D-II Wrestling---TSSAA Board Of Control June 11-12 Minutes

BuckLateral

Of interest to D-II wrestling coaches, fans, wrestlers, the TSSAA Board of Control took the following actions at its June 11-12 meeting:

22. D-II AA Bracket.

Approved the proposed post-season tournament bracket for DII-AA.

The DII Committee met on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at the TSSAA office. Committee members accepted a proposed post-season tournament bracket presented by the DII Athletic Directors.

23. D-II Individual Wrestling Format.

Approved the recommendation of the DII coaches to go to an eight-person bracket in wrestling which includes a pigtail match.

Without seeing it, I am assuming that the individual 8 man bracket, which includes a pigtail, will be similar to the brackets you see frequently in weekend tournaments where a weight class might have more than 8 but less than 16 wrestlers. The top four seeds get a bye, and then 8 kids wrestle the "pigtail" match to give you the other four wrestlers in the 8 man bracket. So its basically a max of 12 wrestlers in each weight class. No word on how those 12 will be determined---I think there are more than 12 teams in D-II, so some weight classes could have more than 12 wrestlers. That should be interesting. Will there be state qualifying tournaments for D-II on the weekend they used to have off before state? If any of the D-II Committee read this post, can you shed any light on this---or are those details still to be worked out?

From what I have been told by some of the D2 coaches this issue is far from over. No one is happy with how the proposed regions have/have not been established and how many kids would qualify from each region. I was told that the idea of a separate D2 State Wrestling Tournament where each wrestler qualified was proposed and that idea was rejected by the TSSAA. The TSSAA made money when the duals were held at Father Ryan and that is what some of the D2 coaches want to do with the individual tournament if every the wrestler automatically qualifies for the state tournament. The problem as I see it is that the individual state tournament only had a net income of around $1500.00 last year. If D2 has a separate individual state tournament it will make money but the D1 tournament would have a severe net income loss that could not be offset by the net income profit of the D2 tournament. JMO, but the D1 individual state tournament should be moved back to Chattanooga and the D2 schools should have their own tournament at Father Ryan, The McCallie School or use the old gym at UTC which was a great site for many years. For the TSSAA this is nothing more than a financial decision and has nothing to do with growing the sport and what is best for the sport. It's difficult for me to believe that with the "Cow Palace" being a rent free facility and the TSSAA only made around $1500.00 net profit on the state tournament. Is it time to revert back to the old system and place D1 & D2 back together but with a 32 man double elimination bracket tournament to be held in Chattanooga?

Edited by cbg