Small School Wrestlers That Would be Top 3 in Big School

Coffetalk

Mr RefTN,

Maybe you as a man should focus on being what your title says you are, a ref. You best believe the overall opinion of officiating in Tennessee is not high right now. There are a few exceptions, but it really doesn't make me feel good that our refs are so opinionated and are on message boards. Shouldn't you be trying to remove the bias? Anyway, I'll let you call out high school kids, but a real man would focus on himself before calling out some kids who just achieved a dream. Yeah maybe it was lessened, and yes I am a big fan of one division, but complaining about it on this message board isn't gonna do anything. Start a referee group that proposes one division to the TSSAA if you care so much.

Sir Beast, we go where they send us. 

An official cannot have an opinion?  I have seen as many wrestlers, coaches, ADs, and principal's come and go as anyone currently involved in wrestling.  I saw,  wrestled in it and officiated in it when it was 1 Division only, two divisions, now three. Got to see when we had a sub state that was equally a bad idea and it was ended with little fan fair. I saw Dual competition come in and split again (now duck, but my opinion there is it is exactly where divisions should be; in Dual Team championships).

I have coached and seen it from the coaches chair and had the privilege of working with a few kids clubs.

I think I've earned the right to have an opinion, thank you.

You cannot point out to a single post where I am speaking against wrestlers.  My whole point on this thread is don't come on here as an A-AA school and tell us who would have placed in the AAA tournament.   A-AA coaches (I debated this with a few) administrators and so on stated they could not compete in AAA and begged for someone (TSSAA) to "even the playing field.?!" 

(laughing)......

They wanted and got a whole new field because they stated they couldn't compete on the field they were on.

Fine.

You got it. (not you personally, but you universally here and forward)

So stop with the grandiose dream you "could have won AAA."  You couldn't.  It is not possible, because you were never there!

It doesn't matter how many times you beat the AAA 152, or 160 or 113 etc, etc, , if you don't do it the 3rd week in February it was all for naught.

This was NO fault of any kid.  I heard from many coaches at a A-AA regional that their kids were disappointed there weren't competing in the AAA states.  Once again it is, apparently, school administrations that have screwed this up.  Again.

But it is what it is.  Even this thread title "Small School...."Big School".....

A-AA will always be Little Brother.

Edited by reftn

The reason there's so much importance placed on wrestling here is because, go figure, this is a forum where we talk about WRESTLING. Not about education, family, or faith. So, here , we're gonna talk about wrestling.

And I agree with you reftn. You will NEVER hear a AAA state champ say he wishes he was A-AA. There's only 3 maybe 4 kids out of the entire division who could medal in AAA. 4 kids out of 224.

Your last two lines is an argument for the splitting of the divisions.

If you're on a wrestling team that pulls from 500 or so kids to build a team, it is highly unlikely you're going to be fortunate enough to have a wrestling partner that can push you on a daily basis and almost impossible to have another kid in the room close to your size that can push you at all.

So when you get to go live against a guy that has the good fortune to attend a school where having a 3rd string is the norm, you’re typically going to get your #### handed to you because you’ve been practicing daily against Norm the bookworm who’s dad made him come out or Bubba the farm boy that’s trying athletics for the first time in his life. Or better yet, the closest anyone in your room in weight to you is 60 lbs heavier or 25 lbs lighter.

Surely even the most adamant against the split can see the advantage of having multiple partners near your weight. On top of that if you’re fortunate enough to have talented wrestlers near your weight you are definitely going to get better than the kids who can easily pin everyone in his room.

I understand it’s an individual sport and you can get better by hitting clinics and camps and wrestling off-season. However I also understand that iron sharpens iron and if on a daily basis your iron is going against wood when you run into other iron you’re really not as sharp as you need to be.

The above doesn’t even begin to include the advantages of having a superior weight room or any other advantage that can be gained by having more money in your program (such as a high quality coach).

Your last two lines is an argument for the splitting of the divisions.

If you're on a wrestling team that pulls from 500 or so kids to build a team, it is highly unlikely you're going to be fortunate enough to have a wrestling partner that can push you on a daily basis and almost impossible to have another kid in the room close to your size that can push you at all.

So when you get to go live against a guy that has the good fortune to attend a school where having a 3rd string is the norm, you’re typically going to get your #### handed to you because you’ve been practicing daily against Norm the bookworm who’s dad made him come out or Bubba the farm boy that’s trying athletics for the first time in his life. Or better yet, the closest anyone in your room in weight to you is 60 lbs heavier or 25 lbs lighter.

Surely even the most adamant against the split can see the advantage of having multiple partners near your weight. On top of that if you’re fortunate enough to have talented wrestlers near your weight you are definitely going to get better than the kids who can easily pin everyone in his room.

I understand it’s an individual sport and you can get better by hitting clinics and camps and wrestling off-season. However I also understand that iron sharpens iron and if on a daily basis your iron is going against wood when you run into other iron you’re really not as sharp as you need to be.

The above doesn’t even begin to include the advantages of having a superior weight room or any other advantage that can be gained by having more money in your program (such as a high quality coach).

im confused by this post. First, my last two lines are just to simply show how much weaker double is than triple. That was pretty straight forward.

As for the rest of your speech I'm a little lost. There aren't multiple partners near their weight. In a school that only has 500 kids the odds of having a full team of 42 usually just won't happen so I don't see where you're going with that.

Bwm is simply starting the obvious. There's just a few, not more than 15-20 that will place in aaa or d2. The argument here seems to be over one's right to crow about the woulda coulda scenarios, especially if you or those around you pushed for the aa split.

I like 1 smaller school div. in the long run personally, but would prefer splits Only for Duals. As stated, a kid may have to do more than those at larger schools to excell, but it's doable.

Mike, nobody was crowing about anything. Somebody paid a compliment and then Refton went off like he was having a nicotine fit which caused some people to stick up for their kids. Read the first post in the thread that wasn't a parent of one of the wrestlers or one of the wrestlers. Just let it die we have all seen the Dan Gable biography. We all know that Cael is from Utah.

if wishes were hamburgers we would all be fat and happy.  I wish there wasnt a split... But I have followed some kids from both divisions and some for example AA-A Boatman, just like to be fair a AAA Taylor would have likely competed in the finals in either division. 

I personnally recognize talent on the mat and sportsmanship and those two things show up no matter what division a wrestler is in for those of us who know wrestling well.  I would hope that includes the few college coaches who look this way...  In the where who places ledger I think whether you win it all in AAA or AA-A it still should get you a look, reputation is not built only at the last weekend of the year. 

For example look at the AA-A kids who wrestle in season tournaments and you see wrestling without consideration of division and for the most part the cream rises to the top on a regular basis.

Congrats to all you state finalists who finished at the top in each division!