Gerry Bertier's 3A Playoffs Final Predictions After Week 10

Gerry Bertier

The last post I meant to quote is absolutely one of the craziest things I've ever heard in high school football... coaches and adults are trying to instill into players to not take a play off and to treat every play like it was their last and your supporting people "giving players a game off because to prepare for the playoffs or so you can pay a different team because the Packers, Bears, and Saints do it in the Pros".. that's honestly just sad.

What would be the problem with cutting down the 3A field to 24 teams?

Hard to do without byes and 3A/4A mixed districts. In an earlier post I suggested 24 teams: top 8 teams get a bye (problem is how do you pick those teams out of 16 mixed class districts), next 16 play a 1st round game and those winners play on the road at a Top 8 team week 2. This does not extend the season, it gives a rest reward for the Top 8 teams, it eliminates 8 teams that probably shouldn't be there, and prevents huge blowout games in the first round. The hard part would be ranking the teams to determine who makes it.

Perhaps the top 8 teams would be those ranked by the current TSSAA structure (total # of wins, opponents with .500 winning %, etc.) or come up with some other criteria.  So, each of the 4 quads would have 6 teams with 2 of those (the #1 and #2 seeds) getting byes.

I like that idea. Anything would be better than what we have now with 4 win teams getting beat by 40 in the 1st round.

BTW, couldn't make game last night. Are we healthy yet? Didn't see T. Richard in stats.

TR is nursing a slight case of turf toe so he took the night off but he's expected to play next week.  P. Howell is supposed to suit up next week, but they'll ease him back in.  Martin said they really don't want to put a heavy load on him until they have to (later rounds of playoffs).  H. Nichols is expected back in 2 weeks for round 2.

I understand Cascade's coach accused Martin of having "dirty players" after the game.

I have watched CPA closely for a long time and I know football pretty well. If playing until the whistle full speed and maintaining your block is "dirty" they are guilty. Some coaches aren't used to seeing players do that. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't there and didn't hear him say it. If he did, hopefully, he was misquoted, taken out of context, or just hurting from a spanking.

The last post I meant to quote is absolutely one of the craziest things I've ever heard in high school football... coaches and adults are trying to instill into players to not take a play off and to treat every play like it was their last and your supporting people "giving players a game off because to prepare for the playoffs or so you can pay a different team because the Packers, Bears, and Saints do it in the Pros".. that's honestly just sad.

Find out more about what happened last night and you'll see why it made since what I said. I was right all the way around why you rest your starters on the game last night. That's all I'll say about that. You'll hear sooner or later.

Find out more about what happened last night and you'll see why it made since what I said. I was right all the way around why you rest your starters on the game last night. That's all I'll say about that. You'll hear sooner or later.

I don't want you to think I'm against testing your starters on a lead.. but not playing to win is what I'm talking about. my bad if I was unclear. for real