Adding classifications in Basketball

bluegoldbbfan

There are 8 regions in A classification.

Regions 1-2 = 23 teams

Regions 3-4 = 24 teams

Regions 5-6 = 24 teams

Regions 7-8 = 39 teams

How can TSSAA possibly think its fair for only two teams to make it out of a section with 39 teams when all the other sections only have 24. There's nothing fair about that. Why are there more classifications in football when there are more schools with basketball programs. Just wondering what others think about this?

Wow...somebody that thinks like me !

Does seem crazy that bball teams have to compete vs schools with twice the enrollment, if football teams had to do that these boards would go crazy. Maybe its because it takes more to players to play football.

good topic helps divert me for awhile from upcoming tournaments.

Wow...somebody that thinks like me !

Does seem crazy that bball teams have to compete vs schools with twice the enrollment, if football teams had to do that these boards would go crazy. Maybe its because it takes more to players to play football.

good topic helps divert me for awhile from upcoming tournaments.

I agree. No mater the size of the school, only 5 kids can be on the floor at any one time. The bigger schools may have deeper benches, most use only seven to nine kids in their rotation.

Regions 1-2 = 23 teams

Regions 3-4 = 24 teams

Regions 5-6 = 24 teams

Regions 7-8 = 39 teams

How can TSSAA possibly think its fair for only two teams to make it out of a section with 39 teams when all the other sections only have 24. There's nothing fair about that. Why are there more classifications in football when there are more schools with basketball programs. Just wondering what others think about this?

What makes anyone think TSSAA is concerned about it being fair?

Regions 1-2 = 23 teams

Regions 3-4 = 24 teams

Regions 5-6 = 24 teams

Regions 7-8 = 39 teams

For the upcoming four years, the sectional areas have 28, 25, 26, and 40. What really throws it out of whack is 15 teams in the Memphis district, a lot of them charters that have opened in the last few years. Only four teams can make it out of that district to the region tournament. It doesn't directly affect the other teams in that sectional area (districts 13-16). Your only solution to that district would spread some of the Memphis teams back over to District 15, etc. I am sure they like having all of their games across town.

I agree. No mater the size of the school, only 5 kids can be on the floor at any one time. The bigger schools may have deeper benches, most use only seven to nine kids in their rotation.

I would favor a four-class system, in football, basketball, baseball and softball. Divide each sport separately, trying to keep the districts the same across sports resulted in problems with a lot of small schools not fielding teams. It is difficult for the smallest teams to face schools with 500 students, and also difficult for the smallest schools in Class AAA to be in there against teams like Science Hill and Riverdale. Having a big school doesn't always mean a good team, though, not trying to pick on Lavergne but their girls basketball results lately haven't been the best.

Maybe some of the districts should be redrawn?In 15A Riverside and Scotts Hill are seperated by nine miles...closest district rival is Adamsville at 25+,furthest is Middleton at 75+...Frank Hughes,Perry Co,Clarksburg,Huntingdon,Wayne Co,Bruceton,even West Carroll and Collinwood would be closer than their furthest district games...then you start talking region 16A at 120+ to Memphis.Seems to me that a little thought should be given to evening up things a bit,with only two teams per classification making it to Murfreesboro from the western third of the whole state.