Chuckey-Doak at Cumberland Gap

Graff

55-27 Gap, but not that close. Gap gave up a cheap safety and a long TD run. Gap started taking a knee on KO's in the second half and gave it over on downs inside the C-D 5 yard line at the end. Coulda been an uglier score, no need for it though. A win is a win. Good luck to C-D the rest of the way.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate or not here is what the title should be

--------The BRAC--------

Home of 3 State Title Appearances and 2 State Titles- Greeneville

Home of 3 to 4 playoff teams a season - CD SG WG GCHS CHS CGHS

This is a pretty strong conference.. Put Greeneville aside.. Top to Bottom their is no such thing as a easy game in the BRAC.. Every team has a chance to beat anyone..

I'm not sure what your problem is with CD but it don't really bother me or anything cause nothing you can say will change my mind.. I've seen this team play for sometime now and I know what this team is capable of. This can be the best record CD has had ever if they can get past GAP tonight.

CD lost 3 year starting QB and a 2,000 Yard rusher last season adding the playoffs and a all time sack leader in a season off the defense. and a lot of people didn't think this team would recover from those losses.. But they keep proving people wrong and continue to win.. I'm really proud of this team

GO CD

Coat Tail Riders.....I don't blame ya! That's like Kentucky bragging about Alabama being in the SEC.

Seen them play a few times. I can't for the life of me understand how "they are so hard to stop." Joke of an offense. Malone's been the only player they've had for the past 2 seasons. Great back. Tons of speed. But that's all they got. Not to mention their defense may actually be one of the worst defenses in the area as well. They've got people around here so fooled it's ridiculous. It doesn't hurt they play a joke of a schedule though. Gap by 20.

Turns out Pops you were right. Once the Gap got their DE's to stay home, it was basically the end of C-D's offense. Malone had 2 TD's of over 40 yards before that adjustment, afterwards he worked for every yard.

As far as your comment on C-D's defense. The Gap put up over 500 yards on them. The Gaps QB was 17-21 for 300 even with 3 TD's and rushed for 3 more. Their starting RB had 123 on 8 carries. I didn't look at the rush yards for the QB or other RB's but the total offense was over 500.

Props to Gap last night.. They exposed CD biggest hole on defense which is their coverage it's been this way for years now.. They def surprised me how effcient they was last night..Big props to Gap good luck to you guys the rest of the way as you may walk through the BRAC besides Greeneville..

Even though we lost i'm very proud of this team they did well just played no defense..

Bryce Malone had well over 200 yards in the 3rd he wasn't really stopped all night.. Kid is a beast and if Gap didn't make adjustments he could of been at 400 lol But I firmly believe that CD will go 7-3 this season cause I just don't see WG,NG,SG beating us

Turns out Pops you were right. Once the Gap got their DE's to stay home, it was basically the end of C-D's offense. Malone had 2 TD's of over 40 yards before that adjustment, afterwards he worked for every yard.

As far as your comment on C-D's defense. The Gap put up over 500 yards on them. The Gaps QB was 17-21 for 300 even with 3 TD's and rushed for 3 more. Their starting RB had 123 on 8 carries. I didn't look at the rush yards for the QB or other RB's but the total offense was over 500.

Graff, the question most people have in Greene County is who will win the match up between CD and WG for the county championship. What are your thoughts after seeing both teams play against your Gappers?

I'm gonna go with Doak, Bud. C-D's bigger up front and Malone is a good back. C-D's offense hinges on getting Malone to the edge, or into open field at the linebacker level, so he can use speed and athleticism. If the Buff's can set the edge on defense and force him to run in traffic, maybe they can slow him down. If he gets the edge, or if WG can't keep their linebackers clean, he's gonna run right by everybody. He had over 200 against the Gap, almost 100 came from 2 runs in the 1st quarter, after the Gap denied him the edge and forced him back inside, it took the rest of the game for him to earn the other hundred and something. On defense, I don't think WG can run straight at them, so misdirection and speed to the edge should be more effective. If WG could throw the ball, play action to the flats and play action to the shallow corner pattern all night long. The Gap also threw the wheel route after they loosened the C-D defense up by throwing downfield. We were able to average about 12 yards per carry on the ground, because of the threat of the pass. All that being said, WG just doesn't match up well with C-D (my opinion) WG offense plays right into C-D's defensive strength, and WG youth and size up front on defense, plays to C-D's favor when Doak has the ball.

In all seriousness, I know Doak has come a long way since years past. I know it's an exciting time for their program. Putting together some serious wins. Just not as proven as some of the other teams in the area. I've seen them play a couple of times the last 2 or 3 years and just had that feeling they were running into a much improved team in Gap last night. Saw Gap at the Jamboree and noticed athletes that were pretty impressive, especially at the skill positions. I know both teams will be pretty high seeds going into the post season. Congrats on the win though.

I'm gonna go with Doak, Bud. C-D's bigger up front and Malone is a good back. C-D's offense hinges on getting Malone to the edge, or into open field at the linebacker level, so he can use speed and athleticism. If the Buff's can set the edge on defense and force him to run in traffic, maybe they can slow him down. If he gets the edge, or if WG can't keep their linebackers clean, he's gonna run right by everybody. He had over 200 against the Gap, almost 100 came from 2 runs in the 1st quarter, after the Gap denied him the edge and forced him back inside, it took the rest of the game for him to earn the other hundred and something. On defense, I don't think WG can run straight at them, so misdirection and speed to the edge should be more effective. If WG could throw the ball, play action to the flats and play action to the shallow corner pattern all night long. The Gap also threw the wheel route after they loosened the C-D defense up by throwing downfield. We were able to average about 12 yards per carry on the ground, because of the threat of the pass. All that being said, WG just doesn't match up well with C-D (my opinion) WG offense plays right into C-D's defensive strength, and WG youth and size up front on defense, plays to C-D's favor when Doak has the ball.

Just wanted to hear an outsiders thoughts. I have seen both them play and thought CD would win the line of scrimmage in that game. However, I think WG has more athletes. I think it will be a good game and probably for the county championship.

Maybe WG can install the spread in the next 3 weeks :)

On a serious note, I don't understand why C-D and WG don't do more than left, right, up the gut. C-D seemed to have as many athletes as the Gap, yet for the Gap all they had to do was focus on Malone. On the other hand, when the Gap was on offense they were forcing C-D to defend 6. 4 WR a RB and a QB... You gotta like those odds, and the results speak for themselves. Since the doors were opened at the Gap they're 7-3 versus WG and 8-2 versus C-D, and only .500 (5-5) versus SG, but, SG will put athletes on the field and throw it enough to make you account for everyone. I know there have been years that the Gap didn't have half the athletes as the Greene Co. schools, but won because of the reasons I've mentioned.

Maybe WG can install the spread in the next 3 weeks icon_e_smile.gif

On a serious note, I don't understand why C-D and WG don't do more than left, right, up the gut. C-D seemed to have as many athletes as the Gap, yet for the Gap all they had to do was focus on Malone. On the other hand, when the Gap was on offense they were forcing C-D to defend 6. 4 WR a RB and a QB... You gotta like those odds, and the results speak for themselves. Since the doors were opened at the Gap they're 7-3 versus WG and 8-2 versus C-D, and only .500 (5-5) versus SG, but, SG will put athletes on the field and throw it enough to make you account for everyone. I know there have been years that the Gap didn't have half the athletes as the Greene Co. schools, but won because of the reasons I've mentioned.

I thought West Greene had a 4-6 record against the Gap but I may be mistaken. And you have to take in to account the the Buffs were perrenial losers winning 0 to 1 game a year until Coach Case took over a few years ago. I think he is 3-3 against them which would put you back at .500. The fourth win against the Gap was the last win for old coach Barry Carter before he went on his 20+ losing streak and before Joe Case.