Fairview @ CPA

coachcraig

Wow the talk that has followed this one was ugly.  I can see where everyone comes from in their feelings and therefore will not add to the discussion as far as the "off the field" or "dirty play" stuff was concerned.  CPA is a very impressive football team having now seen them in person this year.  They have two very efficient quarterbacks who bring totally different playing styles to the field.  Thomas Richard may be the state's top receiver.  He catches everything thrown his way.  I think that Fairview had a solid game plan all the way around.  They loaded up and made CPA make some tough throws to beat them.  It was evident from the first three series' that the Lions were not going to line up and beat the Jackets by running off-tackle.  I thought that a major adjustment on CPA's part came when they moved their normal blocking fullback to tight end and started running quarterback iso to the tight end side.  The style of play that the Fairview linemen play definitely gave the CPA offensive linemen fits at times.  It's very unconventional and not something that you see on an every week basis.  This was a major reason why I stated all of last week that CPA could not view Fairview the same as "East Nashville", "White House-Heritage", "the 12-AA teams", or "the other Metro schools" that they had played until this point.  CPA was not lucky to be up 20-0 at halftime as a poster said.  They executed when they needed to make plays.  At the same time though those 20 points were not as easy as they'd been coming throughout the season.  It was a 20-7 game midway through the third quarter.  I felt that once the game got "ugly" from this point forward that the rest of stuff that followed left a black eye on what was a solid contest for the majority of the night.  Players on both sides did silly stuff that we can often associate with high school athletics.  I felt that the officials really did a poor job of managing the game as a whole and they were the primary reason for this.  Late hits after the end of plays, cheap shots 30 yards from the ball, coaches screaming and running onto the field, etc. should not over shadow such an important stage.  Congrats to the Fairview Yellow Jackets on a tremendous season!  11-2, 8-4, 11-2, and 10-2 = 40-10 for the last 4 years.  The poster who said Fairview is arguably one of the state's best in 3A football should remove the word "arguably" from that statement.  I would easily call Fairview one of the best five or six football programs in the state in this classification.  I think with Zimmerman returning at QB and with the majority of the linemen returning that Fairview will be in the mix once again despite losing the likes of Wall, Jordan, Harvey, Myatt, Shiver, Moore.  Those guys won a lot of football games during their time at FHS.  Good Luck to CPA in the state semifinals against a very tough Lewis County team.  The Lions are trying to get over the hurdle that has been their stopping point the last two years. 

Wow the talk that has followed this one was ugly.  I can see where everyone comes from in their feelings and therefore will not add to the discussion as far as the "off the field" or "dirty play" stuff was concerned.  CPA is a very impressive football team having now seen them in person this year.  They have two very efficient quarterbacks who bring totally different playing styles to the field.  Thomas Richard may be the state's top receiver.  He catches everything thrown his way.  I think that Fairview had a solid game plan all the way around.  They loaded up and made CPA make some tough throws to beat them.  It was evident from the first three series' that the Lions were not going to line up and beat the Jackets by running off-tackle.  I thought that a major adjustment on CPA's part came when they moved their normal blocking fullback to tight end and started running quarterback iso to the tight end side.  The style of play that the Fairview linemen play definitely gave the CPA offensive linemen fits at times.  It's very unconventional and not something that you see on an every week basis.  This was a major reason why I stated all of last week that CPA could not view Fairview the same as "East Nashville", "White House-Heritage", "the 12-AA teams", or "the other Metro schools" that they had played until this point.  CPA was not lucky to be up 20-0 at halftime as a poster said.  They executed when they needed to make plays.  At the same time though those 20 points were not as easy as they'd been coming throughout the season.  It was a 20-7 game midway through the third quarter.  I felt that once the game got "ugly" from this point forward that the rest of stuff that followed left a black eye on what was a solid contest for the majority of the night.  Players on both sides did silly stuff that we can often associate with high school athletics.  I felt that the officials really did a poor job of managing the game as a whole and they were the primary reason for this.  Late hits after the end of plays, cheap shots 30 yards from the ball, coaches screaming and running onto the field, etc. should not over shadow such an important stage.  Congrats to the Fairview Yellow Jackets on a tremendous season!  11-2, 8-4, 11-2, and 10-2 = 40-10 for the last 4 years.  The poster who said Fairview is arguably one of the state's best in 3A football should remove the word "arguably" from that statement.  I would easily call Fairview one of the best five or six football programs in the state in this classification.  I think with Zimmerman returning at QB and with the majority of the linemen returning that Fairview will be in the mix once again despite losing the likes of Wall, Jordan, Harvey, Myatt, Shiver, Moore.  Those guys won a lot of football games during their time at FHS.  Good Luck to CPA in the state semifinals against a very tough Lewis County team.  The Lions are trying to get over the hurdle that has been their stopping point the last two years.

Great summary. 100% agree.

This is a very good post. Usually there is fault on both sides when play gets "chippy". I am sure that both coaches will use that as learning opportunities for their players. Both coaches are highly respected and run excellent programs.

Although one clarification from the poster that used the word "arguably"….. I meant it in a very positive way and did not think it had any negative connotations to it. I am happy to remove the word. Fairview is one of the state's best 3A programs. :) 

Wow the talk that has followed this one was ugly. I can see where everyone comes from in their feelings and therefore will not add to the discussion as far as the "off the field" or "dirty play" stuff was concerned. CPA is a very impressive football team having now seen them in person this year. They have two very efficient quarterbacks who bring totally different playing styles to the field. Thomas Richard may be the state's top receiver. He catches everything thrown his way. I think that Fairview had a solid game plan all the way around. They loaded up and made CPA make some tough throws to beat them. It was evident from the first three series' that the Lions were not going to line up and beat the Jackets by running off-tackle. I thought that a major adjustment on CPA's part came when they moved their normal blocking fullback to tight end and started running quarterback iso to the tight end side. The style of play that the Fairview linemen play definitely gave the CPA offensive linemen fits at times. It's very unconventional and not something that you see on an every week basis. This was a major reason why I stated all of last week that CPA could not view Fairview the same as "East Nashville", "White House-Heritage", "the 12-AA teams", or "the other Metro schools" that they had played until this point. CPA was not lucky to be up 20-0 at halftime as a poster said. They executed when they needed to make plays. At the same time though those 20 points were not as easy as they'd been coming throughout the season. It was a 20-7 game midway through the third quarter. I felt that once the game got "ugly" from this point forward that the rest of stuff that followed left a black eye on what was a solid contest for the majority of the night. Players on both sides did silly stuff that we can often associate with high school athletics. I felt that the officials really did a poor job of managing the game as a whole and they were the primary reason for this. Late hits after the end of plays, cheap shots 30 yards from the ball, coaches screaming and running onto the field, etc. should not over shadow such an important stage. Congrats to the Fairview Yellow Jackets on a tremendous season! 11-2, 8-4, 11-2, and 10-2 = 40-10 for the last 4 years. The poster who said Fairview is arguably one of the state's best in 3A football should remove the word "arguably" from that statement. I would easily call Fairview one of the best five or six football programs in the state in this classification. I think with Zimmerman returning at QB and with the majority of the linemen returning that Fairview will be in the mix once again despite losing the likes of Wall, Jordan, Harvey, Myatt, Shiver, Moore. Those guys won a lot of football games during their time at FHS. Good Luck to CPA in the state semifinals against a very tough Lewis County team. The Lions are trying to get over the hurdle that has been their stopping point the last two years.

Your best post to date!