2013 DII Favorites

AllRegion

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is BGA going to be that much better than they were last year?

BGA is moving down from D2-AA to D2-A. As a point of comparison, Webb finished 0-5 in region games in its last year of D2-AA (I know they beat Ryan that year, but that was not a region game) and has won 3 of 4 gold balls since moving down. BGA is a well-coached team which should compete nicely in their new division. Friendship Christian (which has won the past 2 gold balls in D1-AA) will also be in D2-A next year. I really look forward to some competitive games in that division next year - should be very interesting.

RedRobin, what is your outlook for Ensworth next season?

Ensworth's prospects for 2013 actually look quite promising.

They will return most of the line on both sides of the ball. These units are truly the backbone of the team and, in my mind, the primary reason for their success.

The offense will of course lose the quarterback, tailback and some clutch receivers, but should be in good stead at all positions. Bowers is a master at determining what offense to run based upon the available talent, and he should have a choice next year with a junior dual-threat quarterback and a sophomore who is a classic drop-back passer. At tailback, he will have a big fast senior bruiser or a quick, fast, shifty junior (one of the two outstanding sophomore corners from this year's defense). If he runs a fullback, he will be able to pick from several that can do the job. They get back their starting tight end and will have what should be an excellent corps of wideouts (including a freshman coming from the middle school who will have a chance to make an impact).

In the defensive backfield, they lose their starting safeties, but bring back both corners. This will not be a weakness. They will need to reshuffle some of the linebackers, but appear to have abundant talent of sufficient size, speed and ability that they should not drop off at all at that position.

D2-AA seems to get tougher every year and I expect each of the teams in the division to improve again next year. Both D2-A and D2-AA should be very competitive and a lot of fun to watch next year!

Ricky has run the same basic offense since 1996; that's one of the reasons why he has been so successful - He does not change his offense.

I never saw him coach prior to Ensworth, but he has most definitely changed sets and base plays based on personnel since he has been at Ensworth. He ran an option out of the I during the years when he had Tavares at quarterback. After Tavares graduated, he ran most sets out of an I (fullback up and a tailback behind with a flanker), while often using the "smokestack-I" (pulling the flanker in to set 3 backs in a line behind the qb) in short yardage situations. No real designed qb carries out of these sets. The last two years, the basic set was two wideouts, with a flanker split and a tight end in the slot with only the tailback behind the qb, with designed plays for the qb to rush the ball. Blocking assignments change dramatically without a fullback.

Edited by RedRobin

I never saw him coach prior to Ensworth, but he has most definitely changed sets and base plays based on personnel since he has been at Ensworth. He ran an option out of the I during the years when he had Tavares at quarterback. After Tavares graduated, he ran most sets out of an I (fullback up and a tailback behind with a flanker), while often using the "smokestack-I" (pulling the flanker in to set 3 backs in a line behind the qb) in short yardage situations. No real designed qb carries out of these sets. The last two years, the basic set was two wideouts, with a flanker split and a tight end in the slot with only the tailback behind the qb, with designed plays for the qb to rush the ball. Blocking assignments change dramatically without a fullback.

With all due respect to Coach Bowers.........it's not "Ricky's" offense. The offense over the last 3 seasons has been overseen and called by Paul Wade. They have basically stayed running the I - formation along with some power I built around strong OL play and a good tailback......running the ball with play action passes mixed in. Obviously having Corn was a tremendous advantage, but Wade is a great playcaller with great blocking schemes.

Coach Bowers offense has centered around his personnel wherever he has been, but he handed over those duties off to Coach Wade. He has also done the same things on defense as well with Coach Rodriguez.

While people on the outside look at Coach Bowers as stubborn and pompous, the last 3 seasons (which are all state championship seasons) he has been less involved from a scheming perspective than in years past. I have followed his career over the past 2 decades and while Coach Bowers is a great motivator and in game decision making coach, his best asset the last 3 seasons has let his coordinators "do what they do" best.

With all due respect to Coach Bowers.........it's not "Ricky's" offense. The offense over the last 3 seasons has been overseen and called by Paul Wade. They have basically stayed running the I - formation along with some power I built around strong OL play and a good tailback......running the ball with play action passes mixed in. Obviously having Corn was a tremendous advantage, but Wade is a great playcaller with great blocking schemes.

Coach Bowers offense has centered around his personnel wherever he has been, but he handed over those duties off to Coach Wade. He has also done the same things on defense as well with Coach Rodriguez.

While people on the outside look at Coach Bowers as stubborn and pompous, the last 3 seasons (which are all state championship seasons) he has been less involved from a scheming perspective than in years past. I have followed his career over the past 2 decades and while Coach Bowers is a great motivator and in game decision making coach, his best asset the last 3 seasons has let his coordinators "do what they do" best.

You are of course correct - Paul Wade has been the offensive coordinator for 3 years, and I meant and mean no disrespect to him. Rightly or wrongly, I was using "Bowers" in the generic sense for his coaching staff, since he is still the boss of them. What kind of offense did Wade run at Davidson? His first year at Ensworth, they ran the exact set that Bowers had run the year before; their basic I included a traditional fullback lined up between the qb and the tb (Fentress) with a traditional tight end and wideout on the line and a flanker split out. Last year and this, the basic set moved the fullback up into more of an "H-back"; essentially a tight end in the slot, with a flanker spread and two wideouts on the line on scrimmage. Those are different offenses as far as I am concerned.

Ensworth's prospects for 2013 actually look quite promising.

They will return most of the line on both sides of the ball. These units are truly the backbone of the team and, in my mind, the primary reason for their success.

The offense will of course lose the quarterback, tailback and some clutch receivers, but should be in good stead at all positions. Bowers is a master at determining what offense to run based upon the available talent, and he should have a choice next year with a junior dual-threat quarterback and a sophomore who is a classic drop-back passer. At tailback, he will have a big fast senior bruiser or a quick, fast, shifty junior (one of the two outstanding sophomore corners from this year's defense). If he runs a fullback, he will be able to pick from several that can do the job. They get back their starting tight end and will have what should be an excellent corps of wideouts (including a freshman coming from the middle school who will have a chance to make an impact).

In the defensive backfield, they lose their starting safeties, but bring back both corners. This will not be a weakness. They will need to reshuffle some of the linebackers, but appear to have abundant talent of sufficient size, speed and ability that they should not drop off at all at that position.

D2-AA seems to get tougher every year and I expect each of the teams in the division to improve again next year. Both D2-A and D2-AA should be very competitive and a lot of fun to watch next year!

I appreciate the insight, Red Robin, thank you! It appears as if Ensworth is going to be the clear-cut favorite to win it all again next year. I heard on the State Championship broadcast that you all are still looking for 4 games...do you have any idea who you guys might pick up?