District 4 A

gobeywarrior

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dogs have reeled off two nice wins lately one on the road at coalfield and a nice home win against oakdale halfway thru oneida and jellico are the frontrunners but theres 4 teams on there heels and its gonna be a close race down the stretch my 4 teams i got making it to regions are oneida,jellico,coalfield and wartburg

Very surprised with Oakdale's district play recently.  Wartburg beat them handily last Friday (A game I had Oakdale winning) & the Eagles lost to Sunbright tonight to give the Tigers their first win of the year. I knew Sunbright's first win was coming, but I didn't expect it to be Oakdale. Will be interesting to see how the team faces adversity in the coming games with a young core of players. I hope the best for them & Coach Nelson. I still believe they have the talent to win the district, they just have to recover from these few games soon, rather than freaking out and turning into a group of individuals.

I agree with you.....Oakdale is a capable basketball team.  My Indians are keeping a clean sheet in the district, even though they have struggled outside the league.  They are kinda Jeckle/Hyde type team.....they can be awful and two days later play lights out.....?  However, you have to give them credit thus far, they have met every challenge that the district has tossed at them.  They took down OS last night rather easily (surprised), which, I think, is the only team that has beaten Jellico.  If Yaden came keep the wheels on it they should get where they are heading. :thumb:

Kazzy

Whew.....after losing their one game advantage several days ago, the boys bounced back with a big win last night to remain in first place.  Got a little shaky at times, but it felt like there were some calls that kept Jellico closer than we wanted.  The poster boys for Player of the Year (West - 27 and Bowlin - 18) went about how it was expected.  They are both hard to guard and they clearly make their teams better.  Little shout out to Oneida Post Z. Newport, very solid game in the paint and from the FT Line.  Coach Yaden had to be somewhat pleased with the way his team handled pressure late in this game with so much on the line.

Kaz

It looks like the district is starting to take shape a bit more clearly.

1) Oneida

2) Jellico

3) Wartburg

4) Coalfield

5) OS

6) Oakdale

7) Sunbright

Looks like the top 4 on the list will be representing the district in the region.  A few questions to anyone who knows more than me a very biased Bulldogs fan :), I missed a lot of games this season, 1) is Coalfield that good? 2) What has happened to Oakdale?  Early they seemed to be doing really well, but have lost several games lately.  Injuries maybe? 3) Is the West kid back for Oneida, and did he play when Wartburg beat them?

Oneida looks like it's hold on the top spot got a little more solid footing after beating #2 Jellico.  They have at least got a game to work with going forward as everyone else in the district has at least 3 losses.  I'm hearing Coalfield has played well and we get our first real look at them tomorrow night.  I think Oakdale can be a good team if they get it together late.  West is back and Wartburg might have been his first game back.....he goes in a walking boot every day up til the game and the lack of stress in the foot seems to be helping him. 

I've heard the criticism of him and think it is unwarranted....the team played about as poorly over Christmas when he was out and last night they clawed out their win in Jellico's Gym.  If he had not been in the line-up they would be unsteady at best.  I know they have solid players around him, but they are clearly a different team with him playing.  I guess everyone would rather be winning, right? :thumb:

Kaz

Bulldogs are starting to come together in time for tournaments.  But what about the rest of the district, how are they looking?  Coalfield is looking stronger, Oneida looks like the team to beat, OS is starting to play better, but what about Oakdale Sunbright, and Jellico?  Oakdale has seemed to struggle lately after looking strong early on.  Any insights?  Also, Sunbright seems to be up and down with results, is it just lack of talent this season?

Tonight (Tuesday the 4th) was definitely an exciting night in the district. Oakdale picked up a huge win over Wartburg in a nail biter and Coalfield controlled the District-Champion Oneida Indians most of the night to cruise to a win. Heard Sunbright was up on OS in the 3rd but haven't seen a final. I watched Oakdale in their loss against Oneida the other night. Oakdale has been sliding recently, but after watching them play I still seriously think they can do damage in the tournament. They can score, the offense looks good, and nobody is really trying to ballhog the game away. However, their looming problem is defense. Defense wins championships (See: Seattle Seahawks). Oakdale can score with anybody, but anybody can score on them. Both Oneida and Wartburg almost hung 90 each on the Eagles.

The tournament will be awesome this year. Oneida has proved that it has the best player in the district in Cole West, but he definitely has a supporting cast behind him. Jellico looks strong, and with a few good shooting nights in a row, the district could be theirs. Coalfield showed they can take down the giant easily. Wartburg, OS, and Oakdale are all capable of beating anybody any given night. I guarantee no coach wants to play Sunbright in the 1st round. I know their record doesn't show it, but give Coach Maxfield and the players up there some credit. Sunbright in 1st round with anybody will be a battle, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they ended up winning.

Go Eagles!