Battle of the Bluff 2012

BigG

Well, since AlcoaDad got my vote for poster of the year last year with his consistenly outstanding game reports, we may have to hire him to cover the "big" games (or maybe gas money and the cost of admission).

Thanks Mad Dawg.....I was at the Alcoa Game with Sevier County (they have a very well coached team). The game ended in a 3 - 3 tie. I will be going to some local games as the Alcoa schedule allows. This is my sons last season and I can't miss anything (plus I coach the Alcoa Keepers) They are nice outing for my son and I. I am willing to take gas money and admission!!!

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wired, I actually agree with some of what you are saying ( I know, can you believe it?)

I wish CAK had played in the Bearden tournament, but coach had plans to play in one in Memphis. With 11 teams now in CAK's district it leaves little room for the high caliber teams.. I liked their Pre-season (Farragut, Bearden, DB, and West) but they haven't been challenged nearly as much as Catholic (if at all).

I don't really understand the "has" to play. They are district games, they don't get a choice.

I also didn't say they played a hard schedule, just that they have one of the most talented players they have had in a long time. Poke fun at their games all you want. It doesn't take away from the fact that they have legitimate division 1 players on the squad.

I saw Catholics schedule, too, and couldn't believe they had this game right after a difficult Bearden tourney. I do think, however, that Catholic has the talent to overcome this difficult schedule and play a great game tonight (as long at this thunder goes away).

I also agree with the dead boards. This is the first "bait" we have had in a while!

You going to the game?

There is such a big difference in the programs at the A/AA level. I will not get into the public vs. private debate, because I don't see any point in it. I just notice certain things as Alcoa plays various schools. Booster Clubs make a huge difference. A good booster club raises money, provides support and basically makes the difference in how top notch the program is. Here is an example: We go to the Kingsport Tournament and our boosters have raised enough money to pay for two nights of rooms, provide all kinds of fresh fruit, snacks and drinks before and after games, provide all the meals for the boys except for two lunches and basically make sure we have everything we need to be successful. We went 3 - 1. Our school provides a bus for us to ride on to all games except those in county (Maryville, Heritage, William Blount and Greenback). Many teams come to play us and the parents have to form a caravan of Vans to get boys to and from games. I give huge props to those parents for making sure the players get to games. Facilities are also a big deal. Our boys use the football field which is basically turned over to us during the season. It is always lined, and always mowed like it should be. We have played schools that scramble to find a field and it may or may not be anywhere close to the right size. We have lights, most do not, or if the field does have lights, the soccer program is not allowed to turn them on. We have a practice field, most do not. Our teams have things like practice tops and pre-game tops, many are lucky to have uniforms. Coaching is also a big area of separation. Our coach is a former player and has all the various licenses you can get. Many teams are coached by willing parents (with a sponsor that is on the school staff) that may or may not have any soccer knowledge. Again, great props to those parents for being willing to do what is needed to have a soccer team. At the same time, many of the schools would not notice or even care if soccer did not exist. Soccer does not draw enough fans at any of these schools to even begin to pay for itself. The commitment the school makes to have a top flight program is key. Many of the A/AA schools also do not have feeder programs that large metro areas enjoy. There are no clubs or even AYSO where they are located and when they get a soccer player, they may have only been playing since they went out for the team in Middle School. That makes a huge difference. I can look at a high school team and in many cases tell you which players are club players and which are not based on the skills I see. I will also mention a pet peeve here. If a smaller school is located near an area with a strong club program, you run the risk of the club trying to talk your best player(s) into not playing high school soccer, just club. My son enjoyed playing club, but he really loves playing for his high school and being a Tornado. One player at A/AA can make a huge difference in how competitive you are.

Enough of my rant. For all the differences, I am glad more and more high schools are playing soccer and giving boys and girls the opportunity to experience this game that has been so good to all of us.

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

Big thanks to everyone who game out Monday to support. it was a great game and we were able to raise over 3,000 dollars for the MS foundation!! Props to Jamie Petrik and others involved in making this event a success!

As far as the game goes-- Catholic is a very very strong team. The majority of them have been playing together for a good bit. They have a free flowing, joga bonito style of attack which makes defending it very hard. Tim baker is one of the best players in the state in my mind, and possible the most underrated player around (i play on his club team). Other players like Suddy, Mark, Ben, and Alec add to the attack. It is a very dribble penetration based offense with slotting balls through the back line. They also use a lot of 1,2's and other quick passes to open up opportunities. It is free flowing and fluid.

Catholic's defense is very solid. Tanner, Noah, Gabe, and Mark are organized. Andrew is their other defender and should be back soon (hamstring). Catholic has great team chemistry and play together very well. They know where each other are all the time.

This game was good for CAK. It gave us a good test and really showed us our strengths and weaknesses. Field was a little slick in the second half, but other than that perfect conditions!

Credit to Catholic for a great game!! They are a great team and a great group of kids. It was a clean, hard played game. I enjoyed it!

BigG-- can you tell me how to change my username? This one's a little outdated