West at Powell

WestHigh4Life

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just would like West to show up this year unlike last year's game...It was embarrasing to sit in the cold and not even see the boys compete at all. Granted Powell was very talented, but West had talent too and I don't know if they underestimated them or what, but that game was not even as close as the score was..I feel Powell could have put up 40 if they really wanted. I love West and always will, but there have been games this year that they look good and others they just look unfocussed (Lenoir City, Bearden, and even South Doyle on Friday)...

I think what will be key in this game is how many penalties West will accumulate this week and I don't know if Powell has this problem or not so Powell fans can chime in... But West has been flagged for late hits, block in the backs, face masks, unsportsmanlike conducts and offsides and its not good to see especially when we are this late in the season..This is crucial if you want to challenge for a gold ball and until West doesnt make these silly mistakes then we could see Powell taking advantage of this and winning again.

Question for Powell fans...What would you say is your strengths and weaknesses this year?

I think Rang has done a wonderful job this year for Powell and I miss him as West's defensive coordinator.

Go Rebels!

I just would like West to show up this year unlike last year's game...It was embarrasing to sit in the cold and not even see the boys compete at all. Granted Powell was very talented, but West had talent too and I don't know if they underestimated them or what, but that game was not even as close as the score was..I feel Powell could have put up 40 if they really wanted. I love West and always will, but there have been games this year that they look good and others they just look unfocussed (Lenoir City, Bearden, and even South Doyle on Friday)...

I think what will be key in this game is how many penalties West will accumulate this week and I don't know if Powell has this problem or not so Powell fans can chime in... But West has been flagged for late hits, block in the backs, face masks, unsportsmanlike conducts and offsides and its not good to see especially when we are this late in the season..This is crucial if you want to challenge for a gold ball and until West doesnt make these silly mistakes then we could see Powell taking advantage of this and winning again.

Question for Powell fans...What would you say is your strengths and weaknesses this year?

I think Rang has done a wonderful job this year for Powell and I miss him as West's defensive coordinator.

Go Rebels!

There have been games where we've only had 1-2 penalties, but others where it seems there's a flag on every other play. We have a good running /passing attack and can spread the wealth to many different players. I'd say 4 to 6 receivers, one being the big 6'5" freshman. We use 2 tailbacks, but the qb can run the ball as well. Our D is good against the run, but we can struggle against good passing teams. Also, we seem to have trouble with teams that have big lineman. Anywho, that's just my take on things, others may have a different opinion. Rang really has done a great job this yr. I can see why you'd miss him at West.

Edited by powellphoto

Go Rebels!

I'm not sure what happened to West last November, but they certainly didn't look like the team that worked their way to the semis against Powell last year. Powell played a great game, and probably would have won anyway, but West just looked shell-shocked early on, and never recovered. I expect to see a much improved West team and a much improved effort this Friday night. At this point, I think this is still West's quad to lose. They are the most battle-tested, they do a great job of spreading the ball around, and they have a very solid defense.

Penalties have been a major problem the last 3 seasons for Powell. Yet somehow, they've found a way to cut a lot of that out in the playoffs each of the last 3 years. Last week against Central, they looked like a team on a mission - no unnecessary penalties, no turnovers, and a very focused group of players. I'm hoping they can duplicate that again on Friday night.

That being said, this year's team has had its share of growing pains, largely due to the fact that a LOT of talent graduated last May. They've had their share of good games and not so good games this year, but they've gotten a lot more consistent lately, especially after their close call against Campbell County, which I think was a clear case of being completely unfocused and unmotivated.

You will see a lot of the same things this year as you did last year from Powell. Hagen Owenby is an excellent dual-threat QB, much like Dustin McPhetridge last year. Montario Washington is their big back, replacing Dy'shawn Mobley as the feature back. Tyshawn Gardin is their all-purpose back, and will get his share of carries. Powell will throw the ball around to a number of receivers, including 6'5" freshman Durel Middleton.

The defense was the big question mark coming into the season, and they have responded very well. Sharron Moore and Devin Scott anchor the front seven, and they sport a very experienced secondary, led by Jon Strozyk. Powell's defense was the "unsung" unit for this team in 2010 and 2011, and if they have any chance of winning this game, they must have a tremendous performance.

Weaknesses? This is a younger team than last year, and obviously they don't have Dy'shawn Mobley to lean on. The offense is still potent, but they don't score as quickly as they did last year - their average TOP per drive is longer, which has helped their defense out tremendously. They rely on good blocking at the point of attack and excellent downfield blocking, just like last season. Oak Ridge did a great job of blowing up the point of attack, so I expect to see West try to do the same.

Defensively, Powell has plenty of speed on the outside, but if West is going to win this game, they will have to find a way to run the ball between the tackles. This Powell defense isn't going to get in the backfield as often as it did last year, and that is probably their biggest defensive weakness.

I thought last year's game was going to be a low-scoring heavyweight fight that would come down to a field goal - advantage West (George Bullock), although things didn't go as expected. I'm predicting a low-scoring, close game, and both teams will be plenty motivated.

I'm not sure what happened to West last November, but they certainly didn't look like the team that worked their way to the semis against Powell last year. Powell played a great game, and probably would have won anyway, but West just looked shell-shocked early on, and never recovered. I expect to see a much improved West team and a much improved effort this Friday night. At this point, I think this is still West's quad to lose. They are the most battle-tested, they do a great job of spreading the ball around, and they have a very solid defense.

Penalties have been a major problem the last 3 seasons for Powell. Yet somehow, they've found a way to cut a lot of that out in the playoffs each of the last 3 years. Last week against Central, they looked like a team on a mission - no unnecessary penalties, no turnovers, and a very focused group of players. I'm hoping they can duplicate that again on Friday night.

That being said, this year's team has had its share of growing pains, largely due to the fact that a LOT of talent graduated last May. They've had their share of good games and not so good games this year, but they've gotten a lot more consistent lately, especially after their close call against Campbell County, which I think was a clear case of being completely unfocused and unmotivated.

You will see a lot of the same things this year as you did last year from Powell. Hagen Owenby is an excellent dual-threat QB, much like Dustin McPhetridge last year. Montario Washington is their big back, replacing Dy'shawn Mobley as the feature back. Tyshawn Gardin is their all-purpose back, and will get his share of carries. Powell will throw the ball around to a number of receivers, including 6'5" freshman Durel Middleton.

The defense was the big question mark coming into the season, and they have responded very well. Sharron Moore and Devin Scott anchor the front seven, and they sport a very experienced secondary, led by Jon Strozyk. Powell's defense was the "unsung" unit for this team in 2010 and 2011, and if they have any chance of winning this game, they must have a tremendous performance.

Weaknesses? This is a younger team than last year, and obviously they don't have Dy'shawn Mobley to lean on. The offense is still potent, but they don't score as quickly as they did last year - their average TOP per drive is longer, which has helped their defense out tremendously. They rely on good blocking at the point of attack and excellent downfield blocking, just like last season. Oak Ridge did a great job of blowing up the point of attack, so I expect to see West try to do the same.

Defensively, Powell has plenty of speed on the outside, but if West is going to win this game, they will have to find a way to run the ball between the tackles. This Powell defense isn't going to get in the backfield as often as it did last year, and that is probably their biggest defensive weakness.

I thought last year's game was going to be a low-scoring heavyweight fight that would come down to a field goal - advantage West (George Bullock), although things didn't go as expected. I'm predicting a low-scoring, close game, and both teams will be plenty motivated.

For the most part, our posts seems to be a lot alike. Btw...I just realized Friday night that we worked together for a while a few yrs ago. Small world...

Edited by powellphoto