TAKING PROP. PLAYERS

bballlfan

HERE IS MY QUESTON, WHY DOES MIDDLE TENNESSEE TAKE SO MANY PROP. PLAYERS?? OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL??? I COULD HAVE THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT PROP. PLAYERS,BUT LET ME SEE. IF YOU ARE A PROP. THAT MEANS THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE THE GPA OR ENOUGH CORE CREDITS TO GET INTO COLLEGE , IS THIS CORRECT?? IF SO WHY DOES THE COLLEGES THINK A KID CAN MAKE THE GRADES NOW WHEN THEY COULD NOT WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL? BUT I QUESS MAYBE 20% MIGHT MAKE IT PAST THE FIRST YEAR. ALSO WHY DO THEY CALL THE PROCESS COMMITING TO THE SCHOOL WHEN THE PLAYER HAS TO PAY HIS OWN WAY AND CANNOT PLAY THAT YEAR. TO ME THE WORD COMMIT SHOULD BE USED ONLY FOR THE PLAYER THAT GETS THE FULL RIDE. MIDDLE HAS 2 OR 3 PROP PLAYERS NOW, HOW MANY DO MOST SCHOOLS TAKE? :confused: :confused:

A "Prop" player is a gamble, but also a chance to really turn a program around. Major Conferences can NOT take Props, and therefore, a player who does not have the grades has the option of either going JUCO, prep school, or going to a D-1 conference that takes Props....

Example: Kenyonna Swader is a High Major player who could play in the SEC, but couldn't get into an SEC school via Prop 48. So now Middle has themselves a MAJOR talent. Same with Montrelle Crittendon, who was recieving some higher interest, and may have recieved more as the season went on, but it was known he would not be a qualifier. Now MTSU has two very talented players that will be eligible in a year...

A great example of the benefits of this is at Marquette. 6'5 G DeWayne Wade came into Marquette two years ago as a Prop, becuase, though he was recruited by major schools, he couldn't get in. So he went to Marquette, sat out a year to focus on academics, and then last year, as a soph, in his first year of College Ball, was absolutely unbelievable. This year Wade is 1st Team All American....

"kpteam"

I am sitting here trying to determine what your motivation is for your posts on this subject and singling out the players that have decided to go to Middle Tennessee.

I assure you they will get better academic support and will be expected to be students at Middle Tennessee than if they went to some juco in east dustbowl, oklahoma.

Middle Tennessee is a good university and since it is a member of the Sun Belt which does not put a limit on props, unlike some other D1 conferences, it offers a good opportunity for a kid to go to a university setting from the very first and get his academics in order before playing. IMHO, it is a lot better environment for a kid to prop at a major university than a junior college setting where the kid is playing from the outset and not doing much more than he did in HS, if that, for his academic responsibilities.

Its too bad that you have a problem with young men trying to go a route that offers them a chance to get their academics in order and therefore a better opportunity to graduate from college than to get into a juco feeder for some university two years down the line with no better academic preparation than when they left HS.

I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MTSU HAVE BEEN THERE MANY TIMES.YOU JUST SEE ON THIS SITE WHERE THEY ARE TAKING PROP, I WAS ASKING WHY . I DO HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH KIDS NOT MAKING THE GRADES IN HIGH SCHOOL AND LET GO ON JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN PLAY A SPORT. SOMETIME THIS WILL CATCH UP WITH THEM.SOME KIDS COME OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL WITH ONLY 3 TO 5 CORE CREDITS WHOSE FAULT IS THIS??SOMEONE HAS TO START CARING EARLY TO MAKE THESE KIDS GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK. IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN THAT ONLY 20% THAT PROP MAKE TWO YEARS BUT AT LEAST THAT 20% WILL DO GOOD AND THE OTHER 80% CAN GO WORK FOR MIN. WAGE.

Well I have given you an explanation why they are going to Middle Tennessee. They will have a better chance to succeed at Middle Tennessee than at some juco where too many will end up and will not be in any better shape as far as academic preparation two years from now than after high school.

I think everyone realizes that cultural and socio-economic problems exist where some of these kids come from and that the HS teachers, coaches, and parents do not do the job they should demanding kids hit the books, but given the social climate today where test scores are automatically dismissed by some as biased, you should not expect a great deal of improvement until community leaders, as well as parents, demand academic excellence instead of providing excuses why Johnny can't do algebra.

BTW, has anyone informed you that putting your message in all Caps is akin to shouting and is very grating to read on these boards?

From my understanding, the NCAA's prop 48 rules have increased student-athlete graduation rates since they were created. At least, that's what I read on their website.

It also seems to me that when getting into 1-A as a partial-qualifier, there's a greater motivation (and more opportunity) for an athlete to work hard and be successful. After sitting out the first academic year, one can earn a fourth year of eligibilty, provided that he receives his bachelor's degree by the start of that fifth year.

[Edited by iamoz on 10-30-02 12:47A]

When will the student be put back in with the athlete?? You can look back at the problems some of the SEC schools are having with their recruits,the players are being signed but they don't make the grades to enter in the fall. The ones that are in school are having a tough time making the 2.0 gpa cutoff to remain current. Society can always make excuses and give reasons(cultural and socio-economic problems) why players can't make the grades. They use this to make it easier for the players to succeed with out doing the work. A college athlete should have the same standards to enter school as anyone else does that wonts to enter that univ. A good ex. of what I am talking about is, there was a player in the 8th grade that was a great player. He would not do the books and was always in trouble with something. All anyone would say was basketball was all he had,his only ticket out.So thay kept moving him along with that excuse. He ended up by the 11th grade out of school selling drugs. If they would have been harder on him at the first and made him behave and do the books,then let him play ball, just maybe the outcome would have been different.

We are making to many excuses for these players just because they can play the game. They might win on the court but in the long run they will lose in the game of life!

There is BIG money being made on most of these players, so if they make into college, let the colleges be held accountable for the grad. rate. Graduate the players or lose scholarships. This would cause the colleges to recruit players with higher GPA's so not to lose scholarships and this would cause a trickel down effect to the high school ranks. The players would know they would have to do the books to go on to the next level.

THIS WOULD PUT STUDENT BACK IN THE ATHLETE

So what do you want to do??? You want to take away the BEST opportunity a kid has to make it, because he is not a great student??? You want to punish a kid because he is not a "book smart" kid, or has not had the education, resources, or even teaching??? What about kids that are "Special Ed" in school??? Since they cannot qualify becuase the core classes that they are taking and passing are Special Ed, should they not be given an opportunity at a college education, and a chance at bettering their lives???

Basketball is a chance for a lot of underpriveledged youths to go to College, and a chance at earning a degree and bettering their lives. Many of these kids would not have any chance of going to college without a scholarship, one that basketball could provide. I agree that something needs to be improved in our educational system, but not at the expense of cutting off kids opportunities. I had a kid who was a 3.2 or so GPA in his high school, and still couldn't attain the high-enough ACT score to qualify for D-1 eligibility. So who's fault is that??? This kid is getting A's and B's, and still couldn't qualify.......

This is a tricky topic, but Prop 48 is a great thing set up to help kids that aren't qualifiers still get into school and have a chance at making something of themselves.....