Marion vs Sale Creek (McCurry man against that Cox man)

Roy Dillard

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marion could have put 50 on Whitwell if they wanted to. That is what I meant. Marion wins this won as by as much as they want. But you are right, Whitwell is a much better team that Sale Creek.

Whitwell has about 85 years experience of getting their butts kicked though.  I suspect that if Sale Creek can stick it out, they will develop a good program.

And i believe that Marions JV scored twice on the battered LV defense. Just because Marions upperclassmen are talented, doesnt mean Marion wont have a good team for the next 3-4 years. They have some young athletes

Agreed. #40 and #6 looked really good on offense. #11 needs to grow if he's going to be the qb after Walters graduates.

Whitwell can build a competitive program. People there just need to decide what they want. Before I went back there in 1999 I sat down with Wes Green and ask him what his goal was and how we would obtain those goals. All we wanted to do was get people on board, improve facilities, get the program back to where we could compete with area teams and make the playoffs. Thing is there are not many single A teams in the area. However by playing bigger area teams, it brought good money into the program. I think we went to the playoffs one year and were only 5-5 and people said we should not have been there. We played an 8-2 Monteray team and won by like 21 points, it should have been worse. I know what the coach there is doing right now by playing the teams he is playing, if he can get the program back to playing all the area teams people in Whitwell just need to be realistic, and most are, they are just not as vocal about it as the negative 2%. It is not just Whitwell that is like that, however your good programs like Jasper, S. Pitt, Boyd, and Signal Mtn. you just don't hear the negativity that often, because instead of people agreeing with them they more times than not are getting set straight. I guess what my point is, what I suggest to Sale Creek is to take a lesson from what Wes Green did at Whitwell. The first year I was there we went 0-10 but we won every week. If we all dressed right it was a win. If the weights were picked up a win, everybody makes it to practice a win, team making good grades and behaving in school a win, cut down on penalties and mental errors a win, I can go on but you can see that it did not really matter if we won the ball game on Friday night, because by the time we played the game we had already had more wins than we were going to possibly get that night. The next year we went 8-4 beat Boyd and won Region title, guess what wins starting showing up on Friday night too. One last thing, when I got to Whitwell in 1999 I was embarrassed about how ran down the facilities were, people wanted better facilities but a lot of the powers to be just wanted to wish we had better or would just complain about what Jasper or S. Pitt. had. I called the road commissioner and asked if the county could help us out, in about six months with help from others we had a track. Once that happened the non vocal 98% at Whitwell began to chip in and help out, they became part of the solution instead of the problem. There are some really great people in Whitwell that want good things for the kids, however it is the snakes in the grass that you have to beware of. Good luck to all and be safe.

Guys Sale Creek hasn't taken on a Remodel they have jumped into a complete ground up build. Some I have talked to associated with the program indicated that several key pieces that they were counting on have jumped ship even since the first game. When you have never played kids have no idea of the work involved and the dedication one must have. They also have 5 starters out the last couple weeks, 2 with season ending injuries one being there best athlete. I was also told that around 5 or 6 true freshman were starting on one side of the ball or the other. So obviously we all see the results from all this on Fridays. As the earlier guy posted this program has won some internal victories up to this point. Around 25 dedicated kids remain on the team and are getting valuable experience and slowly learning what it is to become a football player. They will be the ones who started it all and will be able to look back regardless of the record and be proud they never gave up. The coaches appear to have taken a vested interest in these kids lives outside of football and continue to mold these young men into football players, and more importantly how to be great men with respect and what family is about and some kids in this community do not have that in there corner. Some kids have even come to know God during this experience which to me is the biggest victory of all for any kid on any team. With only 3 seniors on the team things should improve over over the next couple years.