Cheatham County Cubs Basketball

TheBrooklynBrawler

2011-2012:  24-8; 2012-2013:  27-4; 2013-2014:  15-0

Remaining Schedule:  Harpeth, White House, Greenbrier, WH-Heritage, Sycamore (x2)

The Cubs are going for their third consecutive district championship.  They've won a district tourney.  They've won a region tourney.  It would be a remarkable accomplishment if the Cubs were able to get to the State Tournament.  They made it to the substate last year.  Harpeth has made it to the substate as well recently.  Sycamore advanced to the substate for three straight years.  Throughout that whole period of time sports in the county as a whole has seen change across the board.  Good coaches have left and went on to success at new jobs and are better for it.  New coaches have came into the system and are now leaving their stamp on the student-athletes.  I think that it would be great if the Cubs could end this three year run of success with a trip to play on the biggest stage.  

I'm picking them to go to the state, and it may be their time. East is the biggest challenge. If they don't play them in substate, I think those two will make it. It is a very competitive district, but having to play District 10 to get to state has hurt them in the past. CPA leaving increased your odds to go to state. Good luck. 

Barring some district and region surprises, Cheatham will need to beat Pearl and East to avoid drawing CPA in the sectional. I'm still not sold on Pearl but East is usually a tough out come playoff time. 

I'm curious as to the colleges who are looking at or offering Saunders and Darden. They're both excellent high school players - just haven't heard how they're projecting at the next level.

Barring some district and region surprises, Cheatham will need to beat Pearl and East to avoid drawing CPA in the sectional. I'm still not sold on Pearl but East is usually a tough out come playoff time. 

I'm curious as to the colleges who are looking at or offering Saunders and Darden. They're both excellent high school players - just haven't heard how they're projecting at the next level.

I would say that both of those fellas could definitely play at the next level although both are probably looking at either NCAA Div. III or NAIA.  Gotta have decent or okay grades and no off the court issues.  I have no idea how they are doing in those areas.  Saunders could go a little higher if a coach fell in love with him.  BTW, I hope that the Cubs are really looking forward to East or Pearl or Stratford and forget about these little ole guys in the District.  I'm smelling an upset soon.

• Upvote 1

Don't see anybody in 9aa upsetting the Cubs this year. Heritage had the best chance when at home and having a hot shooting second half with Cubs cold and in foul trouble-still resulted in a 15 point road win for Cheatham. Nobody has stayed within double digits and something tells me this mature and experienced team is starting to get things revved up for the postseason. The top teams in 10aa are athletic and tough and will not be an easy out. Bottom line is Cubs have had a great year and if they can finish up the regular season at 21-0 that would be one heck of an accomplishment. In the postseason anything can happen and one bad night can spell the end for anybody-happened to the Cubs against East in substate last year.

As far as Saunders and Darden-both are getting looks and neither has made a decision yet regarding next year. Neither of these guys have had any serious problems off the court and can definitely play. Neither of them is going to win a math contest, but decent grades and test scores as far as I know. Saunders will be a steal for somebody-he doesn't look like much as far as measurable go-until the game starts. When they played CPA in preseason last year he was the best player on the floor and lit them up for about 30 in a win(I know Blackwell & Allsmiller did not play CPAers, but Lindsey and Bonds did). He has also had a lot of success on the aau circuit as well. Darden is a freakish athlete who is having to play out of position this year. He is naturally more of a face the basket player and could definitely play the 3 at the next level even though only 6'4 bc of his length and athleticism. He is as explosive as anybody in the midstate athletically. He and Saunders both seem to play better against better competition and that will serve them well in the postseason this year and at the next level.

Warrior you are right. I know everyone associated with Cheatham wishes Bates hadn't moved to Cookeville. He really started to blossom last year and has been playing great lately for the Cavs. Add a 6'4 guy who can shoot it, handle it, and guard any position to what Cheatham has now and they would be even more formidable.

This is the time of year when it really starts to get fun and the intensity gets cranked up a couple of notches. Who knows how far the Cubs can/will go, but it is going to be fun to find out. Looking forward to seeing some great games!

D3 and walk on options are still available. It's a misfortune that so many good players are overlooked because they don't pass the eye test.

In this day and age with colleges under so much pressure to get good athletes and win, it is rare a player is overlooked, especially if they play a good AAU circuit where there are more scouts. There are also workouts available, camps, and scouts at bigger tournaments, especially the state tourney. If the CC players are legit prospects beyond HS, they can and will usually be found. What is the difference between an "eye test" and displaying talent? All colleges want talent.

I have not seen the CC players, but I understand they are very good. However, keep in mind, what fans think is a college prospect is not always what the colleges think.

Edited by sportsnerd