Division II-AA Quarterfinals

WesVLT

First of all I agree with you guys on the tssaa has no respect for the d2 schools.....the best league in the state and the championship game is being played on a Thursday night ,what a joke. I am a McCallie fan and was at the game against MUS in Memphis on Friday night. Mccallie clearly was the better team and outplayed mus. The officials were the worst I have seen in 30 years of watching high school football. MUS was awarded a touchdown clearly after the qb was sacked and the play should have been blown dead. The line judge on MUS side called 3 holding penalties after mccallie had converted 3rd and long situations. The mccallie boys played their hearts out and did all this with their qb and leading receiver out with knee injuries. MUS should feel very lucky to have advanced. If this game would have been played in Chattanooga ....mccallie would have won by 2 tds. Their needs to be some cross-overs game played in d2 aa during regular season. The west teams like MUS need to earn their number 1 seed and home field advantage.

Your post is that of a pathetic sore loser.  Blame the loss on the officials, on injuries.  Claim your team was better and of course would have won the game easily if played on YOUR home field.  Your comments dishonor the players of both teams.  They are particularly offensive to read on a D2 thread from a chronological adult.

That play where you claim the QB was "sacked" was shown on several local TV stations and was the "Play of the Night" on one prep sports show.  And not because it showed MUS getting a "break" from the officials.  I probably watched it 5 times. It wasn't some view from the stands half a field away. It was a close up telephoto shot from a media crew. Your comment about it is totally false and misleading. .The QB was not "sacked."  While evading defenders he was hardly touched but slipped on the damp turf, almost fell, caught himself on his outstretched arm, righted himself then threw a pass to Perry, who first bobbled and juggled the ball while running then tipped it forward to himself before running in for the TD.  Admittedly, you could  not tell  from the stands OR from the broadcast video that the QB's knee didn't touch the ground, but the clip on the TV sports reports - shot near ground level from the end zone - clearly showed the refs got the call right.  In fact, it wasn't even close.  Get a copy of the video then post your apology here.

Your remark about the officiating went far beyond exaggeration and hyperbole to the realm of compete absurdity.  The officiating was fine.  It was one of those rare games where nobody around me - knowledgeable fans, former HS and college players, both biased and unbiased - commented about a single call either way.  It's almost a laughable cliche to say "the refs threw the flag late" after we made the first down or TD.  The football truism is that you probably made the big play BECAUSE you were "holding" or whatever.

MUS had injuries and  missing players too.  I'm sorry Craig didn't get to play but that's the nature of the game.  As a fan, I always want to see both teams at full strength. That would stop most of the "what if" speculative whining by people like you.  You play the hand you're dealt.

The McCallie team ON THE FIELD struggled to score points and caught the MUS offense less than sharp after a 2 week layoff.  However, the MUS "D" stifled their offense pretty much the whole game and mostly decided the outcome.  Bent but didn't break.  McCallie's biggest gainer of the night by far was a long return of a MUS fumble just outside the "Red Zone" that ended a likely scoring drive.  There was "no comparison" between the kicking games.  This was big also.

MUS did start strongly in the second half, stopped McCallie then quickly drove down the field on their first possession but settled on a FG after a blown play.  On their second possession halfway through the 3rd quarter, MUS lost their star RB Neel, who had not been contained all night: 127 yards in 2 1/2 quarters. After getting 1st down on the McCallie 40, MUS lost 13 yards on the next 2 plays, were forced to punt, lost all their momentum, and then mostly played "hold on" and "run out" the rest of the game, as their other 2 experienced RBs were not even dressed out.

Your comment about "earning" home field advantage and implication that MUS would finish just ahead of PJP in E/M is condescending, insulting and frankly ignorant of historical facts.  I suggest you look at the record books and note that  MUS has played in 5 of the last 10 state championships and won 4 of them.  Please note also that the #1 team in Mississippi, nationally ranked South Panola, has a 12-1 record.

Edited by owlbooster
  • Upvote 1

This post by you little owl only confirms what I all ready knew and heard from some folks in Memphis...mus players and fans have a sense of entitlement about themselves. And yes the officials played a big part in deciding the outcome of the game. I guess you don't remember the play with 8 minutes left in the game and mus leading only 13-10 at the time...the same refree on the mus side calls a block in the back after mccallie makes a big first down and gets into mus territory. Clearly if you watch the video this was a terrible call,by the way since you know everything how many holding calls did the official on the mus side call on mccallie after 3rd down conversions. Home field advantage is very big in the d2 playoffs considering the amount of travel involved. I don't have an answer to the problem .....but mus having to beat cbhs,briarcrest, and st Ben for a number 1 seed what a joke. And by the way if you don't like my comments then don't reply to them. I don't want to get the pretty little d2 board shook up ....I challenged mus on a few things and I think you got upset.

This post by you little owl only confirms what I all ready knew and heard from some folks in Memphis...mus players and fans have a sense of entitlement about themselves. And yes the officials played a big part in deciding the outcome of the game. I guess you don't remember the play with 8 minutes left in the game and mus leading only 13-10 at the time...the same refree on the mus side calls a block in the back after mccallie makes a big first down and gets into mus territory. Clearly if you watch the video this was a terrible call,by the way since you know everything how many holding calls did the official on the mus side call on mccallie after 3rd down conversions. Home field advantage is very big in the d2 playoffs considering the amount of travel involved. I don't have an answer to the problem .....but mus having to beat cbhs,briarcrest, and st Ben for a number 1 seed what a joke. And by the way if you don't like my comments then don't reply to them. I don't want to get the pretty little d2 board shook up ....I challenged mus on a few things and I think you got upset.

Your posts are petty and small.  You deserved to be confronted. It's usually only teenagers that make comments like yours.  You can dissect and slant every play and call of the game if you chose.  If anybody actually cares, they can watch the game video, albeit from a distant viewpoint, just like yours on those calls on the MUS side of the field, and make their own decision.  If you don't want to travel I suggest you finish a little higher than 6th next year.  With Craig back, you're off to a good start.

Move your campus to Memphis.  The divisions are geographical and not going to change.  Everybody is aware of the disparity between W and E/M.  It was more evident this year than ever.  MUS plays the division schedule they are given AND has elected to schedule either Ensworth or BA the last 3 seasons.  You need to move on.

P.S. BTW FYI  The last 2 years of "crossover" play, 2004 & 2005, MUS went 5-1 in the regular season and 4-0 in the playoffs versus E/M including 3 wins over MBA and 2 over BA.   Not saying that would have happened this year - this is not one of MUS best teams.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for you to chew on.

Edited by owlbooster

Vol, you're ridiculous...I was at the MUS game as well and your comments couldn't be further from the truth. Mccallie never looked as though they were the better team. It was clear that MUS was rusty...they missed several wide open receivers and dropped 2 or 3 pick 6s...honestly it should've been a blow out by MUS. The only good drive mccallie put together came right after Colton Neel went out of the game with a broken ankle which temporarily deflated the owls. Personally, I thought Mccallie was a good team and would've loved to have seen them at full strength. Your whiny comments take away from what your boys did on the field. And, I noticed you didn't respond to the comment about MUS giving S Panola their only loss....

Little owl you started your post by calling me a pathetic sore loser just because I had a different view of the game than you did. When I read your post I was concerned that I was replying to a mus student or player. Just a few more notes from this game and I will be done with this. The mccallie coaches had 2 unsportsman like penalties called on them for disagreeing with some calls...the mccallie coaches handle themselves with class and I cant remember a game all year where they had 2 penalties called on the bench. As for next week I have seen both teams play...Big Red rolls over the mussys by 21 how do you like that prediction wes.

Little owl you started your post by calling me a pathetic sore loser just because I had a different view of the game than you did. When I read your post I was concerned that I was replying to a mus student or player. Just a few more notes from this game and I will be done with this. The mccallie coaches had 2 unsportsman like penalties called on them for disagreeing with some calls...the mccallie coaches handle themselves with class and I cant remember a game all year where they had 2 penalties called on the bench. As for next week I have seen both teams play...Big Red rolls over the mussys by 21 how do you like that prediction wes.

As far as "pathetic sore loser" again readers can make their own decision about that based on your comments  As far as your MBA-MUS game prediction, with MUS' irreplaceable MVP Colton Neel out with an apparent broken ankle, I think it's pretty accurate.  MUS has to make some huge adjustments in their offense in only a week.  We shall see.

Edited by owlbooster

Be a better representative of the fine school you support and keep it classy. Coach Potter would be embarrassed by your excuses and pettiness.

I guess you don't remember the play with 8 minutes left in the game and mus leading only 13-10 at the time...the same refree on the mus side calls a block in the back after mccallie makes a big first down and gets into mus territory. Clearly if you watch the video this was a terrible call

I just watched the replay - which obviously you did NOT - and it "clearly" (as you like to say) shows #52 springing the receiver loose for the 1st down yardage with an obvious "block in the back" on MUS' #49.....NEXT!

Edited by owlbooster

I don't think MBA rolls over MUS just because Colton Neel is out...clearly he is the MVP but MUS has other options. Their run defense is strong- VOL cant attest to that.  I think this could be a low scoring affair with Wunderlich (the best kicker in this state and many other states) winning it for MUS with his magic foot.  But, if MUS can't slow down MBA's run game then VOL will be correct...

Just saw a YouTube video on Pulaski Academy ...very interesting ... They do not punt the ball. They also onside kick every time ..

Not to change the subject but here is the link.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaOJAYHfo

I just watched the replay - which obviously you did NOT - and it "clearly" (as you like to say) shows #52 springing the receiver loose for the 1st down yardage with an obvious "block in the back" on MUS' #49.....NEXT!

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

The line judge on MUS side called 3 holding penalties after mccallie had converted 3rd and long situations.

Factually inaccurate BS - were you even at the game?  This is a whopper.

Fact:  MUS had 2 holding calls; McCallie had 3.  NONE of the 5 calls nullified a 1st down.

For McCallie:  call #1 nullified a 2 yd run

call #2 nullified a 1 yd pass completion

call #3 was on an incomplete pass