Notre Dame Defeats Liberty in State Quarters, 5-0

bbb

MURFREESBORO – If it’s TSSAA girls state soccer time, then Notre Dame must not only be in the D-I A-AA field, but in the semifinals.

Coach Jim Schermerhorn’s Irish advanced to the state semis for the eighth time in the last nine years with a 5-0 win against Liberty Magnet (Jackson), here Wednesday afternoon at the Siegel Soccer Complex.

Junior Austin Nelson scored twice and Sofia Olencheck had two assists as the Irish improve to 13-6-4.

Nelson opened the scoring in the 9th minute on a pass from Olencheck followed by an unassisted goal by Emma Higgins in the 19th minute for a 2-0 halftime lead.

The Irish made it 5-0 by the 50th minute with three goals – Nelson, Courtney Boyd (penalty kick) and Hannah Dearing – in a three-minute span.

“It was a good win, we did our job and we are moving on,†said Notre Dame coach Jim Schermerhorn whose team advances to Thursday’s semifinals.

“We knew very little about Liberty so we played a little nervous in the first few minutes, but once we scored we settled down.â€

Irish in the Semis: Notre Dame reached the state semis for seven straight years (2005-2011) winning it all in 2010, before losing a quarterfinals match in 2012.

Yankee Cap: A Massachusetts native and a New York Yankee fan since the 1950s, Coach Jim Schermerhorn wears a different Yankee cap each season.

“I start in June with a new Yankee cap and by the time the state tournament is here in late October it’s time to retire it,†he said with a smile.

“My dad was a Yankee fan when I was growing up in the 1950 and 60s so that was my team with Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra and Roger Maris.â€

State Semis:  Thurs. Oct 31 3:30 EST

Notre Dame vs. Fairview-Knox. Catholic winner

Notre Dame at the State Tournament: 18 appearances ... All-time record: 19-15 ... two state titles .. 1988-2010

Most Tournament Wins (among this year's teams):

A-AA

19 - Notre Dame ... 18 - Christian Academy of Knoxville

17 - Chattanooga Christian (18

Tournament Appearances: 18 - Notre Dame ... 13 - CCS ... 12 -  CAK

Notre Dame 5, Liberty 0

Liberty 0 - 0 -- 0

Notre Dame 2 - 3 -- 5

ND - Austin Nelson (Sofia Olenchek), 1-0 … 9th minute

ND – Emma Higgins, 2-0 … 19th minute

ND – Nelson (Mackenzie Nadeau), 3-0 … 47th minute

ND – Courtney Boyd, 4-0 … 48th minute

ND – Hannah Dearing (Olenchek), 5-0 … 49th minute

Records: Notre Dame 13-6-4 

Stats:

Goals: ND, 5-0

Shots on Goal: ND, 16-4

Goalkeeper Saves: Liberty, 8-4

Corner Kicks: ND, 9-0

Fouls: Liberty, 9-7

Offsides: ND, 2-1

Good Keeper: Notre Dame's Taylor Green has five shutouts in the last nine matches.

Yellow Card: ND Coach - Jim Schermerhorn

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Edited by bbb

definitely not looking too good out there, but booger got galoshes for his feet and Boogerette to hold da brella over my head .....good to see ya CC :mrgreen: and sorry I missed you and MVM at the watering hole, but somebody slid Booger a roofy about 8:30 :wacko: .,,,,,,,,maybe I will see some of you other girls before this thing is over

I would actually welcome that so you could see I have absolutely no animosity towards either one of you.  If I was in Murfreesboro, I would love to sit down to a Toot's Sweet Tea and talk shop.  The sport is one of my favorites and I spend a lot of free time watching it.  I'm certainly no expert, just observant. (or Ob-Savant) :thumb:  It is entirely possible for any one of the 4 remaining teams to win the Championship, but if I had money riding on it I would still go with KC. (which has nothing to do with preference or religious affiliation) :roflol:

Kazzo

p.s.  Enjoy the tournament, Old Salt!!!!!!