Covington @ Haywood

CHARGERFAN

I'm not downing your coach. I'm speaking of the one game i saw them play last year. I'm sure i have more history with covington high and the chargers than any of you come latelys. I listened to the hype all year last year. I'm just saying i hope the chargers don't have false hope again because of bias. The program has definitely improved.If you were at that Maplewood game you couldn't have been proud of that performance. I was very disappointed to say the least. They tried to run the same play with the same running back all night. I truly hope they win it all. "Garland Rebels and Covington Chargers is all it used to be for me." Good luck Chargers."

I'm 100% sure you don't have more history dude. I graduated from Byars-Hall in 1962 (Covington was formed when Byars-Hall and Frasier merged). I have only missed 5 games played by Covington High since 1986. That includes home, away, bowl, or playoff games. I had 3 kids graduate from Covington, too. I've been there for a long time.

I was extremely proud of last year's team. They overachieved to make the state quarterfinals. Our best player (Carlos Williams) was lost to injury early in the season. We ran what we had run all year. it is like Bear Bryant said long ago "You dance with who brung you".

I'm sorry the one game you saw last year did not live up to your expectations. We won't mind if you don't show up at all this year, especially if you plan to "laugh" at our kids.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey we are cheering for the same team thumb[1].gif Covington has the best talent it has had in years and it would be a shame not to play our best ball in the playoffs. Our run defense is strong and I suppose I'd like to see our pass defense play to the same standards. If we can stay healthy I see no reason why we can't make a strong showing in the playoffs. Going undefeated in the regular season would be great but if we have to endure a little "learning experience" during the season I'd rather lose now and learn from it. I'm just glad we are able to have this discussion about how good our team can be rather than be in a down year and really having something to complain about lol

I'm 100% sure you don't have more history dude. I graduated from Byars-Hall in 1962 (Covington was formed when Byars-Hall and Frasier merged). I have only missed 5 games played by Covington High since 1986. That includes home, away, bowl, or playoff games. I had 3 kids graduate from Covington, too. I've been there for a long time.

I was extremely proud of last year's team. They overachieved to make the state quarterfinals. Our best player (Carlos Williams) was lost to injury early in the season. We ran what we had run all year. it is like Bear Bryant said long ago "You dance with who brung you".

I'm sorry the one game you saw last year did not live up to your expectations. We won't mind if you don't show up at all this year, especially if you plan to "laugh" at our kids.

I didn't say I laughed at our kids (They're mine as much as they're yours) I said I laughed at the game. The kids played hard and done everything they knew to do. They'll keep improving, unless they too begin to think they're already perfect. I hope they go undefeated. Like I said best wishes to the Chargers.

The Sonny_Moore power rankings show Covington as a 23 point favorite at Haywood.

I think as the season goes on, these rankings get more accurate. In their last game, Covington was a 48 point favorite over Gibson county. With the 64-19 final, that made the actual spread 45 points. Seems pretty close to me.

How do others see this one?

yea but sonny was on vacation that week and his little nephew bubba jr. done the ratings for sonny.i know for a fact he can;t count past 19, he lost his big toe in a bicycle accident.but i'll have to say, he made uncle sonny happy.moral of the story, you never know what might happen on any given friday night!

Haywood, did somebody say Haywood? Haywood used to be synonymous with successfull winning football(a powerhouse), however with the arrival of their current superintendent the football program and school has suffered tremendously. Much incompetentcy and lack of leadership. I think they have possibly lost more games in the last 5 years than the previous 95 years combined. They have been pitiful.

Anyway Cov wins this one big 49-14

Haywood, did somebody say Haywood? Haywood used to be synonymous with successfull winning football(a powerhouse), however with the arrival of their current superintendent the football program and school has suffered tremendously. Much incompetentcy and lack of leadership. I think they have possibly lost more games in the last 5 years than the previous 95 years combined. They have been pitiful.

Anyway Cov wins this one big 49-14

I agree with those stats, haywood has lost more in past 5 years than they have previous 95 years. the ship seems to be headed in right direction. They have a lot of fight in them this year and have responded better each game. ...bout time for another upset..just ask Dyer County.

The new Max_preps listings continue to show Covington at #1 in 4A.

In the rankings for Tennessee regardless of classification, they have us at #14, right behind Riverdale. That is some respect.

In addition, Johnston White is second inthe state in rushing, per Murphy_Fair.

Jalen Hurd is averaging 239.1 yds rushing per game with 1674 yards and 22 TDs in 7 games.

Johnston is averaging 224.2 yds, with 1345 yards and 14 TD's in 6 games.

Go Chargers!

Regarding Haywood, see the following link. This says (in part)

"Tennessee's Haywood High School (which has consecutively played every year since 1911) is the 6th all-time winningest football program in Tennessee (609-349-32)".

It is amazing to me that they have let this proud program slip as far as they have.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

More on Haywood's history. I have looked back at their football history. I suggest that you go look at their records.

http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_haywood2000.htm

Here's a summary of the few losing seasons that Haywood has experienced:

1940 - 1969 - 5 losing seasons

1970-1999 - 4 losing seasons

2000-2008 - 3 losing seasons

Then since 2008, there have been 3 losing seasons in a row, plus this current season where they are losing again. I wonder that there is not a fan uprising in Haywood County. I would like to know from some fans over there. Have y'all just lost interest, or can the boosters not influence the direction things are going, or what.

I do feel for you. Y'all deserve better than you are getting.

More on Haywood's history. I have looked back at their football history. I suggest that you go look at their records.

http://www.hsfdataba...haywood2000.htm

Here's a summary of the few losing seasons that Haywood has experienced:

1940 - 1969 - 5 losing seasons

1970-1999 - 4 losing seasons

2000-2008 - 3 losing seasons

Then since 2008, there have been 3 losing seasons in a row, plus this current season where they are losing again. I wonder that there is not a fan uprising in Haywood County. I would like to know from some fans over there. Have y'all just lost interest, or can the boosters not influence the direction things are going, or what.

I do feel for you. Y'all deserve better than you are getting.

ChargerFan, I think it is a combination of a few things. And believe me, the true fans of the Tomcats are wondering the same thing you are. First, if you have not heard there have been quite a few problems and questions about the school system as a whole. Many people pulled their kids out and quite a few of the families that could afford it have gone to private schools in Jackson. Second, I hate to say it, but many of the kids that should be playing football in Haywood either are too lazy to play, more concerned about basketball or baseball and are not playing (which I can understand on concentrating on one sport to better yourself for college opportunities, but it's high school I think you should play every sport you can play!), or have gotten caught up in the wrong crowd. I can think of many athletes that played until around freshman year over the past 8-10 years and then strayed away because of the last reason. Thirdly, the coaching changes that have taken place over the past 4 seasons haven't helped either. These kids need a since of stability, and the changes over the past few seasons have not allowed that stability to be there. As some of the posts mentioned earlier, I think the program may be heading in the right direction. The record this year could easily have at least two more W's added to the list. But, the team lost it late in both games. I think that comes with knowing how to win and finishing games, which these kids who are juniors and seniors have not ever had that kind of experience in highschool, but hopefully that will soon change. The Freshman and Middle school programs are very talented and are use to winning, so hopefully the three reasons I gave you above will not be a factor in the next couple of years and Haywood will be able to get back on top.

ChargerFan, I think it is a combination of a few things. And believe me, the true fans of the Tomcats are wondering the same thing you are. First, if you have not heard there have been quite a few problems and questions about the school system as a whole. Many people pulled their kids out and quite a few of the families that could afford it have gone to private schools in Jackson. Second, I hate to say it, but many of the kids that should be playing football in Haywood either are too lazy to play, more concerned about basketball or baseball and are not playing (which I can understand on concentrating on one sport to better yourself for college opportunities, but it's high school I think you should play every sport you can play!), or have gotten caught up in the wrong crowd. I can think of many athletes that played until around freshman year over the past 8-10 years and then strayed away because of the last reason. Thirdly, the coaching changes that have taken place over the past 4 seasons haven't helped either. These kids need a since of stability, and the changes over the past few seasons have not allowed that stability to be there. As some of the posts mentioned earlier, I think the program may be heading in the right direction. The record this year could easily have at least two more W's added to the list. But, the team lost it late in both games. I think that comes with knowing how to win and finishing games, which these kids who are juniors and seniors have not ever had that kind of experience in highschool, but hopefully that will soon change. The Freshman and Middle school programs are very talented and are use to winning, so hopefully the three reasons I gave you above will not be a factor in the next couple of years and Haywood will be able to get back on top.

I'm glad that y'all have some signs of encouragement. Not that I would like Covington getting beat by the Tomcats on a regular basis, but the rivalry has been there a while and it's a shame to see it fall back. In addition, my late father was a Haywood grad. We also know some folks who were Tomcat fans and good Memphis Tiger boosters, so we hate it for them.

I do remember seeing some good middle school teams in Brownsville when my son was coaching at Crestview Middle. That usually translates into better high school teams. Hopefully you folks can get together and improve your squad.