Coach Barnwell resigns at Science Hill

AlumnI01

Lets be real. Yes talent is leaving, but coaching is always coaching. SH was successful before this group of seniors left. THey will be successful for the next 3 or 4 years. You do not have to like Barnwell but if I am right SH has been in the region semi finals 4 out the last 6 years. So that is not this one group of players. As for Lyon and Tarter, they will not be the whole team. Gregory is there and the tall blonde from JV and their super quick kid, Webster might be her last name.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can stick up for him all you want but facts are facts. If he has a true love for the game, why quit when you have been so close two times? If he his the coach that you are making him out to be he would still be coaching SHHS. Like i said before it looks like he just gave up!

Are you a Barnwell hater you ever stopped doing something because things come in life that you couldn't give it 100% anymore When it does you'll understand And u must have NEVER coached or you would know there's more than just saying playball and then sitting down and watching

You can stick up for him all you want but facts are facts. If he has a true love for the game, why quit when you have been so close two times? If he his the coach that you are making him out to be he would still be coaching SHHS. Like i said before it looks like he just gave up!

very obvious why uou joined the T

No i have never coached not at a high school level (I'm still in college) and i bet you haven't either. I did play baseball, basketball, and football, all thru high school and had chances to play at other levels and decided not to. My reason to quit the sports I loved was because of injuries. Bad knees, broke my back, 3 concussions. i just couldn't do it anymore. so yes I know how it feels.

yes that is why I joined. I was curious to why he would quit? like you said he has talent coming up so why quit?! It makes no sense to me. If he had a job offer or something, i would understand but just quit over nothing? that I DO NOT understand!

I do not hate the man I've never met him or talked to him. I just don't like the way he coaches, if that's what you can call it.

@wingman10 If you can give me any reason to why he quit besides he got tired (cause I ain't buying that) I will be happy to say i was wrong but until then I'm seeing him as a quitter!

The Big 8 Conference has lost the best coach in the conference. He has worked hard to get his teams to the level of winning championships. Summer leagues for young girls to develop into a top notch program is a key to building any program. He has paid his dues with his time. He did have some health issue late in the season and a loss of a family member during the peak of the tournament. Things like that can be an eye opener to life and there is life after basketball. Coach Barnwell has been a huge asset to Science Hill Basketball and his shoes will be hard to fill.

Edited by littlepeople

• 2 weeks later...

No i have never coached not at a high school level (I'm still in college) and i bet you haven't either. I did play baseball, basketball, and football, all thru high school and had chances to play at other levels and decided not to. My reason to quit the sports I loved was because of injuries. Bad knees, broke my back, 3 concussions. i just couldn't do it anymore. so yes I know how it feels.

yes that is why I joined. I was curious to why he would quit? like you said he has talent coming up so why quit?! It makes no sense to me. If he had a job offer or something, i would understand but just quit over nothing? that I DO NOT understand!

I do not hate the man I've never met him or talked to him. I just don't like the way he coaches, if that's what you can call it.

@wingman10 If you can give me any reason to why he quit besides he got tired (cause I ain't buying that) I will be happy to say i was wrong but until then I'm seeing him as a quitter!

Again, it is obvious why you joined the T

I am amazed at how many times on this board, and others, that I read comments such as "why would he quit, they are going to be good next year", or "I see why he quit, they are not going to be any good next year". Such comments are made out of pure ingnorance. No one stay because of how many games they are expected to win the next year, or leave because of how many losses are expected. Coaches for the most part stay out of loyalty to their players, or leave out of love for their families. Coaching high school sports is tough. Mostly because IT IS HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS!!!!!!!! It is not college, where you are well paid, can recruit your players, and where success can lead to a much higher paying job. In high school sports, you don't have a choice as to the players you get, you are underpaid, work long hours, and underappreciated. Unless you have done it, it is hard to understand the toll that it takes on your mind, your body, and your family. A better question to ask other than why someone quit would be "Why in the world would anyone do it for more than a few years?"