Webb at CAK

TNHSfan

First, I am not an MBA fan. Second, I did not say or imply that enrollment is the be-all and end-all of high school football success. I was responding to the statement of the Webb supporter who posted: "Webb has half the enrollment of the big D II schools. So congratulations for your win. You cant compare Webb to the big D II schools so just stop. We understand we cant compete week in and week out against those large schools."

I merely pointed out that this is an invalid excuse since other schools with similar or less enrollment can and do compete against anyone in the state. Moreover, if Webb wants to use enrollment as an excuse, you should also in all fairness acknowledge that Webb's enrollment dwarfs those schools against which it competes each year for gold balls. While there may not be much difference in football talent between a school with 200 boys and one with 400 boys, there most certainly is a difference between a school with a total of 50 boys and Webb's over 200 boys. Those are the schools that Webb is "dominating" week in and week out.

I also question your statement regarding the nature of the teams that you play against in the playoffs. If the D2-A playoffs are so competitive, please explain how Webb has won the state championship title game in 3 of the 4 years since they moved down by scores of 47-14, 42-7 and 30-0. Doesn't sound too competitive to me. I am sure those schools were much more competitive with each other before Webb moved down in order to get some gold.

Webb is a wonderful school and I know of no one who thinks it "sucks to be you". However, I really have a hard time not responding to the Webb posters who continually suggest that Webb is really brave for scheduling a couple of out-of-region games with "heavyweights" and that their recent football success is amazing considering all of their handicaps, including their enrollment size. Truth be told, Webb has had fantastic football success since they became the biggest fish in a small pond.

Edited by Spartan4Life

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone here is missing the point. Yes Webb's enrollment is as high as many DII schools, yes Webb has 2 of the best 20 players in the state (Kelly, Mitchell) However, for whatever reason (school president in my opinion) Webb has not taken advantage of the opportunity to be a top 5 team in the state all classifications.  Instead we settle for around 25th. Webb has the facilities, the coaches, and the system to be one of the best in the state every year. However, there is not a strong emphasis on the program as their is at Ensworth, BA, or MUS. Webb fields only 32 players! That is less than many of the schools with less enrollment then them in DIV-II-A. For whatever reason (this new spoiled soft generation of kids) dont want to play football. When i played we always had at least 60 players. When i played we played up and were competitive, not the best but definitely not the worst. Webb has more talent in the past 4 years then ever before (Caleb Blance, Aaron Blance, Parker Wormsley, Todd Kelly Jr, Brant Mitchell to name a few) but also has less depth and and hardly every more than 40 players on their roster since the 2009 season. Talent wise we are right there, but the depth is so little its embarrassing, which prevents us from playing with the biggest teams in the state week in and week out. 

BTW Ensworth enrollment is smaller than probably thousands of schools in the country. Doesnt mean they wouldnt blow them all out by 40. Ensworth is no average 500 student enrollment school, they are all about football and a national powerhouse, I wish Webb would follow suit. 

Webb has an insane schedule to start the season.  All top programs in the state including the next 2:  CAK/FCS.  The FCS puts them back in their division to see who gets home field advantage in the playoffs.  Considering what they did against Maryville/Baylor ... Home field might run through Knoxville again this year until we all get to Cookeville.  Hats off to Webb for playing a powerful schedule. 

As far as the topic at hand, this is not the CAK team of the last 4 years, and no where close to the last 2 years. The well oiled offensive machine that has typified CAK the last few years is really struggling. It will take much better play from the CAK receivers and QB to even be competitive in this game, that is just the reality. The Warriors are also missing their biggest offensive threat in WR #6, Cunningham due to injury, who was the primary player responsible for keeping the game so close with Powell. The Warriors have a LOT of work to do to right the ship.

RedRobin1... you continually ride this horse and we all know what your opinion is regarding Webb. The bottom line is exactly what Spartan4Life said. The dirty little secret regarding Webb, that is known to many close to the situation, is that the current school President, SCOTT HUTCHINSON... doesn't give a rats rear about the football program. He tolerates soccer but as far as the big three sports go, he couldn't care less.

Instead of embracing it and using the big three sports to make Webb a thought as a destination for more student/athletes and their families... it's the bane of his existience. Because of his lack of leadership in this area, the majority of Webb's close to 200+ boys in the high school do not play football.

Until that changes, Webb will never play up or compete at the same level as the upper crust in DII. 

I could only go back 13 yrs on CoachT and what I noticed was? This CAK vs Webb game has some meaning to it. In 13 yrs in which that is as far as it would allow me to go back? Webb has NOT lost the first 3 games of its schedule. I'm sure Webb is aware of this and probably going to spitting nails not to let this happen especially knowing how loaded they are with ALL this talent they have! CAK on the other hand has lost 2 in a row also by the narrowest of margins and are kinda in the same boat as Webb. This could make for MAYBE? The best game of the week considering what's at stake for both teams?

I agree with what Govolsknox has already said about this years version of CAK.  At this time we are merely a shell of what we have been.  Ironically, CAK's upsurge began the year after the last meeting between these 2 schools (2008), and now they will resume playing the very year that CAK has taking several steps back.  With all of the injuries and graduation I really think it is going to be tough for the Warriors to hang with the Spartans Friday night.  One key factor could be if the injured MLB suits up and plays for Webb.  He is a great run stopper and the run game has been uncharacteristically important for CAK so far this year.  I'm afraid that the Warriors are just going to be too short handed against Webb and the better teams on their schedule.  On the positive side, CAK's D is a scrappy bunch and have played well at times.  They shut Catholic out and really didn't play too poorly most of the time against Powell, although they gave up a lot of points.  The Warriors need for the Spartans to help them out with some turnovers and penalties and play mistake free themselves.  Its true that CAK could very easily be 3-0 right now rather than 1-2, but the reality is a 2 game losing streak and key players out with injury or not performing as well as they could.  Advantage Webb at this point, but I will be there Friday night to see how it unfolds.

I was looking at both schedules after the Webb vs CAK game? DANG! It don't look like it gets any easier anytime soon for either team? Webb has Friendship Academy and DCA and CAK has Scott co who could be undefeated and Grace Christian Academy who has given CAK All they wanted and more the past couple of years! Webb will probably see the best QB in Friendship Academy and CAK is going to see maybe? The best 2-A team in the state? But, I can say one thing about all of this? Kudo's to both teams for scheduling tough teams because IMO that says alot about a football program! Just my 2cents worth lol

I was looking at both schedules after the Webb vs CAK game? DANG! It don't look like it gets any easier anytime soon for either team? Webb has Friendship Academy and DCA and CAK has Scott co who could be undefeated and Grace Christian Academy who has given CAK All they wanted and more the past couple of years! Webb will probably see the best QB in Friendship Academy and CAK is going to see maybe? The best 2-A team in the state? But, I can say one thing about all of this? Kudo's to both teams for scheduling tough teams because IMO that says alot about a football program! Just my 2cents worth lol

Tough schedules should make a team more playoff ready, but in CAK's case this year, they may not make the playoffs.  We were better suited for this schedule the past few years, but with injuries and graduation, it is going to be a struggle for the Warriors.  Not impossible, but truly a struggle.  Good luck to both teams this Friday  :thumb:

I agree with what Govolsknox has already said about this years version of CAK.  At this time we are merely a shell of what we have been.  Ironically, CAK's upsurge began the year after the last meeting between these 2 schools (2008), and now they will resume playing the very year that CAK has taking several steps back.  With all of the injuries and graduation I really think it is going to be tough for the Warriors to hang with the Spartans Friday night.  One key factor could be if the injured MLB suits up and plays for Webb.  He is a great run stopper and the run game has been uncharacteristically important for CAK so far this year.  I'm afraid that the Warriors are just going to be too short handed against Webb and the better teams on their schedule.  On the positive side, CAK's D is a scrappy bunch and have played well at times.  They shut Catholic out and really didn't play too poorly most of the time against Powell, although they gave up a lot of points.  The Warriors need for the Spartans to help them out with some turnovers and penalties and play mistake free themselves.  Its true that CAK could very easily be 3-0 right now rather than 1-2, but the reality is a 2 game losing streak and key players out with injury or not performing as well as they could.  Advantage Webb at this point, but I will be there Friday night to see how it unfolds.

What is the reason for Webb & CAK not playing these last few years ? It does seem weird that everyone knew how great CAK was going to be the last few years .... and everybody knew this year was going to be a struggle after losing so many stars ! Is this just coincidence , or was Webb trying to avoid a team they knew would be awfully hard to beat ? 

What is the reason for Webb & CAK not playing these last few years ? It does seem weird that everyone knew how great CAK was going to be the last few years .... and everybody knew this year was going to be a struggle after losing so many stars ! Is this just coincidence , or was Webb trying to avoid a team they knew would be awfully hard to beat ? 

No, Webb wasn't trying to avoid CAK, at least that is my understanding.  While I certainly was not privy to the actual conversations leading to the decisions made several years ago about ending the rivalry, its my understanding that there was some conflict between the administration of the two schools regarding conduct between the two teams and schools along with the whole Division 1 & Division 2 debate.  Take that for what its worth, which is not much, ha.  I for one, have always thought that Webb & Catholic should be on our schedule, especially once scheduling started to become such an issue for CAK.  Webb certainly has had the upper hand in this short football rivalry (CAK has only had a football team app. 12 years) and I expect that will continue in the short term.  However, I do believe the Warriors have been more than capable of winning against Webb over the past few years.  I'm not sure exactly why the schools have now been able to work out their differences and start scheduling each other again regularly in football, but it appears they have.