David Martin Out at GP

Hoganknows

From what I've heard, Coach Mote was willing to keep most of current staff in place....One of the reasons he got the job.

Let's be real here. Mote hit the lottery and is lucky to have this gig. He has coached over 100 games and has a losing record and around a .450 winning percentage.

He really should have no say on anything and should feel priveledged to have an opportunity.

From what I've heard, Coach Mote was willing to keep most of current staff in place....One of the reasons he got the job.

Let's be real here. Mote hit the lottery and is lucky to have this gig. He has coached over 100 games and has a losing record and around a .450 winning percentage.

He really should have no say on anything and should feel priveledged to have an opportunity.

maybe he should let the parents and big boosters call the plays as well

maybe he should let the parents and big boosters call the plays as well

I think that is the plan. Especially when you fire a guy with 3 state titles. Amazing that this day in age with as much bad publicity about coaches and teachers everywhere, someone with the integrity of David Martin gets treated that way.

I think that is the plan. Especially when you fire a guy with 3 state titles. Amazing that this day in age with as much bad publicity about coaches and teachers everywhere, someone with the integrity of David Martin gets treated that way.

2minute drill, I;m responding to your post on the BB forum regarding FRA's coach blowing another state title opp as well as you previous comment on this blog.Perhaps the parents and big boosters can improve on the 5-6 record and perhaps put up more than the token defense Martin showed against CPA. Oh, my bad, this was not the coaches fault, it was all on the players. If this is the case then Martin should have gone down to Maplewood and got a few more studs since the only way he can win is totally out talent the other teams. It's kind of funny that Ingle Martin took a CPA program that Goodpasture had basically ruled and has OWNED Goodpasture with the same players the previous coach had. Do you and other true Goodpasture fans who are Martin loyalists stop to think that possibly this was the best thing for Martin in this stage of his career to move to another challenge and get the juices flowing again?

On the talent comment. You obviously have not seen Goodpasture in recent years when they went to the state title game and had no business being there. Or the 2008 team that went to the semi's and had one or two players. I don't blame Martin for not hiring a DC worth a hoot. That was a school issue that goes pretty deep in my opinion.

Guest Sackmaster50

I think any school should evaluate tenured coaches under the microscope a little bit more intently. I compare it to a pastor at a church. After so many years of service and a stagnant congregation without growth, the church should look at the possibility of getting a new pastor. Does that mean the pastor didn't do a great job and complete the task(s) at hand? Not necessarily, but it means the luster has worn off and maybe that can be restored with new blood in the church. Same goes for sports programs. I don't know what went on behind closed doors with Coach Martin, but he helped establish a great legacy at Goodpasture and it was time for a change. Now whether the Mote hire was the answer... that's a whole other story, but the principal of getting some new blood in the program has been addressed. If a support structure exist around the recent activity surrounding the football program then Goodpasture can resurface as a frontrunner. The proof is in the pudding though...

2minute drill, I;m responding to your post on the BB forum regarding FRA's coach blowing another state title opp as well as you previous comment on this blog.Perhaps the parents and big boosters can improve on the 5-6 record and perhaps put up more than the token defense Martin showed against CPA. Oh, my bad, this was not the coaches fault, it was all on the players. If this is the case then Martin should have gone down to Maplewood and got a few more studs since the only way he can win is totally out talent the other teams. It's kind of funny that Ingle Martin took a CPA program that Goodpasture had basically ruled and has OWNED Goodpasture with the same players the previous coach had. Do you and other true Goodpasture fans who are Martin loyalists stop to think that possibly this was the best thing for Martin in this stage of his career to move to another challenge and get the juices flowing again?

As a head coach:

David Martin 3 state titles, 5 runner up finishes

Ingle Martin 0 state titles

Seeing that you are comparing CPA and Goodpasture........I'm sure you are a devout Maddux follower as well.

I do not believe I ever blamed the players. However, if you look at the entirety of the season, the argument could be made that those starters who got into trouble off the field cost Goodpasture a chance at a fine season. In dealing with shaping young men, I don't think Coach Martin is going to apologize for trying to teach players about consequences to their actions. Also, when you insinuate that the boosters and parents could improve on their coaching situation, I'm sure they had a coach with a losing winning percentage in mind.

I'd rather not compare CPA and Goodpasture. One school has a win at all cost mentality both morally and ethically........one does not. That is for another argument.

No offense to Goodpasture but you guys are hosed. You're fortunate that you are in 2A. You'd get waxed in 3A going forward. The new blood needed to happen at the administration level and not the coaching level. But what's about to happen to your football program is going to be a dramatic drop off. I hate it for you but you guys made your own bed.

As a head coach:

David Martin 3 state titles, 5 runner up finishes

Ingle Martin 0 state titles

Seeing that you are comparing CPA and Goodpasture........I'm sure you are a devout Maddux follower as well.

I do not believe I ever blamed the players. However, if you look at the entirety of the season, the argument could be made that those starters who got into trouble off the field cost Goodpasture a chance at a fine season. In dealing with shaping young men, I don't think Coach Martin is going to apologize for trying to teach players about consequences to their actions. Also, when you insinuate that the boosters and parents could improve on their coaching situation, I'm sure they had a coach with a losing winning percentage in mind.

I'd rather not compare CPA and Goodpasture. One school has a win at all cost mentality both morally and ethically........one does not. That is for another argument.

OH, here we go.......David Martin has been a head coach how long? Ingle Martin, 2 years. Let's put CPA with Ingle Martin coaching in 2a and see how many state titles he wins. If I am not mistaken Ingle has won the same number of state titles as D Martin in 3a. As far as CPA's BB coach, lets see.....exactly where did he attend school????Do you really want to get into this subject? Look, don't get your panties in a wad, I will be the first to say that Coach Martin put Goodpasture football on the map. No disputing what he did there. The one big issue here is some of you posters since the start of this thread showing your true colors, you are not Goodpasture supporters, but Martin supporters first and foremost. No issue here, I;m sure the loyal Goodpasture fans won't mind you taking your support to Rutherford Cty next fall, especially considering the high esteem you have for the new coach. Also, according to one of the Goodpature fans I spoke with at the playoff game, he said the suspended players were all on the field and that the team was 100% for the game, his words, not mine. Also. John John said Martin could not hire his defense coaches? What's that all about? I guess the parents and big boosters were behind this also (the same ones who had Peden hired weeks before Martin left)? Lastly, I would be very careful about saying one school wins at all costs, you may be looking in the mirror. I challenge you to name any football player on CPA's team this year who was there at all costs.

On the talent comment. You obviously have not seen Goodpasture in recent years when they went to the state title game and had no business being there. Or the 2008 team that went to the semi's and had one or two players. I don't blame Martin for not hiring a DC worth a hoot. That was a school issue that goes pretty deep in my opinion.

No offense to Goodpasture but you guys are hosed. You're fortunate that you are in 2A. You'd get waxed in 3A going forward. The new blood needed to happen at the administration level and not the coaching level. But what's about to happen to your football program is going to be a dramatic drop off. I hate it for you but you guys made your own bed.

John John, have you been to the Goodpasture football website lately? No talent? Players getting ready for the pro combine? The FBS freshman of the year (2012, not 2002)?What are you talking about? I guess you will be the first to fall off the ole GP bandwagon and head over to Stewarts Creek.

OH, here we go.......David Martin has been a head coach how long? Ingle Martin, 2 years. Let's put CPA with Ingle Martin coaching in 2a and see how many state titles he wins. If I am not mistaken Ingle has won the same number of state titles as D Martin in 3a. As far as CPA's BB coach, lets see.....exactly where did he attend school????Do you really want to get into this subject? Look, don't get your panties in a wad, I will be the first to say that Coach Martin put Goodpasture football on the map. No disputing what he did there. The one big issue here is some of you posters since the start of this thread showing your true colors, you are not Goodpasture supporters, but Martin supporters first and foremost. No issue here, I;m sure the loyal Goodpasture fans won't mind you taking your support to Rutherford Cty next fall, especially considering the high esteem you have for the new coach. Also, according to one of the Goodpature fans I spoke with at the playoff game, he said the suspended players were all on the field and that the team was 100% for the game, his words, not mine. Also. John John said Martin could not hire his defense coaches? What's that all about? I guess the parents and big boosters were behind this also (the same ones who had Peden hired weeks before Martin left)? Lastly, I would be very careful about saying one school wins at all costs, you may be looking in the mirror. I challenge you to name any football player on CPA's team this year who was there at all costs.

Maybe I'm not understanding your case.

1.) You think Coach Martin should not have been retained because __________. He didn't "coach up" the talent. Winning 3 state titles does not qualify

2.) You think not retaining Coach Martin, and hiring a coach with a losing overall record was a good thing.

3.) You believe that Goodpasture should compare itself to CPA. I believe that No one can or should compare themselves to CPA. CPA has a basketball coach that is director of admissions. Who else has that? CPA had a transfer from Greenbrier that was magically eligible, and now his parents are back in Greenbrier. CPA takes a kid who is failing 5 classes at MBA, then holds him back, and is their next big superstar.

Your argument of "how many titles has Goodpasture won in 3A" is invalid. Goodpasture has 3 state titles in 2A. CPA has 2 titles in 1A.

Are you a Goodpasture fan? Disgruntled parent? You are obviously not a Coach Martin supporter which is fine. However, not retaining him be careful what you wish for.