a beating but it seems now its just getting harder for the pitchers to do what they have been coached.

No not Albritton's dad nor any relation. Its just something I seen and like I said it just seems that way. I did watch Albritton pitch against Meigs and the strike zone for her was alot tighter than the opposing pitcher. Then I watched Beech play a game and again because of who they are it seems like they are expected to throw the ball right down the middle and inturn takes away from what pitchers have been taught. Hit corners work your pitches! Same could be said for Cartwright at Goodpasture I watched a game where the umpire would not give outside corner to her, and yet the opposing team got it all game. You say it don't happen but if your not biased just sit back and watch one game. It's almost as if they are held to a different set of rules because the teams they play for. I am not biased because I literally don't have a dog in the fight. My daughter played for public school and we would play teams of that caliber and take a beating but it seems now its just getting harder for the pitchers to do what they have been coached.

I played a lot of baseball growing up along with watching my sister play quite a bit of softball as she's grown up so i've seen umpires from baseball and softball. One thing i've noticed is that a lot of umpires call a certain way and not biased toward certain pitchers.. Some will give you a little bit extra on the corners and some won't give you a corner whatsoever, but i've always had the attitude that it doesn't matter as long as they are consistant with what pitches they call. My biggest problem with umpires is inconsistancy with the way they call pitches. I absolutely cannot stand an umpire who will call one pitch a strike and then 2 pitches later call the exact same pitch a ball and do that throughout a game.