smith county football

complaintiff51

SC has a fine football program with a great tradition of being successful. They usually are in the hunt for district championships, rarely win less than 9-10 games any given year, and are a constant playoff team. My thoughts are the coaching change is the biggest reason for the smaller rosters. Students may also have a lack of interest in being apart of the program for what ever reason. I know SC coaches expect and demand a lot from their players if they want to be on the team. Not as many kids have the drive and self discipline to do what it takes pretty much year round. Kids are just plain lazy now days, they would rather stay connected online and be able to go out and party.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

SC has a fine football program with a great tradition of being successful. They usually are in the hunt for district championships, rarely win less than 9-10 games any given year, and are a constant playoff team. My thoughts are the coaching change is the biggest reason for the smaller rosters. Students may also have a lack of interest in being apart of the program for what ever reason. I know SC coaches expect and demand a lot from their players if they want to be on the team. Not as many kids have the drive and self discipline to do what it takes pretty much year round. Kids are just plain lazy now days, they would rather stay connected online and be able to go out and party.

Lean years catch up with most all teams. Seems that SC will go thru a couple lean years.

Lean years catch up with most all teams. Seems that SC will go thru a couple lean years.

very much agree all teams go threw it. I think its better when lots of teams are strong in 8aa rather than just one like this year. I would like to see UH to remain were their at in 2013, DC and LA get back like they were in 2012, SC like they were 2001-2003, and YI to be like 09. Let the best teams duke it out,and be stronger come playoff time. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Yeah I agree, it is true that lean years catch up with all teams. A drop from averaging around 90 players for the longest time to about 55 or so is huge though. You can't just chalk that up as being due to a lean year alone. You have to factor in other things such as the coaching change, lack of interest in playing, etc. Don't get me wrong, 55 players is still more than enough in 8aa, but it is still a big difference from 90.

very much agree all teams go threw it. I think its better when lots of teams are strong in 8aa rather than just one like this year. I would like to see UH to remain were their at in 2013, DC and LA get back like they were in 2012, SC like they were 2001-2003, and YI to be like 09. Let the best teams duke it out,and be stronger come playoff time.

Like you said, it would be great to have 4-5 strong 8aa teams yearly. That is unlikely to ever happen regularly though. I would like to see that be the norm, it would be very beneficial for our teams come playoff time. We usually get a few teams in the playoffs, but how often are all of those teams truly strong? Going on recent 8aa history, we rarely ever have more than 2 strong teams in the same year. Last year Upperman was the lone strong team. DC and SC was average at best. District wise in 2012, LA and DC were strong teams and a notch above good SC and York teams. In 2011 we had 3 good teams (SC, DC, LA), they all made the playoffs but SC wasn't really challenged in the district. 2010 was an awful year, it was SC all the way, no other team in the district even had a winning record.The best overall year in 8aa was in 2009. We had a very competitive district that season. 5 teams made the playoffs, those teams being DC, CC, SC, LA, and York. Our district champs that year, CC... was the only team not to make it out of the first round. We need more years like that.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

Yeah I agree, it is true that lean years catch up with all teams. A drop from averaging around 90 players for the longest time to about 55 or so is huge though. You can't just chalk that up as being due to a lean year alone. You have to factor in other things such as the coaching change, lack of interest in playing, etc. Don't get me wrong, 55 players is still more than enough in 8aa, but it is still a big difference from 90.

Granted, a big drop in number of players at SC. We will see if coaching change had anything to do with the drop in numbers, although there would have to be other circumstances involved also.

Granted, a big drop in number of players at SC. We will see if coaching change had anything to do with the drop in numbers, although there would have to be other circumstances involved also.

Well what other reason could it be besides the coaching change or lack of interest in playing? I get lean years come into play but that dont equate to a loss of around 35 players from one year to the next alone. It's not like your student population suddenly dropped a large percentage from 2012 to 2013.

My thing is, 55 is enough for 8aa to be average. TC can do it with 35 kids, but they have loads of athletes most 8aa schools don't have. But in those 35 kids missing, say 3-4 were above average type kids. That's a couple more lineman, couple more backs. Now you got a team to hang with or possibly beat UH. You also definantly beat GH, and get threw the first round over Tyner. Suddenly that 6-5 season turns into a 9-3 season or possibly better.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

55-60 kids in 8aa is more than enough, only 11 players can be on the field at once anyways. 90 players looks good but id bet 20 of those 90 kids would never get any real playing time if they was on the team all 4 years. TC doesn't have loads of athletes that 8aa teams don't have. They have been so good over all the years because of playing together in the same system since they was little kids and it shows at the HS level. They have their offense down to a science. They always have excellent coaching. Their offensive lines have won them the majority of their games.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN