Peabody 2013?

bearcat22

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from a source a couple of days ago. North Side head coach Tab Vowell is interest in the Peabody job. Vowell in his 4 years as the Indians head coach, his record is 34-14, including two 10-0 regular season records (2010 and 2012). In the 4 seasons that Vowell was at helm, the Indians went to the playoffs 3 of the 4 years, and reach the quarterfinals (2010, lost to Memphis Ridgeway) and the semifinals (2012 lost to Beech). He put Adam Craig in as the starting QB as a Freshman, and kept him as a Starting QB since. In my opinion, Adam is the best quarteback in West Tennessee. Shane Jacobs (currently on the Peabody staff) was an assistant coach under Vowell at North Side. However, do not get to excited about the deal, there is a lot of benchmarks that will have to happened in order for Vowell to switch jobs. And also Vowell's wife is currently a principle at North Parkway Middle School.

This is just my opinion...but outside of a few schools who play in larger classifications, there just aren't many good jobs in larger classes in West Tennessee. I would think most coaches assume they can never win a state championship at most of the larger West TN schools because the talent isn't there to compete deep in the playoffs. The jobs that are considered "good jobs" in West TN larger classifications rarely come open.

There is only 6 schools that are in West Tennessee that are 5A/6A (North Side, Dyer County, Munford, Brighton, Hardin County, Henry County) that are outside of Memphis. The talent is there in the deep playoff run, but what happening isMaryville controls 6A, yes Whitehaven beat them in Cookville, but almost 95% of people consider Maryville going to Cookeville year in and year out. And I will also be honest, if it wasn't for Mark Dodson, Whitehaven would'nt won the state. In 5A, everybody knows Jalen Hurd and Beech will be a huge favorite to win state this fall and roll over teams.

And also Jackson-Madison Schools are going open enrollment, that means that kids get to fill out an application and pick what high school they would like to go to. That will hurt North Side, because they can only take a certain amount of students, meanwhile Liberty will get to take more students, and with Liberty being new and everything, a lot of students would like to go to Liberty and compete in the district with North Side and Covington.

I honestly think why Tab Vowell's name is on this is because of the word FAMILY. We all know Trenton is an one-city school that supports Peabody very well, with larger boosters etc. You should be at North Side for 1 week in July and 1 week in late September early October. WHY? well its because what Vowell is doing to the kids at North Side outside of coaching. Staying up there til about 7:00 or later and taking kids home. Therefore, I think if Vowell wants to be at Peabody, he should accept the job. Its better for his family and Peabody will win games.

Again....just my opinion, but of the schools you listed I think the only one that has a shot at winning a state championship is Henry County. Northside is going to be hurt by open enrollment...and most years would have to beat Henry County to advance. If not HC then likely a talented Memphis school. Those other schools like Hardin Co., Munford, etc. will never have a level of talent to make it to Cookeville. Again, just my opinion that those outside of Henry County will have a tough time competing year in and year out.

Now back to what matters....Vowell would be excellent for Peabody. I'm all for it. Any other names being thrown around?