I guess it's official.....O'Connor to Buckhorn.

LeroyBrown

Mecca? .....ahm.....I guess we have now decided to dramatically loosen the definition of the word "mecca".

I could understand (maybe) somebody referring to Maryville or Ensworth as a football "mecca", but Giles County? Probably not. Agree they have a good program over the last few years, but certainly not a "mecca."

A mecca would be a place that people are willing to travel great distances just to see a game, willing to throw away years of life in another place just to go to school there and be a part of the program or that people talk about over breakfast in other places just because they heard of it. That's definitely not Giles c - c - county....

Maryville or Ensworth would be considered a "Football Powerhouse". Not a mecca.

A place that is a center for a specified group, activity, or interest is a "mecca". So, Giles Football is a mecca here. And it's purely Giles c -c- county.... :thumb:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tend to lose perspective of the fact that coaching is a job. If RickyBobby decides to resign from the Sawmill, for a better job at the Milk Barn, then who can blame him. Yet, when a coach is offered something better, and decide it's in the best interest of his carrier to move on, he's a traitor. Fact is; OC and his staff are leaving Giles in better condition then when they arrived. Not many of us can claim such an accomplishment in our own professions. As long as I ca remember, Giles was the whipping post for area teams. They would've never scheduled us (L.C). OK, maybe Giles and Manchester shared the whipping post. But, the point is, Giles is one of the Top Teams in 4 a TN football, now.

2 years from now, we'll get a real look at the future of Giles County Football. That's when the kid's whom were part of the O'Connor era, will have graduated.

The pressure is now on Giles to find another coaching staff to continue on the path that was carved out by the past coaching staff's hard work and dedication. Remember, change, is the only true constant in life.

We tend to lose perspective of the fact that coaching is a job. If RickyBobby decides to resign from the Sawmill, for a better job at the Milk Barn, then who can blame him. Yet, when a coach is offered something better, and decide it's in the best interest of his carrier to move on, he's a traitor. Fact is; OC and his staff are leaving Giles in better condition then when they arrived. Not many of us can claim such an accomplishment in our own professions. As long as I ca remember, Giles was the whipping post for area teams. They would've never scheduled us (L.C). OK, maybe Giles and Manchester shared the whipping post. But, the point is, Giles is one of the Top Teams in 4 a TN football, now.

2 years from now, we'll get a real look at the future of Giles County Football. That's when the kid's whom were part of the O'Connor era, will have graduated.

The pressure is now on Giles to find another coaching staff to continue on the path that was carved out by the past coaching staff's hard work and dedication. Remember, change, is the only true constant in life.

Nice post! So, lets break it down a bit....

Agreed that RickyBobby should explore career advancement opportunities. If you have a staff nobody wants then you're collecting "L's" more than "W's". If RickyBobby wants to pull titties at another barn then he needs to grab his 5 buckle rubber boots and move on. Now as ole Ricky Bobby heads over to the other pasture, the reflection of his labors becomes apparent. Did he improve the production of the herd? Yep. Did he cull the right cows? Most of the time. Did he make sure Mastitis wasn't a problem? NOPE.

So, now we just have to "clean" up the lack of attention directed towards integrity of producing the product and all is well. The "2 year" rules applies to recruits and we all know he wasn't very good at that! There is no "pressure" to find another Herd Master. Applicants are readily available.

The true measure of one's success comes as he's riding off. If he achieves respect and honor he'll leave quietly at sunset. If not it will be by the dark of a unlit moon shouting his accomplishments to mask his short comings. I heard him but I couldn't see him because it was dark. :ph34r:

I am all for rickybobby taking another job at the dairy just dont take my saw operator jimbo, my forklift operator, toot, skidder operator, scooter and stumpjumper billyjack. But this does leave the door wide open for a variety of things. You can ride coat tails for so long, then they gone.

Edited by dadtimesfive