Tri-County Seven- Week #10

coachh17

I am back off the road long enough to post! Unicoi County, by virtue of beating Elizabethton, has earned the #1 spot. How long can they hold it? This is a tightly grouped bunch of teams.

1. Unicoi County- (AA) (14-7)- Beat Elizabethton, nipped Happy Valley in overtime, and beat #7 Johnson County by 2 last night to take and hold this spot. The closeness of all these games shows how much parity we have in the Seven this year. At Unaka tonight and a big game at Hampton on Saturday.

2. Elizabethton- (AA) (16-4)- Still adjusting to the loss of their two starting guards for the season. The freshmen Marosite twins lit Sullivan East up in the game after the Unicoi loss. The senior frontline of Roberts, Madgett, and DeMoss is solid. Bradley is running the point well. It will not surprise me if they regain the top spot in the coming weeks, but they must beat Hampton tonight at Hampton to have a chance.

3. Cloudland- (AA) (13-9)- The Lady Landers are red hot and on an 8 game winning streak. D1 signee Brooke Rhodes is healthy and dominating games now. The guard play is improved. They are at Unaka tonight and host North Greene Friday in a huge District game.

4. Hampton- (A) (19-5)- May well be the best team, though currently sitting in the #4 spot. Is Montgomery hurt? Beat Unaka, Providence, and University High in last three games. Host Elizabethton tonight, Unaka Friday, and Unicoi County Saturday. Three wins and the Lady Dogs may be back on top.

5. Happy Valley- (AA) (10-10)- The Lady Warriors beat Johnson County and lost a heartbreaker in overtime to #1 Unicoi County. They can get some satisfaction with a win at Elizabethton on Friday.

6. Unaka- (A) (10-12)- Lost to North Greene and Hampton. Host Unicoi County Tuesday and visit Hampton Friday for two tough ones. Can the Lady Rangers get a big upset win? They need one badly heading in to the tournaments for a confidence boost.

7. Johnson County- (AA) (4-17)- Lost to Happy Valley, beat Tri-Cities Christian, and lost by 2 to #1 Unicoi County. They are oh so close to getting a big win. It may come Friday when they host East. They will be a dangerous draw in the tournament.

I know it was a tough week to rank these teams and I think you have it as accurate as you could get it based on recent games. There is a lot of parity and any of the top four could finish on top. HV, Unaka and Johnson County can't be overlooked by any team. Should be a fun couple of weeks!

I watched the Lady Dogs and Lady Cyclones game, and I must say it was the best game I have seen all season. Both teams left if all on the court. Kudo's to both. I also want to send out my thoughts & prayers to Coach Tolley and his family. I can't imagine how it would feel to be informed of something like that right before a game and have the wherewithal to carry on. I know his team greatly appreciates him being there for them while his heart and mind was elsewhere. I was Proud of the Lady Dogs effort. Elizabethton looks like a college team compared to them and yet it came down to the final possession.

It appears that elizabethton has a very deep well. After losing their 2 best offensive players, they are still able to find girls off the bench who can play. That's a testament to their program

Those Marosites twins don't play like freshmen and they are going to be fun to watch the next three years.