McMinn Central girls go down again!

Glory

Are they expecting any newcomers from other counties next year?

I don't think you will see any girls coming next year from out of county. As for the locals, I do believe there is at least one promising eighth grader coming in but not sure she'll make an impact next year. Regardless, next years team could be a special one. We will just have to see how it all plays out.

Anyone can make general comments that others are wrong or misleading. If you can't say where I was wrong then it's just your opinion. I back up what I say and you should too. It's not a big deal if one girl quits but when you have three upperclassmen quit after the season starts it is a big deal. Two girls that quit were Juniors and the other one was a Senior. Two of them had started games before they quit. Something is wrong. You heard an excuse from the head coach after they lost to Meigs. He's the misleading one. I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. There could be as many injuries and internal problems as there are this year. I'm a fan of the teams. Disagreeing with the head coach doesn't make me any less of a fan.

To start with, did I ever say it was not a big deal this team has had three players quit? No I did not. Because I agree that it is a huge deal and something to be very concerned about. Secondly, my point about the so called excuse is this. Most if not all coaches give a reason as to why their team lost the game and rarely is it stated that the other team was just better than us. Normally, it's things like " well we just were not ready to play," or "were dealing with some injuries," or "we just got out hustled," or "we're just not in good shape," etc. etc. etc. These are all excuses that are used by every coach in the world. It's just not a practice used by JM. Fact is, MC played without two very good players. Would they have won? No one will ever know. And I congratulate Meigs coming in and doing what they had to do to win the game. And they played far from their best game as well. And counting my chickens before they hatch is funny considering that I stated if things fall into place next year could be a special one. That's a fact! Edited by NukeLaloosh

To start with, did I ever say it was not a big deal this team has had three players quit? No I did not. Because I agree that it is a huge deal and something to be very concerned about. Secondly, my point about the so called excuse is this. Most if not all coaches give a reason as to why their team lost the game and rarely is it stated that the other team was just better than us. Normally, it's things like " well we just were not ready to play," or "were dealing with some injuries," or "we just got out hustled," or "we're just not in good shape," etc. etc. etc. These are all excuses that are used by every coach in the world. It's just not a practice used by JM. Fact is, MC played without two very good players. Would they have won? No one will ever know. And I congratulate Meigs coming in and doing what they had to do to win the game. And they played far from their best game as well. And counting my chickens before they hatch is funny considering that I stated if things fall into place next year could be a special one. That's a fact!

Where did I say that you said it wasn't a big deal that three girls had quit? Does JM ever say he didn't have his team prepared or that he was outcoached? I've heard several coaches say that. I hope next year is a special one for the girls, but I'm skeptical.

Where did I say that you said it wasn't a big deal that three girls had quit? Does JM ever say he didn't have his team prepared or that he was outcoached? I've heard several coaches say that. I hope next year is a special one for the girls, but I'm skeptical.

You may not have. So my mistake. But I am in agreement that it is a huge deal. And you are right, their are coaches who say that. Has JM ever? Probably not. We agree about many things. I wasn't defending an individual. I was simply saying that most coaches use excuses. Your skepticism I would assume is caused by your worries over the coaching situation and not over talent. I again agree. You just don't replace a JY. That would be a tough role for anyone to fill!

You may not have. So my mistake. But I am in agreement that it is a huge deal. And you are right, their are coaches who say that. Has JM ever? Probably not. We agree about many things. I wasn't defending an individual. I was simply saying that most coaches use excuses. Your skepticism I would assume is caused by your worries over the coaching situation and not over talent. I again agree. You just don't replace a JY. That would be a tough role for anyone to fill!

I think the talent was there to go to state this year and I think had Joe Young been assisting we would have gone. We wouldn't have gone far without the Myers girl that is injured or without the Gray girl that recently quit, and who may not have quit had Joe Young been there. JM never accepts any blame although he's been the reason for some of the problems and losses. There are games that are beyond how a coach prepares and coaches from the bench. I don't have a problem when a coach points out the obvious, but I do have a problem when they always blame the team for their own lack of preparation, motivation, and schemes. I think we agree on a lot.

The players on this team as well as the head Coach have had a lot of adjusting to do this season 3 starters graduated off last years team all playing College ball! 6 new players on the roster ALL freshman. A season ending injury early to a key player and one of the more experienced players. 2 more upperclassmen that had key roles leaving the team for different reasons. The loss of one of the best Asst. Coaches around who left to get into College Coaching and new challenges and this was a big adjustment to the players and Head Coach and not to mention 2 new Asst. Coaches with very little coaching experience! Yet thru all of these facts(Not excuses) the team is well over 500 and just finished 1st in the district and have a great chance to win district and region tourney and possibly host a sub-state game. I have not seen a game yet that the players and HC have not given a 100%. With that said and this is just one persons opinion! Take the restraints off let them run press from end to end go deep into the bench using the depth that this team has when healthy and force the other team to play Central style of ball!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The players on this team as well as the head Coach have had a lot of adjusting to do this season 3 starters graduated off last years team all playing College ball! 6 new players on the roster ALL freshman. A season ending injury early to a key player and one of the more experienced players. 2 more upperclassmen that had key roles leaving the team for different reasons. The loss of one of the best Asst. Coaches around who left to get into College Coaching and new challenges and this was a big adjustment to the players and Head Coach and not to mention 2 new Asst. Coaches with very little coaching experience! Yet thru all of these facts(Not excuses) the team is well over 500 and just finished 1st in the district and have a great chance to win district and region tourney and possibly host a sub-state game. I have not seen a game yet that the players and HC have not given a 100%. With that said and this is just one persons opinion! Take the restraints off let them run press from end to end go deep into the bench using the depth that this team has when healthy and force the other team to play Central style of ball!

Morgan had a chance to hire an experienced assistant coach but he didn't even look at any of the resumes seriously because he wanted to hire his daughter. The loss last night to Sequoyah shows you just how much Joe Young is missed. Without Joe, Central can't even make it to substate playing in a district and region which isn't that good. 19-11 record, season over, and didn't even make it to region championship game.

Girls quit the team EVERY year.  There have been sophomores, juniors, and seniors quit every year that I've been associated with the program (7 years.) Playing high school basketball at a high level requires a huge commitment of time and energy. Some girls burn out before their eligibility runs out. I'll not address individual reasons for quitting, but most of the time it has nothing to do with the head coach. And more than half the time, the player who quit regrets it soon after.