Notre Dame State Champ James Jabaley Passes Away

bbb

"Everyone loved Jabo ... He was popular and had that infectious smile ... on the mat he had cat-like quickness, was tough and was known as a fine technician."

-- Notre Dame head coach John Mullin who was a teammate of James Jabaley in the mid-1970s.

In his final high school wrestling match (Feb.18, 1978), Notre Dame senior James Jabaley remembered his late brother, Charles, by wearing his old white uniform and won his third state title.

Today we remember "Jabo" with his infectious smile, unbelievable heart and tremendous toughness.

The former three-time state champ (1976-77-78) died Tuesday of cancer and left behind nothing but great memories for those who knew him.

"Not only did he have exceptional talent as a wrestler, but more impressively, he had an unbelievable heart which was a huge source of inspiration to those around him," said 1968

Notre Dame state champion Yogi Anderson who coached Jabaley for three years. "I am grateful to have been his friend and it was an honor to be his coach."

In winning that final state championship, he was also selected as the state tournament outstanding wrestler; the third Irish wrestler to be so honored following Pez Whatley (1969) and David Weeks (1973).

"James was always smiling and a nice guy, yet extremely tough on the mat," said 1975 East Ridge state champ Danny Gilbert.

"James was a great athlete and a great person. He was unique in so many ways," stated 1968 Notre Dame state champion Ken Mara.

One of four wrestling brothers, "Jabo", who lost two matches his final two seasons, led the Irish to district and region team titles as a junior in 1977 and joined with fellow Irish state champs Robbie Gaddis and Art Johnson to finish third in the state in 1978.

James Jabaley - Three-time state champion, Notre Dame

State Finals

1976: 105 pounds ...  James Jabaley won as Tommy Bonner (East Ridge) defaulted due to breaking team rules

1977: 105 pounds ... James Jabaley (ND) dec. Greg Wingo,

1978: 105 pounds ... James Jabaley (ND) dec. Bill Barbee (Baylor)

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Edited by bbb

This is the first I heard of his passing; I am shocked. I didn't know he had cancer; I'd seen him recently downtown on a street corner, we said our hellos and went on. Yes he was smiling; as many of you know he went through a tough spell, got through it, and since then he's been helping others in need, in his happy upbeat manner. I will miss you James, RIP.

Great article BB.

Sad to hear.  James was a great wrestler and an unbelievable personality.  He will be missed by all who knew him.

Have the arrangements been made yet?  If so, please advise.

have not heard about funeral arrangements  bbb

It is hard to think about James without smiling. He had a bright spirit that just took over a room. As an elementary schooler it was inspiring to watch him wrestle at ND. And to be a little kid around James was great because he would make a big production of rolling around the mats with you and acting like he was actually getting taken down. Then my sister took me to the school play where he did a scene that I remember to this day. It was a comic skit where he played a guy in front of a firing squad and parlayed his last request into being able to command the squad one last time and marched them out of the room. That still makes me smile. Later he would come to our matches and that made us proud to show him that we were trying to carry on the tradition. Many years later the eyes of an entirely different generation of wrestlers would light up when he was around. He will be missed.