John Overton High School Holiday Tournament

BigPoppa

John Overton High School will be hosting it's 23 annual Holiday Tournament this year. The tournament features both boy's and girl's teams. Here is the boy's bracket. Who do you believe will walk away with the championship?

December 27, 2013

9:00 AM   Stratford vs. John Overton

10:20 AM Stewarts Creek vs. Lighthouse Christian School

1:00 PM  Summit vs. Giles County

3:40 PM  Marshall County vs. Harpeth

6:00 PM  Stratford/Overton winner vs. Stewarts Creek/ Lighthouse winner

9:00 PM  MBA vs. Dunbar High School, Dayton OH

December 28, 2013- Semi- Finals

December 29, 2013- Finals

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

09:00 AM John Overton beats Stratford 65-62

10:20 AM Lighthouse Christian beats Stewarts Creek big

01:00 PM Giles County over Summit in a close one

03:40 PM Marshall County over Harpeth big

06:20 PM Lighthouse Christian big over John Overton

09:00 PM Dayton Dunbar OH beats MBA

Saturday 12/28/2013 Match-ups

09:30 AM Stratford vs Stewarts Creek

12:30 PM John Overton vs Summit

03:30 PM MBA vs Harpeth

06:30 PM Lighthouse Christian vs Giles County

09:30 PM Dayton OH Dunbar vs. Marshall County

09:00 AM John Overton beats Stratford 65-62

10:20 AM Lighthouse Christian beats Stewarts Creek big

01:00 PM Giles County over Summit in a close one

03:40 PM Marshall County over Harpeth big

06:20 PM Lighthouse Christian big over John Overton

09:00 PM Dayton Dunbar OH beats MBA

Saturday 12/28/2013 Match-ups

09:30 AM Stratford vs Stewarts Creek

12:30 PM John Overton vs Summit

03:30 PM MBA vs Harpeth

06:30 PM Lighthouse Christian vs Giles County

09:30 PM Dayton OH Dunbar vs. Marshall County

Dunbar took it to MBA last night 75-60. They got a junior point guard that is only 5'9 but is committed to Ohio State. He is extremely fast and talented. (AJ Harris) ESPN has him as the 3rd best player in Ohio for his class.

They're play style is a lot like Lighthouse. Extremely fast and athletic.

Dunbar beats Lighthouse tomorrow night. That's my prediction. But it will be a really fun game to watch, and a huge recruiting opportunity for Lighthouse's quick guards (the twins) to show what they can do against a D1 commit.  

Here's the Sunday schedule in the 23rd annual JOHS Holiday Tournament

3:30 PM @ Oak Hill School Summit vs Harpeth

6:30 PM @ Oak Hill School Stratford vs Giles County

2:00 PM @ Overton High Overton vs Stewarts Creek

5:00 PM @ Overton High MBA vs Marshall County

8:00 PM @ Overton High Lighthouse Christian School vs Dunbar HS, Dayton OH

Top players in JOHS Holiday Tournament;

Dunbar- Many, but PG one AJ Harris stands above the rest.

Lighthouse- #50 Tripp Davis, #22 Davis, #10 Napier, #15 Napier

Marshall Co- #15 Walker, Sain

MBA- Duncan Smith

Overton- #0 Jonathan Stovall, #1 D'Anthony Wilson

Summit- #23

Giles Co- #24

Stratford- Tyquez Itiat, the 2nd most impressive player in tournament!

Well, I was wrong. I am actually biased towards Lighthouse and so I definitely should not have predicted against them. Dunbar is a GREAT team though (an Ohio basketball powerhouse), and most the people in that gym thought that they would win before tipoff.

Lighthouse won the Cane Ridge Thanksgiving tournament a few weeks ago. Tonight they beat Dayton Dunbar from Ohio to win the Overton Christmas tournament.

That was an INCREDIBLE game that Lighthouse played tonight. In my opinion, anyone who saw that game tonight would probably agree that Lighthouse should at this point be considered a top 5 team in the entire state. Hopefully some of those boys begin to get the offers coming in from colleges here in the near future.

Lighthouse played great tonight! Made shots, played good defense, got a few calls and deserved the win tonight against Dunbar High School from Dayton, Ohio coached by former NIL basketball great and former area coach Peter Pullen 79-73.

I also suspected that the Lighthouse clock would finally strike midnight tonight but they played great. #50 Davis took 5 shots in the first quarter and converted them into 5- 3's and 15 of LCS 17 points. Dunbar never got comfortable with the whistle tonight and could not get into a groove with their pressure defense tonight.

Lighthouse should clearly be listed in the Tennessean's midstate top 10 next week and they deserve it. Lighthouse is not a TSSAA sanctioned school so we will never know how far they could go this year (or next). I do not believe they should see many challenges in their schedule during the second half of the season.

Moral of the story is..... Never play a Chirstian school on Sunday, God shined down on the Lions tonight, great win for the school and they deserved it against a good team!

Finals from today at the final day of the 23rd annual John Overton High School Holiday Tournament;

John Overton 74 Stewarts Creek- 70

MBA 77 Marshall County 57

Harpeth big over Summit

Stratford over Giles County in a physical, exciting, close game

AND....

Lighthouse Christian School, Antioch, TN 79 Dunbar High School, Dayton, OH 73 in the championship game!

The title stays in Middle Tennessee for yet another year.

2013 Champ Lighthouse Christian School over Dunbar HS, Dayton, OH

2012 Champ East Literature Magnet, Nashville TN over John Overton High School

2011 Champ Raleigh-Egypt High School, Memphis, TN over John Overton High School

2010 Champ John Overton High School over Westwood HS, Memphis, TN

2010 Champ John Overton High School over David Lipscomb High School, Nashville, TN

2009 Champ John Overton High School over David Lipscomb High School, Nashville, TN

So how does Lighthouse suddenly become a basketball powerhouse overnight?  Why did they drop out of TSSAA? Sounds a bit odd being on the outside.

It hasn't happened overnight. It has been steadily growing that way for the last 3 years. The team is led by Braxton Napier, Chase Napier, and Tripp Davis who are all exceptionally talented 11th graders. They are such a talented group that they have been starting on varsity since they were 8th Graders. As they have gotten older and better, Lighthouse has scheduled more and more upper-level opponents, because those boys are just that good. Also, they picked up a key player from Ezell Harding this year, Will Smith, who has been a big addition to the team as well.

They left the TSSAA like 10 or 11 years ago and although I was not around at the time, I'v heard that a big part of it was because at that time they were not competitive, they were geting their teeth kicked in by everyone. There has been many discussions in the past few years that they may return to TSSAA, specifically to Div II-AA, but that has not happened yet. I'm holding out hope that it does happen soon, but that's just me.