About the Recent Split......

reftn

In this analogy who is "I suck at my job"? The wrestlers or the coaches? Just curious cause the kids certainly didn't ask for a split.

It makes it a hard topic to broach, I for one never want to appear to put down any wrestlers. I like the fact that Alcoa showed up with a good group of kids, more kids is good for every one. But the problem is the fact they had to lower the standards set by generations of wrestlers that busted their butt to compete with anyone in the state. I don't even lay blame with D2 and the numbers in their brackets, some of our best wrestlers and some of the greatest coaches we've ever known in our state come from that division. I give them a pass because those guys would and will wrestle anyone at anytime. It sad to look down there some years, those kids deserve to compete with every one else. A few coaches pushed really hard for this to happen, the few that have big established programs that stock more wrestlers than a lot of AAA schools. We all know y, Pigeon Forge finished in the top 5 a couple of years ago, Hixson has always had talented wrestlers and the numbers to be near the top. Hixson won Region 4, I think 5 years ago over Soddy Daisy. Don't set there and tell me its to help those programs grow. It will help and I support this for the very small schools or wrestling programs, but these guys lowered the standards at which they wanted to be judged. I think Pigeon Forge over the last 5 years has had some of the top talent in the state, bar none. Hixson has kids up and down their line up that have wrestled their whole sports lives, lets talk about facts instead of trying to make everything a feel good story when we all know its not. Go Alcoa, and Greenback and who ever these new rules help but quite a few schools didn't need it, they just accepted it. I have a ton of respect for the coaches and what they have done with those programs, Garrick has done this in the face of a changing school system in Chattanooga, he is to be commended for the job he has done with his program. I also believe that they can compete with anyone in the state, they should've believed in themselves to stay competing in a division they belonged. Good people run all these programs, and good student athletes I've known their whole lives are involved in something they could have cared less about. I think we may need to all just leave it a dead issue, because now only hurt feelings can come from its discussion.

I was completely opposed to the split. And I was very vocal about it. I was shocked to discover that I seemed to be in the minority. At least among the people that spoke out about it. However, I've opened my mind  (and heart) up a bit and am not ashamed to say I may have been wrong - at least to some degree.

I've personally witnessed a few things over this last year. I won't make this long, but lets just say it is a tremendous boast for local communities. Local communities that need encouragement. Good news. Hope. The split has accomplished that and will continue to do so. More so then I anticipated. Yesterday our Principal was able to stand up and say Red Bank HS had their first State Champ in 5 years. Did he lie? No. Politicians hear that. Businessmen hear that. Parents hear it. Middle school kids hear it. To be honest all they hear is "state champ". Is that bad. No. Does it mean we need to split again? No. 

Like most other controversial topics the truth and answer is somewhere in the middle.

Apparently D A-AA will get a bit smaller next year as D2 gets a bit larger. 

I hope and pray that there is no more 'splitting' until our participation numbers grow from the current 4300 to well over 6000. We need to set a mark and stick to it before the discussion on 'splitting' even comes up again.

You coached their last state champion, and that program over the years had plenty of placers and good wrestlers. Logan, Zach and on an on. Problem is keeping a lot of them on the mat, their in the school.

If the TSSAA Board of Control votes to split again as it has been reported and place all private schools in D2 I see a complete split taking place. It has been reported that the current D2 schools had a meeting a few years ago about forming the Tennessee Private School Athletic Association and they will move forward if all private schools are forced into D2. If a complete split takes place the larger D2 wrestling schools will get even better as they will attend national level tournaments and more than likely end their season at the National Preps. However, the smaller private schools may suffer in all sports due to travel cost.

If the TSSAA Board of Control votes to split again as it has been reported and place all private schools in D2 I see a complete split taking place. It has been reported that the current D2 schools had a meeting a few years ago about forming the Tennessee Private School Athletic Association and they will move forward if all private schools are forced into D2. If a complete split takes place the larger D2 wrestling schools will get even better as they will attend national level tournaments and more than likely end their season at the National Preps. However, the smaller private schools may suffer in all sports due to travel cost.

D2 should have done this years ago, how fun can it be to be compete against the same kids over and over. D2 was made a scape goat for parents exploring the possibility of a better education for their kids. The athletic opportunities and facilities are a bonus. I think it would increase the interest even more in these excellent schools.

More likely they will become more like a club sport and wrestle teams around in the area, never competing for championships.

More likely they will become more like a club sport and wrestle teams around in the area, never competing for championships.

In wrestling they will form a regional qualifier for the National Preps (like Texas & other areas) and take the top 2 or 3 to the preps which is hosted by Lehigh. This would give the Tennessee schools the opportunity to compete against schools like Blair, Malvern Prep, Wyoming Seminary, etc... Schools would have to raise the level of intensity & the commitment level if they want to compete with those schools. The problem is that they would have to wrestle each other if they make the decision not to travel.

Huh? I dont understand your statement? Why wouldnt they compete for championships? They have their own league now and compete whithin it. It would be no different except it wouldnt be under the Tssaa banner. In all actuality Im suprised they havent done it already. Its a no brainer really. If they do you might as well kiss a lot of the good wrestlers goodbye because they will really want to attend those schools more than they do now and the Tssaa wont have any way to stop them. They will be able to travel and go to any tournaments they want to and hols their state tournament in the facility they chose.

Edited by tnlonghorn

It is disappointing that the State tournament for DII is weaker than many tournaments they go to throughout the year.  You generally have great battles in the finals but not a whole lot before that not with standing an upset  here or there.  There is something not right with a tournament where if your opponent has to forfeit due to an injury, skin issues etc before it even starts and. you could lose every match and still get a medal.  Who would want a medal like that.    There is a difficult struggle I see on these boards when it comes to quality vs. quantity and which should come first.  I think there needs to be a balance and that seems to be hard to find. Dii definitely struggles with quantity. Its not fun having to wrestle a guy 4 weeks in a row whether he is any good or not. 

In this analogy who is "I suck at my job"? The wrestlers or the coaches? Just curious cause the kids certainly didn't ask for a split.

I didnt mean to imply the kids suck and should have thought about that. I was just saying we are lowering our standards to apease people. Im sure the kids feel great about themselves that did well in the a/aa tournament and the coaches and parents are proud of them. I just think its going to take many years before we see much of a benefit if at all. Hopefully Im wrong and it helps schools attract kids to the sport. I do think they need to redo the numbers though and out the truly small schools in that division. Hixson and a couple of others  should compete with the big boys. 

I will remain vocal critic of splits in wrestling.  I have never heard of a compelling reason not to have one unified state championship.  As I have stated here often, have multiple divisions of Dual competition.

A-AA will have to resolve itself to little brother status.  Now and forever.  And that might be just fine but it so goes against the grain and spirit of the sport.

An A-AA competitor might defeat and be seen as overwhelmingly the best in the state at his weight, but if it doesn't occur in February, it really doesn't matter.

The statements have already started that "he could beat anyone in AAA."  Sorry.  Even if defeated in December it wont matter if it doesn't happen in February.  I somehow doubt if you will hear anyone say, "well, he could have won A-AA."

I could see A-AA talent moving into AAA zones.

A-AA coaching talent moving into AAA schools.

Why?  Because in our sport you want to compete against the best.  Always.

But a hat tip to A-AA, you have what you desired and supported your division well at the State tournament.  I love the enthusiasm. 

Edited by reftn

In wrestling they will form a regional qualifier for the National Preps (like Texas & other areas) and take the top 2 or 3 to the preps which is hosted by Lehigh. This would give the Tennessee schools the opportunity to compete against schools like Blair, Malvern Prep, Wyoming Seminary, etc... Schools would have to raise the level of intensity & the commitment level if they want to compete with those schools. The problem is that they would have to wrestle each other if they make the decision not to travel.

I mean schools with less commitment to wrestling would either stop offering the sport or allow it to exist as a club sport.

The big wrestling schools will possibly compete on that level.