Wartburg at Coalfield

KickinWing11

Pistol is a little different from shotgun actually. It is not under center though. I'm not a coach but going from SHOTGUN to under center can change a lot of things for a qb. Like pass drops, angles to hand off the ball, depth behind the line when throwing too. To me it would be hard to change so much so fast. But, I never played a down. Just like watching and talking about it.

I agree with you, I've watched a lot of shotgun spread teams as most have. My stepson actually played QB at a D2 college that ran it also. They actually ran their stop clock and victory / QB kneel out of shotgun because taking 80 snaps each game out of shotgun then going under center to kneel usually spells trouble with the exchange. Point being when the center and QB are used to the gun exchange the under center route is pretty risky. I'm like you, I'm by no means a coach, but I definitely wouldn't think week 5 is the time to go from a shotgun or pistol spread to and under center formation as your base offense. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if turnovers are already a main concern.

Edited by crow

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, I've watched a lot of shotgun spread teams as most have. My stepson actually played QB at a D2 college that ran it also. They actually ran their stop clock and victory / QB kneel out of shotgun because taking 80 snaps each game out of shotgun then going under center to kneel usually spells trouble with the exchange. Point being when the center and QB are used to the gun exchange the under center route is pretty risky. I'm like you, I'm by no means a coach, but I definitely wouldn't think week 5 is the time to go from a shotgun or pistol spread to and under center formation as your base offense. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if turnovers are already a main concern.

We had i don't really remember the exact number i think around 5-6 bad snaps from shotgun including 2 fumbles? Last week. Our center now hasn't really played center much and just about anyone can snap the ball from under center, which would free him up and balance our line.. And that would help so much. Plus coalfield has this week off and the next 2 or 3 weeks after that and let's face it aren't really gonna be a challenged until Oneida... I don't really agree with your taking snaps under center to be really challenging. I would agree with going from under center to shotgun would be challenging but not really the other way around? Anyways they would have 4 weeks I think? To get everything worked out... And I'm not saying that would magically fix coalfields problem it comes down these boys are not playing like they used too.. I think coalfields a sleeping giant, and if we ever get woke up we will be just fine.

We had i don't really remember the exact number i think around 5-6 bad snaps from shotgun including 2 fumbles? Last week. Our center now hasn't really played center much and just about anyone can snap the ball from under center, which would free him up and balance our line.. And that would help so much. Plus coalfield has this week off and the next 2 or 3 weeks after that and let's face it aren't really gonna be a challenged until Oneida... I don't really agree with your taking snaps under center to be really challenging. I would agree with going from under center to shotgun would be challenging but not really the other way around? Anyways they would have 4 weeks I think? To get everything worked out... And I'm not saying that would magically fix coalfields problem it comes down these boys are not playing like they used too.. I think coalfields a sleeping giant, and if we ever get woke up we will be just fine.

Just about anyone can play center if its not a shotgun snap offense? Really? Have you ever had any experience playing O line? Center is the QB of the O line, or at least should be. That is where the blocking assignment adjustments & audible decisions are made, or supposed to any way. Not to mention he is the ONLY player on offense that has to handle he ball every play. Center is he heart of any O line. They're kinda like kickers, a little different & don't mess with their "mojo" if it's working. They're not as weird as kickers though, kickers are strange characters in deed :lol:

Just about anyone can play center if its not a shotgun snap offense? Really? Have you ever had any experience playing O line? Center is the QB of the O line, or at least should be. That is where the blocking assignment adjustments & audible decisions are made, or supposed to any way. Not to mention he is the ONLY player on offense that has to handle he ball every play. Center is he heart of any O line. They're kinda like kickers, a little different & don't mess with their "mojo" if it's working. They're not as weird as kickers though, kickers are strange characters in deed :lol:

Although I do agree that snapping the ball is easier under center, not everyone can center. The center (in an offense that is coached properly) is responsible for determining who is the Mike backer and things like that which tells the entire line who their blocking assignment is for that play. A lot of times the center has special calls from what he sees from the def. alignment that will tell each lineman who to block. He can also make reads that can help the qb audible at the line. Not every kid is capable of not only knowing his blocking assignment but the blocking assignment of every man on the line. Not to mention that you have to focus on the snap before you can block. Like I said, I wish Coalfield had someone else to center to get Napier back to guard. But there is no one.

maybe kba can understand this now!