2013 THSSCA All-State Teams (non-AAA)

95GSoccer

Taken from the Commercial-Appeal (link)

CLASS A-AA

FORWARDS

Abby Cronan, CAK, sophomore; Hannah Henry, CCS, junior; Rachel Clift, Dyersburg, sophomore; Mallory Burman, Clarksville Aca., senior; Erika Suhrbier, Fairview, sophomore

MIDFIELDERS

Molly Dwyer, Catholic, senior; Abby Bower, Catholic, junior; Caroline Conley, CPA, senior; Mackenzie Nedeau, Notre Dame, senior; Amelia Grizzell, JCA, senior; Kate Carney, White House, senior

DEFENDERS

Charlotte Sauter, Catholic, senior; Ashley Hickman, Catholic, junior; Melissa Garvey, CAK, sophomore; Madi Robbins, Notre Dame, junior; Alana Byrd, Liberty, senior

GOALKEEPERS

Maggie Piety , CAK, senior; Kaycee Stovall, TCA, senior

DIVISION 2-AA

FORWARDS

Maycie McKay, BA, junior; Izzy Phillips, GPS, senior; Tally Bishop, Father Ryan, freshman; Kirstin Robertson, Harpeth Hall, senior; Cora Turner, SAA, sophomore; Victoria Wicks, Baylor, senior

MIDFIELDERS

Becca Rolfe, Ensworth, senior; Sissy Frank, SAA, senior; Sarah Bossung, Father Ryan, junior; Emily Moseley, Father Ryan, senior; Alyssa Neuberger, Briarcrest, sophomore

DEFENDERS

Josie Love Roebuck, GPS, senior; Lauren Grace Himes, Harpeth Hall , senior; Sierra Anglin, JPII, senior

GOALKEEPER

Mary Lauren Moss, Father Ryan, senior

DIVISION 2-A

FORWARDS

Whitley Cargile, USN, senior; Madeline East, St. George’s, junior; Kennedy Manning, FRA, junior; Rae Scott, BGA, senior

MIDFIELDERS

Brittany Correia, St. George’s, senior; Rachel Giampapa, USJ, junior; Kaitlyn Rabb, USN, sophomore; Abbey Fleming, USJ, freshman; Catherine Cantu, St. Georges’, senior; Hannah Robinson, Webb, junior; Abbie Kerr, BGA, junior; Madison Perchik, USJ, runior

DEFENDERS

Karina Jensen , St. George’s, sophomore; Korrie Sauder, BGA, junior; Shelby Williams, USJ, junior

Would someone care to provide Booger on exactly how the THSSCA All-State selection process is done from start to finish (how they decide who ends up on the 1st Team List above)? And if knowledgeble; elaborate on the TSWA All-State selection process and how that process might be different different (other than the fact one is coaches and the other is sports writers)....Not sure I have ever been real clear on how it all goes down...

.A great big Booger clap to all those girls on the list :thumb:

From an inside source, the A-AA team used to be selected like this:

An email was sent out to all coaches who are members of THSSCA to ask for nominations for all-state. A list was compiled and then sent back to the coaches to vote on, and there was no set number they choose. If a coach is not a member of the THSSCA, their players are not eligible to be picked.

Now it is done this way:

Win the championship and you get to pick 4 players from your team, runner up gets to pick three of their players. The other 6 teams at the state tournament get to pick one of their players. As the list above shows this accounts for the 4 Catholic players, 3 from CAK, and one each from JCS, Liberty, Fairview, CPA, Notre Dame, and CCS. THSSCA says they have members across the state that watch games throughout the year and submit names of players who do not make it to the state tournament. Out of those names, they select 4 to place on the all-state team. The number can go up if they think there are deserving players but usually settle on four and the coach of the the team has to still be a member of the THSSCA or their players are not eligible.

As for the TSWA team, i have been told it is based on the writers who are supposed to be watching girls soccer games throughout the fall from each of the major newspapers across the state such as the Knoxville NS, Chattanooga Times, The Tennessean, and Jackson Sun just to name a few. I am not sure how many actually go to the games until the region finals and later, but it seems like most of their selection is based off of the scores and stats coaches call in to their desks and not what they actually see on the field.So if a coach does not call in scores and stats to a big newspaper, their players usually get overlooked.

Here are some key points.

1.  Coaches must be members to have a vote or a player eligible for the team.  The THSSCA makes every attempt to increase membership.  

2.  Each division has a different criteria for the selection process.

3.  The organization meets at least 4 times a year to discuss ways of improving the sport of soccer in the     state of Tennessee.  This includes annual meetings with Mark Reeves of the TSSAA

4.  Parents can have an influence through their coach if they have their coach join the organization.

An email was sent out to all coaches who are members of THSSCA to ask for nominations for all-state. A list was compiled and then sent back to the coaches to vote on, and there was no set number they choose. If a coach is not a member of the THSSCA, their players are not eligible to be picked.

Now it is done this way:

Win the championship and you get to pick 4 players from your team, runner up gets to pick three of their players. The other 6 teams at the state tournament get to pick one of their players. As the list above shows this accounts for the 4 Catholic players, 3 from CAK, and one each from JCS, Liberty, Fairview, CPA, Notre Dame, and CCS. THSSCA says they have members across the state that watch games throughout the year and submit names of players who do not make it to the state tournament. Out of those names, they select 4 to place on the all-state team. The number can go up if they think there are deserving players but usually settle on four and the coach of the the team has to still be a member of the THSSCA or their players are not eligible.

As for the TSWA team, i have been told it is based on the writers who are supposed to be watching girls soccer games throughout the fall from each of the major newspapers across the state such as the Knoxville NS, Chattanooga Times, The Tennessean, and Jackson Sun just to name a few. I am not sure how many actually go to the games until the region finals and later, but it seems like most of their selection is based off of the scores and stats coaches call in to their desks and not what they actually see on the field.So if a coach does not call in scores and stats to a big newspaper, their players usually get overlooked.

Thanks for that feedback Ballbasher....ND actually had 2, not 1; but it was possibly for the reason you stated

Now it is done this way:

You may know more than I do, but I was told the coaches who vote in the poll are the ones who actually show up for a meeting, which obviously limits the talent pool. I could be wrong on that. You are correct about the writers I believe, with the additional caveat that they obviously can't/don't see every game, so it really depends on how the player did in the games they do see. These are normally going to be district or other "big" games. And, reputation helps a lot in both cases. It is not a perfect system in either case. Congratulations to the girls who made both. I'll find out when the writers poll is expected and post here.