6AAA Softball Cookeville Stone Sparta

softballtheonlygame

Congratulations ryan665!  It was a shot!!!  And could not have come at a better time!

And, the Sparta pitcher has not pitched well for a complete game all season, slows down an awful lot, but, I have to admit she stepped up for the game!  I am proud of all the girls, especially when the pressure comes and they do what they need to do!

Sparta is a much better team with these new coaches.  Looks like they know the game, which is a complete change from the one they had last year.  

I don't think I would pitch to the catcher from Cookeville, not out of fear, but out of respect - she is a beast at the plate!

Hey, hope tonight is a good night of softball, after all, softball is the only game!

We play tomorrow night I hope our girls can pick up the pace we have a good team jus seems like they don't all click at the same time. I am super proud of mine she has had a great season and the sky is the limit.

I kinda hope we get another chance at Sparta again.

Like I said earlier I love the game and love how it makes mine smile.

Only wished she would have got a hit or even a home run in the bottom of 7th(with bases loaded that would have been cool) only needed one run to win but hey win some lose some that's all part of the game

Edited by ryan665

I don't think I would pitch to the catcher from Cookeville, not out of fear, but out of respect - she is a beast at the plate!

Hey, hope tonight is a good night of softball, after all, softball is the only game!

Good stuff softballtheonly game. But it really doesn't matter why you shouldn't pitch to her, fear, respect or whatever. My point is that if anyone in this district is going to beat them then they have to take her offense out of the game and level the playing field. Take away her bat and their team hitting average is probably about the same as everyone else. And batters have to stay disciplined against their pitching by not swinging at balls outside the zone. Both pitchers struggle with accuracy but a good hitting team will be patient with the junk pitcher and tee-off on their fastball pitcher, not to mention the latter gets rattled easy if you hit her early. Just say'n and like you I hope to see some good ball tonight.

Edited by CCHSJETALUM

Well, looks like an upset in tourney! Rhea Co was leading Stone 10-4 when I had to leave - don't know final or if Stone came back.

Cookeville beat Sparta 9-1. So Sparta will play Cumberland Co and Stone (if they didn't come back), will play Warren Co? I believe that's right. Also play on Wednesday and finals on Thursday.

Oh, catcher from Cookeville got her another homer - drilled it to centerfield - was a shot! She was named MVP for regular season.

Rhea Co won over Stone 14-12. So they will play Cookeville on Wednesday in the second game of the night (6:00). (gametimes are: 4:00 & 6:00, and 8:00 for the loser of Cookeville vs. Rhea vs the winner of the 4:00 game). The championship game is slated for 5:00 on Thursday.

I thought last night's games were good games. Cookeville played to their scouting report and is still the favorite to win the district tournament. I would've liked to have seen a more dominating performance from them defensively and from the circle because that's what they're going to need to compete in the next round against the 5AAA runner-up that they'll face in the region.

Not too fast though, I think Rhea Co could give Cookeville their toughest challenge of the tournament if they continue to play the way they have in their first two games (they've plated 28 runs in two games). Rhea Co seems focused so far which is something they weren't (consistently) during the regular season. They are the youngest team in the district and, in my opinion, have the most team speed and athleticism. They hit to average throughout the line-up and aggressively run the base pads. If, key word if, they can stay focused, they'll be able to hit against Cookeville's pitching. Anyone who follows the teams in 6AAA knows that if you put the ball in play against Cookeville's defense they will make some errors and allow some base runners. As agressive and quick as Rhea Co is, this could cause Cookeville some problems and force some errors if they start throwing the ball around the infield. That said, Rhea's defense is good enough, but their pitching is the weak link (they've gave up more hits and runs this year than they've made). Cookeville will have no problem hitting the ball and should score plenty. This game could turn into a high scoring affair, but if Cookeville's defense plays well, and can minimize errors, they should win this game going away.

Congrats to all the girls receiving awards last night. I do look forward to seeing if Rhea remains as agressive on the bases as they have been in their first two games against the district 6AAA regular season MVP behind the plate (Cookeville's catcher). They've been taking chances, big lead-offs and have had success with some risky steals on the base pads in the tournament thus far without much challenge. Well, they'll definitely be challenged tomorrow night against one of the best softball arms in the state behind the plate for Cookeville.

Again, I'm hoping for some good games tonight. I know at least a couple of the teams playing tonight are suffering from some typical late season drama brought on by a long season. Nothing will break up a team and get them eliminated quicker than bad attitudes and devisive players and parents. This time of year, the teams that advance are those that are focused and playing together (as players, coaches, parents, and fans). This is another reason I think Cookeville went unblemished in the regular season and continues to do well, they appear to be well coached, the coaches, players, and parents seem to get along and they all exhibit good sportsmanship. Oh, and by far they have the best fan support of any team in district 6AAA. Never overlook how important these things are, especially with girls.

That's my 5 cents for today. See y'all tonight.

Edited by CCHSJETALUM

Not too fast though, I think Rhea Co could give Cookeville their toughest challenge of the tournament if they continue to play the way they have in their first two games (they've plated 28 runs in two games). Rhea Co seems focused so far which is something they weren't (consistently) during the regular season. They are the youngest team in the district and, in my opinion, have the most team speed and athleticism. They hit to average throughout the line-up and aggressively run the base pads. If, key word if, they can stay focused, they'll be able to hit against Cookeville's pitching. Anyone who follows the teams in 6AAA knows that if you put the ball in play against Cookeville's defense they will make some errors and allow some base runners. As agressive and quick as Rhea Co is, this could cause Cookeville some problems and force some errors if they start throwing the ball around the infield.

Wow! No crystal ball here, just been around this game too long maybe? Anyway, what a great night of softball last night in district 6AAA. The night started with a close 4-3 win by Warren Co over White Co, then proceeded to the second game where Rhea Co gave Cookeville more than they wanted and almost pulled the biggest upset of the tournament.

They did exactly what I thought they might do, they put the ball in play forcing errors that allowed their base runners to get on, then they were off to the races, their aggressive base running put Cookeville on its heels and kept their heads spinning all night. Rhea's batters blasted Cookeville's fastball pitcher and kept the infield off balance with a good mix of power and small ball. Rhea's defense played good enough to win and held the district MVP (Cookeville's all star catcher) to a lone infield pop-up, and didn't give her anything else close to the plate, walking her the rest of the night.

Cookeville made a pitching change in the 5th with the score tied at 5 (that may turn out to be their best coaching move of the tournament). Cookeville's #2 kept Rhea hitters off balance with her off speed stuff that had Rhea batters swatting at flies and fouling their spark plugs the rest of the game. She didn't allow any more runs and allowed only two base runners before she herself came up to bat in the bottom of the 7th. With one out and a runner on third, she blasted a walk off double that hit the fence in left field allowing the runner on third to tag and score for the 6-5 win, earning Cookeville's berth in the Region 3 AAA playoffs.

Cookeville's batters struggled all night against Rhea's pitcher, her off-speed stuff had them popping up and dinking balls all over the infield, with an occasional fly ball to Rhea's outstanding center fielder, resulting in easy plays for Rhea's D with their speed and athleticism. Cookeville's D played solid but made too many errors. Their gunslinger pitcher didn't seem to have her usual pop and accuracy last night. Cookeville has a few things to fix if they hope to advance in the Region 3 AAA playoffs.

On to game 3: Rhea remained focused and kept their heads up, they turned it around in game 3 beating Warren Co 10-0, earning District 6AAA's second Region 3 AAA playoff berth. They did it by just doing what they've done throughout the tournament, playing good D, putting the ball in play, getting runners on, and running like banshees on the bases.

Congrats to Warren and White Co. Y'all came to play and it showed. Both teams have a great bunch of players, coaches, parents and fans. I'm not sure what the local teams had on their minds, but we all know it wasn't softball. But I will congratulate the team from my alma mater for an excellent job running the concession stand.

The Championship game is tonight at 5:00. Rhea will have to beat Cookeville twice to earn the #1 seed going into the playoffs. That's highly unlikely, but that's why they play the game. That's my 3 cents for today, hope we have a big crowd to send both these teams off to represent us in the Region 3AAA playoffs, see y'all tonight.

Edited by CCHSJETALUM