Elizabethton vs South Greene/Happy Valley vs Grainger

grassroots176

I didn't say anything about the Grainger facility or it's adequacy to host a Regional. Your assertion the Grainger gym "is far nicer in every aspect" is a stretch. I get the criticism of the dressing rooms and bathrooms. While the court side seating may be newer at Grainger, it is hardly better based on pictures from the school opening press release. It appears to be the typical bench style seating used in most new gyms which are not very comfortable. As for the D2 venue, you need to deal with your D2 administrators about that selection. D1 has nothing to do with that choice as far as I know. CD has hosted for D2 as I believe has Greeneville. I understand the point of the fairness of a team playing on their home court, but that is the way it has been. It's not any more unfair for D1 teams to play on D2's home court in even years than vice versa. A neutral site every year would be more fair to everyone, but I'm not sure how practical that is. There are facilities that fit the bill, but availability is likely an issue.

As for the comment, it was definitely made by a Grainger fan (not supposedly). It was clearly out of line. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your new facility, but that doesn't make it okay to criticize other's facilities. Regardless, good luck against CAK.

Sorry I upset you there Sparky. You did not hear the comments yourself, so that is hearsay. That is why I said supposedly.

You were the one praising your facility. Just thought I would point out its inadequacies. I stand by those.

Chair backs are a nice touch, but no big deal. Sight lines from up top are not very good. Bench seating for the teams looks to be lousy also. Facts are facts and the truth hurts.

I gave your team credit. They outplayed Grainger. That truth hurts as well.

Have a Great Day. I will.

Edited by boxn1

Sorry I upset you there Sparky. You did not hear the comments yourself, so that is hearsay. That is why I said supposedly.

You were the one praising your facility. Just thought I would point out its inadequacies. I stand by those.

Chair backs are a nice touch, but no big deal. Sight lines from up top are not very good. Bench seating for the teams looks to be lousy also. Facts are facts and the truth hurts.

I gave your team credit. They outplayed Grainger. That truth hurts as well.

Have a Great Day. I will.

I'm not upset. On the contrary, I'm happy - we won. I just think the facilities argument is moot. I plan to have a wonderful day.

I'm not upset. On the contrary, I'm happy - we won. I just think the facilities argument is moot. I plan to have a wonderful day.

The facilities argument is moot because you don't have an argument. That's the way you guys operate. Only show up when you've got a good case to make, and when you don't....well then everyone else is just being silly and childish to even claim such a thing. Your players are credit to your school, unlike your coach and lot of your fans. Seems that you and most of your people that post on here seem to be a direct reflection of your coach! And I stand by my statement that he is a classless jerk. I think you could quickly gather a big crowd of people from the East TN area that would join that opinion. Follow your leader, I suppose. And as for me, I really don't care what kind of day that you have.

If the game followed what happens each home game for Betsy. It was like this Eliz. was shooting free throws before they ever had 3 team fouls. Then after a good lead fouls are usually evened up a little. Top 2 players from opposing teams generally gets in foul trouble by early 2nd quarter

You see most TSSAA refs are from Carter County.

As you can see I have just registered to this site and have never posted though I have for several years enjoyed reading the posts. I have been a parent of ball players for many years and have been blessed with the opporutnity to experience doing so on several different levels and in different conferences. There is one thing I can tell you for certain - no matter where you go sports fans are always the same: they love their team and seldom see wrong in what they do (they never foul, are always the one done wrong, etc.). The mixture in the fanbase almost always includes those who are die hard supporters that are in reality somewhat embarassing to the very ones they are supporting. There are also those who actually have the ability to see good in the other team and can admit when a call made by a referee was wrong although you usually will hear the "but we'll take it" comment added in relief. There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting our teams. There is even nothing wrong with disliking other team's fans and/or coaches and there are many times these feelings are warranted to an extent. It would be nice if everyone could see that they too are only supporting their team with the same spirit as the other. Regarding coaches I will say this about the time-out called by Coach Dugger at the end of the game mentioned above: when the timeout was called an Elizabethton player was trapped and in trouble and was possibly about to lose the ball. The refs could also have called a foul on Grainger - yes it was right in front of me and it would not have been out of reach. Was it a smart timeout - Cyclone fans (including me) would say yes - Grainger fans would say no. Again it depends on which team you were rooting for.

What I find disheartening is when adults allow their feelings towards other adults to spill over into how they treat and react to other ball teams. The kids on the other team are just that, kids who have worked extremely hard, spent hours in the gym, worried about their shot, tried to remember all of their plays, adjusted to injuries and stepped into a position on the court where they have never before played. They have worked just as hard as the other team (sometimes harder) but for the most part they've all put everything they have into the game. From the time we first became parents to a player we've tried to tell them to put 100% into whatever they were doing - if you're gonna do it do it to the best of your ability. But we've also told them to never take any team or individual player and their abilities for granted and to always, always appreciate other players' abilities no matter who they are. But the most important thing we have tried to instill in our kids is to respect other teams and individual players. Last night when Grainger's team was given their trophy, Elizabethton fans not only applauded the team but also stood and showed them the respect they deserved. They are a really good ball team and their achievements are awesome! However, when Elizabethton was given their trophy Grainger parents not only did not applaud, they yelled things to our team the entire time they were taking pictures (mainly about the referees and that they should be in our team picture - again it depends on which side of the final score you are on - we could argue they didn't make calls our way as well - they are from Region 3 which is closer to you than us - we've never been happy with their game calline either). Likewise, when individual tournament awards were given, Grainger parents clapped for all recipients except for Elizabethton players. Parents - not the kids chose to not respect a team of kids who worked extremely hard and overcame losing 3 starters just to be able to play that game. I have to say in all the years I have attended ball games I believe that was the saddest example of sportsmanship I have seen.

Elizabethton may not have a facility that is up to the standards of Grainger's (and yes, the statement about our facilities was made by a Grainger fan) but it is what we have and we appreciate our seat backs. We did not request to host the tournament - it was just our turn and in fact I do not even remember when we last held one. My experience since I have had kids playing is that we have always traveled other than game 1 of a regional tournament or the sub-state game. Would Grainger fans feel any differently about the game had we played on a neutral court or even at their facility? Regardless, I can only hope that our players learn something valuable from how the Grainger parents treated them after the game and that is not to do what they did, but to have respect for the other team, appreciate their abilities and the effort they put forth during the game and to always show that respect and appreciation.

Best of luck to the Grainger team on your sub-state game with CAK.

Go Cyclones! We are very proud of you!

I really enjoy reading these message boards and finally decided to post something once I saw several of the comments in this thread. First of all , I grew up in Unicoi County , so I have no allegiance to either Elizabethton or Grainger. I was at the game on Monday night (Happy Valley vs. Grainger) as well as the game last night. In both instances , the behavior of the fans from Grainger was truly disgusting. On Monday night , they started complaining pretty much as soon as they came in about facilities. Well , all I can say about that is the court is the same size at every gym regardless of the age , seating , etc. So get over it. I actually had to ask one of their fans behind me to please dropping the F-bomb constantly since my 6 year old son was with me. During half time , I had to take my son to the bathroom , once we returned , my son's jacket had been thrown in the floor in the aisle and those fans had taken our seats. I bit my tongue and moved on. Now , on to last night. The game was very entertaining and both teams played extremely hard. But during the ceremonies , I just couldn't believe that the Grainger fans were yelling out at the Elizabethton players , fans , coaches. I know losing (especially when they were previously undefeated) is tough. But , it happens. That is the beauty of sports. It isn't always someone else's fault and not every team that loses gets a raw deal. In my opinion , the game last night was very physical on both sides and Elizabethton just shot the ball better overall. But the night was marred by the behavior of Grainger fans. And believe me , I know what bad behavior for fans looks like (remember , I grew up in Unicoi County) :) Just my .02

As you can see I have just registered to this site and have never posted though I have for several years enjoyed reading the posts. I have been a parent of ball players for many years and have been blessed with the opporutnity to experience doing so on several different levels and in different conferences. There is one thing I can tell you for certain - no matter where you go sports fans are always the same: they love their team and seldom see wrong in what they do (they never foul, are always the one done wrong, etc.). The mixture in the fanbase almost always includes those who are die hard supporters that are in reality somewhat embarassing to the very ones they are supporting. There are also those who actually have the ability to see good in the other team and can admit when a call made by a referee was wrong although you usually will hear the "but we'll take it" comment added in relief. There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting our teams. There is even nothing wrong with disliking other team's fans and/or coaches and there are many times these feelings are warranted to an extent. It would be nice if everyone could see that they too are only supporting their team with the same spirit as the other. Regarding coaches I will say this about the time-out called by Coach Dugger at the end of the game mentioned above: when the timeout was called an Elizabethton player was trapped and in trouble and was possibly about to lose the ball. The refs could also have called a foul on Grainger - yes it was right in front of me and it would not have been out of reach. Was it a smart timeout - Cyclone fans (including me) would say yes - Grainger fans would say no. Again it depends on which team you were rooting for.

What I find disheartening is when adults allow their feelings towards other adults to spill over into how they treat and react to other ball teams. The kids on the other team are just that, kids who have worked extremely hard, spent hours in the gym, worried about their shot, tried to remember all of their plays, adjusted to injuries and stepped into a position on the court where they have never before played. They have worked just as hard as the other team (sometimes harder) but for the most part they've all put everything they have into the game. From the time we first became parents to a player we've tried to tell them to put 100% into whatever they were doing - if you're gonna do it do it to the best of your ability. But we've also told them to never take any team or individual player and their abilities for granted and to always, always appreciate other players' abilities no matter who they are. But the most important thing we have tried to instill in our kids is to respect other teams and individual players. Last night when Grainger's team was given their trophy, Elizabethton fans not only applauded the team but also stood and showed them the respect they deserved. They are a really good ball team and their achievements are awesome! However, when Elizabethton was given their trophy Grainger parents not only did not applaud, they yelled things to our team the entire time they were taking pictures (mainly about the referees and that they should be in our team picture - again it depends on which side of the final score you are on - we could argue they didn't make calls our way as well - they are from Region 3 which is closer to you than us - we've never been happy with their game calline either). Likewise, when individual tournament awards were given, Grainger parents clapped for all recipients except for Elizabethton players. Parents - not the kids chose to not respect a team of kids who worked extremely hard and overcame losing 3 starters just to be able to play that game. I have to say in all the years I have attended ball games I believe that was the saddest example of sportsmanship I have seen.

Elizabethton may not have a facility that is up to the standards of Grainger's (and yes, the statement about our facilities was made by a Grainger fan) but it is what we have and we appreciate our seat backs. We did not request to host the tournament - it was just our turn and in fact I do not even remember when we last held one. My experience since I have had kids playing is that we have always traveled other than game 1 of a regional tournament or the sub-state game. Would Grainger fans feel any differently about the game had we played on a neutral court or even at their facility? Regardless, I can only hope that our players learn something valuable from how the Grainger parents treated them after the game and that is not to do what they did, but to have respect for the other team, appreciate their abilities and the effort they put forth during the game and to always show that respect and appreciation.

Best of luck to the Grainger team on your sub-state game with CAK.

Go Cyclones! We are very proud of you!

The Tournament was originally scheduled to be played at Happy Valley. Somehow it ended up at Elizabethton. Not sure how that happened. Im sure I will be enlightened on it though. Th e Regional should be played at a Neutral Site. Elizabethton has not had to board a bus one time since the District Tournament started. That is not their fault. Anyone would take that deal if they could get it. Make no mistake though, getting to play at home is a huge advantage.

That is how it is set up at this time. Hopefully we get our chance to be host next year. I'm sure you will enjoy our facility and the ride.

As far as how Grainger fans reacted, I can not comment. I left with :30 seconds to go. It is a long ride and I need my beauty sleep!

Congrats again to the Lady Cyclones. They played well and deserved the win. Hope to see you again next year!

Edited by boxn1

As I stated before I'm new at posting and have no idea how to include your post boxn1. I do not know anything about the tournament orginally being at HV or why it would have been changed to Elizabethton. We were told the first of the year that we would be hosting, I cannot "enlighten" you any further. If you are insinuating that we somehow have the ability to manipulate district and regional tournament locations I assure you there were previous years when we would have chosen to host as well based on the expectations of teams we have had. I will tell you that it is a lot of hard work if you're involved with hospitality rooms, concessions or organization of any kind - I'm glad we don't host very often in that respect. I would not, nor do I believe anyone else involved with the team, have a problem with playing on a neutral site as this is just one year of hosting. My understanding is that next year it goes to Sullivan East and then Unicoi the next - it's not like we look forward to ever playing at an opponent's school especially during tournament time. If Elizabethton had lost the District Championship they would have "boarded a bus" for game 1 of the Regions. Likewise had they lost the Region Championship they would be boarding another Saturday. Does hosting the tournament give the host team an advantage? Absolutely if they're a good enough team to play with the other opponents - if anyone says otherwise they're insane. No one knows for sure if the outcome would have been different had we played at Grainger or a neutral site last night. But if they had played the game at your facility or elsewhere and the teams' performances were the same as they were last night, the outcome would have been the same. Elizabethton's girl's came out with a purpose and goal and they never looked back.

As for our coming to Grainger to play - I think it would be great for our team to have the opportunity to play in your fine facility against a great team. That's how a team improves and gets experience that benefits them if they make it to the State Tournament. And the ride isn't too bad either - we live in one of the most beautiful areas of the US so the scenery is amazing.