Tri-County Seven- Week #6

coachh17

There is only one change this week.  Unaka pushes Johnson County back into the #7 spot by beating the Lady Longhorns.  There is uncertainty at Hampton with the suspension of Coach Leon Tolley.  Most of our teams will be in Christmas Tournaments this week.  I hope that everyone travels safely, stays healthy, and has a wonderful Christmas with family and friends!

1. Elizabethton- (AA) (10-1)-  Beat Unicoi County 83-40.  Ten players are making solid contributions.  Can hurt you inside and outside.  Will get some good competition in Dorman, South Carolina Holiday tournament.  Science Hill game will be fun on January 3rd.

2. Cloudland- (A) (11-2)-  Beat Unicoi County by 12.  Playing well heading into the Boone Holiday Tournament.

3. Hampton- (A) (7-4)-  Lost to South Greene and crushed Chuckey-Doak.  Bud Hazelwood is coaching the team pending the outcome of an investigation of Head Coach Leon Tolley by the Carter County Sheriff's Department involving allegations of theft.  I hope the allegations are false and that Coach Tolley will return.  The Lady Dogs will play in the Boone tournament.

4. Unicoi County- (AA) (5-7)-  The Lady Devils lost to Cloudland and were humbled by Elizabethton.  They hold this spot by virtue of an earlier head-to-head win over Happy Valley.  They need a home win Monday against Unaka to get back on track.

5. Happy Valley- (AA) (8-8)-  Beat North and Chattanooga Howard.  Lost to Floyd Co.,VA and South Atlanta, GA in the Bristol Doc Maples Tournament.  This can still be a good team and can make some noise in the Boone tournament.

6. Unaka- (A) (4-9)-  Beat Johnson County by 14.  Travel to Unicoi County Monday for a tough game and then will be in the Boone tournament.

7. Johnson County- (AA) 4-8)-  Lost to South, Unaka, and Cumberland Gap.  This team is scrappy, but they are having trouble finishing close games. At Elizabethton on January 7th for a tough one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen all teams at least a couple of times. Ranking looks good right now. Could change some over remainder of season but it looks like there is a big gap between Elizabethton and # 2 Cloudland. and another gap between Cloudland and the rest of the field. Don't know anything about Hampton situation but LT has always been a class coach and great guy. Hope all gets staightened out soon. Merry Christmas!

I've seen all teams at least a couple of times. Ranking looks good right now. Could change some over remainder of season but it looks like there is a big gap between Elizabethton and # 2 Cloudland. and another gap between Cloudland and the rest of the field. Don't know anything about Hampton situation but LT has always been a class coach and great guy. Hope all gets staightened out soon. Merry Christmas!

I agree with the gap between Eliz and everybody else but I have to disagree about there being a gap between Cloudland and the rest. I actually would rank Hampton and Cloudland as 2a and 2b and it could go in either order. Hampton has played the tougher schedule by virtue of playing Eliz twice and Science Hill. Both Cloudland and Hampton lost to South Greene. I believe Hampton would only have one loss with Cloudland's schedule. Cloudland did win the one tournament they were in but beating up southwest Virginia teams doesn't really tell us anything. Even the good teams over there are not very good as compared to TN teams. Cloudland is good but they would need to do a little more for me to say they are a level up from Hampton. I actually think Hampton matches up really well with Cloudland when they play head to head.

Edited by TylerDurden

I think cloudland is the better team but not by a big gap. I can agree with that. I think Wilson will be the difference maker in a head to head match up. We played horrible against sg and still only lost on a last second shot. While the rankings are accurate, I do agree with you Tyler that the gap between cloudland and Hampton is not very big. There is not much room for error if cloudland wants to go to the glass house. Have a merry Christmas

I agree with the gap between Eliz and everybody else but I have to disagree about there being a gap between Cloudland and the rest. I actually would rank Hampton and Cloudland as 2a and 2b and it could go in either order. Hampton has played the tougher schedule by virtue of playing Eliz twice and Science Hill. Both Cloudland and Hampton lost to South Greene. I believe Hampton would only have one loss with Cloudland's schedule. Cloudland did win the one tournament they were in but beating up southwest Virginia teams doesn't really tell us anything. Even the good teams over there are not very good as compared to TN teams. Cloudland is good but they would need to do a little more for me to say they are a level up from Hampton. I actually think Hampton matches up really well with Cloudland when they play head to head.

What a gutsy, overtime winning performance by the Lady Landers! 

Creek Wood began the second half by extending their press and cashed in on a couple turnovers by Cloudland,  

Matt Birchfield called a quick time out to settle his girls down at this most-crucial point in the game as the Red Hawks appeared poised for a runaway. That time out, and the HUGE three-point play at 4:44 in regulation (Sorry, I didn't take notes; don't recall the number) were two of the biggest plays/calls of the game.

This game was won by the Birchfield-Chambers coaching and their ability to help their players fight the jitters and relax and play better basketball. And by some big baskets by Cloudland's point guard, Clark, that kept things reasonably close.  

The EHS Lady Cyclones dropped a close contest to the host Dorman Lady Cavaliers (Roebuck, SC) tonight 49-55.  The game was tied at the half and close until late in the 4th quarter when Dorman went ahead by 3 and the Lady Cyclones had to foul.  The Lady Cyclones battled the bigger, quicker and more athletic Lady Cavaliers tough, but didn't have enough to pull it out.  This team was bigger and more athletic than Science Hill with the exception of Tarter.  Interesting tidbits from the game - Dorman shot 27 free throws against only 6 for the Lady Cyclones for the game. Dorman was in the bonus early in the fourth quarter while a very agressive Lady Dorman defense was only whistled for 4 fouls in the second half.

Edited by etownsparky