DII Mr. Basketball Ballots

CoachT

Clay Hertel of DCA would be one to consider for the D-II A Mr Basketball Award.  Here are some stats and accomplishments:

*Clay Hertel   6'-3"  175lb  G/F for Donelson Christian Academy

2012-13 Junior Season -- All Tournament & All Region Teams

16.0 ppg, 55% on 2 point field goals, 40% on 3 point field goals, 75% freethrows

3 steals, 4 assists and 7 rebounds per game

2013-14 Senior Season (totals to date)

27.3 ppg.  60 % on 2 point field goals, 35% on 3 point field goals, 79 % freethrows

3 steals, 4 assists, 8 rebounds per game

*reached 1000 point club in less than 2 seasons as a starter

*this season so far has 630 points, 185 rebounds, 100 assists, 72 steals

*ranked in the top 30 in the state by unapproved website

*voted All Star at Rick Bolus Blue Chip Camp and ranked

*being recruited by several colleges, decision to be made at end of season

*great kid and teammate that makes everyone around him a better player

thanks for considering Clay Hertel for Mr Basketball 

I would agree with you SB1976 on your top top three choices for nomination.  Not in that order but certainly agree with the list.

BBfan1, thats good information and statistical data.  No doubt he's a solid player.  Will be curious where he decides to play college ball.  

All three would make sense for the nomination but in my opinion Marberry is hands down the better choice for the award.  Just an opinion mind you.

BoyHowdy will remain an AC (anonymous coward). I feel the comfort and security of an anonymous post brings out an honesty not found within the confines of accountability and transparency.

• Upvote 1

Clay Hertel 6’3â€, 175 Lbs.

Donelson Christian Academy

Candidate for Tennessee Mr. Basketball DII Class A

Statistics for 2012-2013- Junior Year- All Region

16.0 PPG

55% 2 point field goals

40% 3 point field goals

75% free throws

3 steals, 4 assists, and 7 rebounds per game

2013-2014- Senior Year (total to date)

27.1 PPG

60% 2 point field goals

35% 3 point field goals

79% free throws

3 steals, 4 assists, and 8 rebounds per game

Clay is ranked in the top 30 players in the state by Andre Whitehead of “Prep Hoops†recruiting site.  He was also selected as an All Star at the Rick Bolus Blue Chips Camp last summer.

Projected career points - 1,300

GPA - 3.1

ACT - 23

fortunately for the rest of D2-A, Skal Labissiere has not played this season. 

The stats from the others mentioned are impressive but Senior guard Reggie Anthony, from Harding Academy, also deserves the award.  He is the glue, the leader, the coach on the floor.  Leads team in ppg, apg, steals, on-and-on-and-on...  Excellent in the class room as he is on the hardwood.  And most importanly, Reggie continues to glorify God on and off the court.

I would like to nominate Clay Hertel for Mr. Basketball. I am the wrestling coach for our school and therefore do not come with tons of stats and figures. You can read those on other posts. We have known Clay and his family since they moved to Nashville. Our boys are very close. I have watched Clay develop over the years in his basketball skills. The numbers speak for themselves. What I have experienced as a coach and youth minister is watching a young man develop in character. I believe this type of honor should go to someone who not only brings the basketball skill to the floor but who demonstrates the character that this award represents. Clay is a humble young man who is concerned about doing what is right and making sure that others around him are better. I'm sure that the other candidates are young men of character as well. I do not know them and cannot speak for them but i do know Clay Hertel. Thank you in advance for considering Clay Hertel for this award.

Yes - DougS, we wish Skal the best in his recovery!  And you are correct - any word on his return?

I have not heard anything.  But then again, I am not in the loop of "need-to-know"  I would guess to say that since he jas not played all season, he probably will not come back this late in the season.  But that is just an outsider guessing.