Greeneville @ West Greene

DevilMan03

That's a matter of opinion there Barb! What I'm saying is the County can't produce money to help these county school build good programs heck if it wasn't for Nisewonger footing the bill for the band programs in all the county schools they would still be with out bands! I pay both city and county taxes so where does this money go? Not to the schools! Gville doesn't have that problem with budgeting. That's why the county schools are falling to the wayside. Before you say it's dumb check into it first.

Where does the money go? Well for starters, 30% of county property taxes go to city schools. Greeneville gets a cut of county property taxes in addition to the city taxes. That leaves 70% of the revenue for Greene County. Now, Greeneville has 6 schools to fund and their share of the technical school. Greene County has nearly 3 times that many, and 4 of those are high schools with more expensive faculty. Do you seriously think the county is wasting money they could be spending on schools? They have over 600 sq miles full of county roads. Who do you think pays to maintain them?  In the 10 years I lived in Northern Greene County, I spent the first 5 of them working with our neighbors to get our road paved (which didn't happen until they built commercial chicken houses on it) and the next 5 trying to get the county to repair the damage caused by the truck traffic. Each time we called, the story was the same...not in the budget. I am still paying property taxes to both the city and county on our property in Greeneville and I make it a point to "check into" things. From what I can see, they are doing the best they can with the limited funds they have. What really bugs me is come County School budget time every year, they use cutting coaching supplements to try to force tax increases. I think they did it again when they were trying to pass the Wheel Tax and the school board budget for that was something around $265,000 give or take a little. Do the math, PC, 265,000 divided by 4 schools and all the sports in each of those...don't forget Title IX and all the girls sports.  Before you blame the county commission for the lack of funding for athletics maybe you should realize they are squeezing blood out of turnips. If Greeneville High had to rely on school budget funds to pay for all the things required to field first class sports and music programs we would be SOL. Neither would be where they are without the boosters.

Where does the money go? Well for starters, 30% of county property taxes go to city schools. Greeneville gets a cut of county property taxes in addition to the city taxes. That leaves 70% of the revenue for Greene County. Now, Greeneville has 6 schools to fund and their share of the technical school. Greene County has nearly 3 times that many, and 4 of those are high schools with more expensive faculty. Do you seriously think the county is wasting money they could be spending on schools? They have over 600 sq miles full of county roads. Who do you think pays to maintain them? In the 10 years I lived in Northern Greene County, I spent the first 5 of them working with our neighbors to get our road paved (which didn't happen until they built commercial chicken houses on it) and the next 5 trying to get the county to repair the damage caused by the truck traffic. Each time we called, the story was the same...not in the budget. I am still paying property taxes to both the city and county on our property in Greeneville and I make it a point to "check into" things. From what I can see, they are doing the best they can with the limited funds they have. What really bugs me is come County School budget time every year, they use cutting coaching supplements to try to force tax increases. I think they did it again when they were trying to pass the Wheel Tax and the school board budget for that was something around $265,000 give or take a little. Do the math, PC, 265,000 divided by 4 schools and all the sports in each of those...don't forget Title IX and all the girls sports. Before you blame the county commission for the lack of funding for athletics maybe you should realize they are squeezing blood out of turnips. If Greeneville High had to rely on school budget funds to pay for all the things required to field first class sports and music programs we would be SOL. Neither would be where they are without the boosters.

. Yes I do think they waste the money, 1st the county is 1.5 million in debt, 2nd they have cut all funding the the boys and girls club and almost shut down the Greeneville Greene county library where my wife works but the state came in and put a stop to it. 3rd my daughter is a teacher how see this on a daily basis. I agree with some of what you said above but not all of it. With that aid lets get back to talking FOOTBALL not politics.

Sincere question:

I do believe Coach Ballard is a great coach and has done a great and lasting job for Greeneville.  A lot of respect here.  But, he seems like such a harda** and a bit of a jerk every simgle time I have seen him on the field, around the field, on tv, and off the field.  Is the dude always like this? haha!  He's kind of the anti-Graham Clark.  Clark would rather be cute with a Mayberry line, whereas Ballard would rather give a one word game report and a dirty look. ha!

I was waiting to see if anyone else wanted to take this one. Guess not.....lol......Ok, I think I can speak pretty well on Coach Ballards Demeanor, as I have spent a lot of time with the team the last 4 years and you couldn't be farther from the truth. Caine is as Caine does. He's pretty quiet when it comes to talking to folks, but when it comes to his team, the volume level increases as the need increases. He's no more a "hard**s" than  he needs to be. The kids absolutely love coach B and all the other coaches. Atleast that's how it appears to me. Ofcourse im sure there's probably some kids that would prefer to be coddled and have their hands held thru practice, but those kids are few and far between at GHS now. ( remember the days when we had 3 or 4 that suited up to stand on the sidelines, then at halftime performed with the band. If a kid had done that when I was in HS in the early 80's he would have lived with a permaswirly).

Coach B gets the utmost respect from his kids as it should be and in return, I sincerely believe he does his level best to provide the kids with the best opportunity around to compete and advance to the next level if it all possible I watch him stay on the kids about their grades and making good decisions outside of the football program.. You know, "when no ones watching"

I'll put it this way, my last football coach was a total D'head and a complete Hard'**s and we didn't win a game that year. we all hated him and half the kids quit before the season was over

I personally think Ballard is the perfect mix of "Tough love and Great Mentor" for these kids. Im pretty sure they would concur.

Great show of class by West Greene and Joe Case being a sore loser and setting a great example for his kids. I wouldn't let my kid take the field for him again, if I were the parents out there!

Yeah I heard only 1 player from WG went to shake hands...the rest left the field. Am I to understand the coaches also left?