who will win the big wartburg vs. o.s.?

17bulldogs

Posted by kingbrian3:

Didn't mean to ruffle some feathers about my comment on Wartburg having the upperhand over OS in middle school when the currnet junior classes went at it severeal years ago, but the Bulldogs played in the TMSAA Championship game two straight seasons, while OS didn't make the title game.

Ok, OS didn't make the championship games, but they still beat Wartburg head to head. Don't leave out facts when you try to make your case just because they prove you wrong.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSHSMAN, you are correct that OS beat Wartburg twice, but I believe that OS, Rockwood and Wartburg were three very good middle school teams and each program is reaping the benefits of these fine players. I think that a case could be made for each of these three high school teams as Region 2AA Favorites for the 2003 season. But yes, Wartburg played in back-to-back TMSAA championship games with this current group of juniors.

As for the OS@Wartburg game next Friday, lets talk about why each team will win. I really think this game is too close to call right now. I believe Wartburg has an edge in offensive weapons (Armes, Gunter, Aytes, Daugherty, Knight, Hawn), while OS plays tougher D and has a huge advantage in the kicking game. I really think this game will be decided by a touchdown or less either way.

Guest Alcoa03

just because you all beat alcoa and your what 6-2 or something like that you all think you all are the crap. You schedule dosent even come close to Alcoa's none of the 2a schools do. Yea i'll give your props wartburg and oliversprings caught Alcoa off gaurd. I bet if you all played them again it would be a totally different game. Our inside linebaker went out during the oliver springs game so that hurt us. But i'm not making excuses and you beat us. You just better hope for you sake you don't see us in the playoffs.

I know Alcoa plays incounty rival maryville but other then that who do you all play? Hertiage is 5A but is terrible this year. Who else do you all play that makes you say "Our schedule doesn't even compare" Because what your saying is your schedule is by far tougher and I don't think that's true. Who is on your schedule that's good and we'll compare. Ok never mind I went ad checked myself. Maryville and William Blount.... that's it. West is so so but you all only lost like 13-22 so they can't be that good. Ok I admit your schedule is tough no doubt but not BY FAR. anyways to the game at hand. The person that talked about winning the middle school matchup. Please that has no baring what so ever. In Middle school they don't have the best Offensive line coach around like the high school does. They also don't have one of the best defensive coaches around like High school does. Nor the great player person and experienced coaching of Johnson that the High School does. Players really find out how good they are in High School. Middle school showings are only a start to see competition and everyday practicing but yet has no baring on comparing a player to then and when he is a Junior or Senior in High shcool But the game should be interesting.

Alcoa03, besides Maryville, Oliver Springs has three teams -Smith COunty, Kingston, and Boyd Buchanon that are better than West, WB, Heritage..

Speaking of Region Teams, Rockwood destroyed Region 1 second best team West Greene 40-0. It look like a sweep is very possible for region 2 teams again this year. That is why Next weeks Oliver Springs vs. Wartburg game is very important.

If Rockwood beats ALcoa ( which they shoudl easily I think), they will be pulling for OS so they dont have to play Sweetwater in the 2nd round at sweetwater. IF Wartburg were to win, OS would most likely play the Bulldogs again in week 2 of the playoffs. If OS win, ROckwood would play at OS and Wartburg would travel to Sweetwater. OF course this is if all region teams win in week one- which is a distinct possibilty as evidenced by Rockwoods thrashing of West Greene and Sullivan out of region one in the last three weeks.

If Rockwood wins, they'll be pulling for Wartburg in order to stay away from Sweetwater. Assuming Rockwood wins and OS wins then it's

1.Sweetwater

2.OS

3.Rockwood

4.Wartburg

That puts RW and SW playing in round two.

IF Wartburg wins then it's

1. Sweetwater

2. Wartburg

3. Oliver Springs

4. Rockwood

That puts Rockwood playing at Wartburg in round two and the Tigers would much rather travel to Wartburg than Sweetwater in round two.

The Tiebreaker with three teams at 3-2 gives the advantage to Wartburg with an 8-2 record. However, Rockwood would not finish second of the three with a better record because the tiebreaker process starts over after a spot has been decided. Therefore OS would finish 3rd and Rockwood 4th because of OS's head-to-head victory.

[Edited by goosevol on 10-25-02 11:23A]