6AAA Softball Cookeville Stone Sparta

softballtheonlygame

I can assure you that the TSSAA was fine with continuing the game tonight provided that the hosting school deemed the field conditions were safe and suitable for play and both schools concurred on continuing the game where it left off.

The TSSAA was told by the host school that field had not improved and could not be made safe and playable by tonight, and that continuing the game with poor field conditions would risk The field being ready for the sectional game scheduled on Friday.

As with all TSSAA softball games, games can be considered complete after 5 innings when anything happens beyond that point that could cause injury or adversely affect the play of the game.

That said, Soddy ultimately made the call on whether to continue or not based on their assessment and judgement of their field conditions that they reported to the TSSAA.

Just the facts, not questioning anyone's integrity. It's just that some of the media reports are misleading and making it sound like the TSSAA just called Soddy and declared it a complete game without consulting with anyone on the possibility of continuing or about the field conditions and the prospect of improving them.

Bottom line, from what I was also told today, these two teams looked to be evenly matched. I know Cookeville players and fans would've liked for this game to have been played to conclusion and the winner decided by a complete game on the field rather than a called complete game on the telephone. I suspect a few Soddy fans do too, and that most of them don't prefer winning this way vs. winning on the field.

Like someone else said, we'll never know how this particular game would've played out. All anyone can do is speculate. However, we can all hope that both of these teams advance on Friday so they can meet again next week in the Boro. Then we can all enjoy a competitive game between two good teams.

I can assure you that the TSSAA was fine with continuing the game tonight provided that the hosting school deemed the field conditions were safe and suitable for play and both schools concurred on continuing the game where it left off.

The TSSAA was told by the host school that field had not improved and could not be made safe and playable by tonight, and that continuing the game with poor field conditions would risk The field being ready for the sectional game scheduled on Friday.

As with all TSSAA softball games, games can be considered complete after 5 innings when anything happens beyond that point that could cause injury or adversely affect the play of the game.

That said, Soddy ultimately made the call on whether to continue or not based on their assessment and judgement of their field conditions that they reported to the TSSAA.

Just the facts, not questioning anyone's integrity. It's just that some of the media reports are misleading and making it sound like the TSSAA just called Soddy and declared it a complete game without consulting with anyone on the possibility of continuing or about the field conditions and the prospect of improving them.

Bottom line, from what I was also told today, these two teams looked to be evenly matched. I know Cookeville players and fans would've liked for this game to have been played to conclusion and the winner decided by a complete game on the field rather than a called complete game on the telephone. I suspect a few Soddy fans do too, and that most of them don't prefer winning this way vs. winning on the field.

Like someone else said, we'll never know how this particular game would've played out. All anyone can do is speculate. However, we can all hope that both of these teams advance on Friday so they can meet again next week in the Boro. Then we can all enjoy a competitive game between two good teams.

You must be on drugs!!!!!!!  The TSSAA called the SDHS AD before 9AM and informed him that the game was complete.  Those are the facts!!  We've heard all the stories about how Clifford ruled the TSSAA and the umps.  Now you are saying that Wes is doing the same thing.  Quit your crying.

You must be on drugs!!!!!!! The TSSAA called the SDHS AD before 9AM and informed him that the game was complete. Those are the facts!! We've heard all the stories about how Clifford ruled the TSSAA and the umps. Now you are saying that Wes is doing the same thing. Quit your crying.

No drugs, no crying. If my post came off as crying then maybe you're on drugs. And don't tell me what the TSSAA did or didn't do or did or didn't say when all you know is what you read in a local paper or heard on your local channel. And I know your coach don't run the TSSAA and neither did Cliff, never said they did. I have the utmost respect for them both and the tradition of Soddy softball, to include "most" of their fans. You can choose to believe what you want to, or not. It really doesn't matter to me, I was just trying to clarify what some media reported. Besides, anyone who knows anything about how games get cancelled, re-scheduled, etc knows that's exactly how it works. I never once implied that the field was not as was reported this morning. Take a chill pill!

"The TSSAA was told by the host school that field had not improved and could not be made safe and playable by tonight, and that continuing the game with poor field conditions would risk The field being ready for the sectional game scheduled on Friday."

How do YOU know this???????????  That is a blatant lie!!

"That said, Soddy ultimately made the call on whether to continue or not based on their assessment and judgement of their field conditions that they reported to the TSSAA."

More lies!!!!!  The media didn't report any of that!!!!!!!  The fact is that YOU made it up.  The fact is the umpire assigner here in Chattanooga called Wes at 8:17 this morning and told him that the game was complete. 

From what is sounds like, the game must have been called a complete game according to the rule book.

This is from the NFHS baseball rule book. I officiate baseball only and don't have access to a softball rule book but this is likely similar if not the same. 

Rule 2 Section 2

Article 3

ï‚· A game ended by the umpire due to weather or darkness is a regulation game, if five full innings have been played, or if the home team has scored an equal or greater number of runs in four or four and part of its fifth turn at bat than the visiting team

ï‚· A game ended by the umpire due to weather or darkness is a regulation game, if play has bond beyond five full innings

ï‚· A game ended before the teams have had a equal number of completed turns at bat shall have the score at the end of the last completed inning

o except if the home team ties or goes ahead of the visiting team in its half of the incomplete inning

Article 4

ï‚· A state association may adopt game-ending procedures that determine how games are ended, including suspended games. However, if a state does not adopt game ending procedures, by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the UIC, any remaining play may be shortened or the game terminated. If a state association has adopted game-ending procedures, only those game-ending procedures may be used, should the opposing coaches wish to terminate a game.

You're correct about the phone call, but the phone call was made not to tell Soddy the game was complete, it was made to determine if they were going to be able to complete it. The field was worse this morning than it was last night. A decision was made at that time, after consulting on the phone about the field.

Look, I don't know who you are, you're probably a good person, a parent, a fan, etc... but the TSSAA is not a wing of the Obama administration that calls and dictates to schools. No one disputes that a game can officially be called complete after 5 innings. If this were a regular season game and the schedule permitted and both schools agreed to continue at a later agreed to date the TSSAA (if the umpires on the field did not officially call the game complete with concurrence from both coaches) wouldn't even get involved.

The TSSAA don't have enough people to physically check the condition of every HS softball field in this state. The field and it's condition is entrusted to the host school. And no we don't have little sensors on each field that let us know if it's good to play or not. A question was asked about the field conditions, an answer was given. That said, the only option was to call it complete because this is not the regular season, there is no chance to continue at a later date, and sectional games are scheduled for tomorrow. And yes, playing a game on that field tonight, after all that rain would've made a mess for tomorrow night.

The game should've been called complete by the umpires on the field after 5, but the coaches agreed to continue, just like they agreed to suspend last night and continue the game today weather and field conditions permitting. And it only makes sense to call the school that owns the field to find out if the game could be played, especially when scheduling umpires.

Not sure what your problem is accepting the way TSSAA is involved in this process. Who do you think the TSSAA should've called to inquire about the field conditions so they would know to schedule umps or not? Or do you think the TSSAA should start dictating to schools which games to re-schedule or continue? This game was called due to the field conditions at Soddy that were reported this morning, and since there is no other time to continue it, the only option was to use the after 5 rule that should've been used last night. You can bet some folks got a talking to today for allowing it to continue as long as it did.

There, take or leave it, I'm a softball fan and been in the business for 30 plus years coaching and calling, been boo'd, cussed, heckled, and called every name in the book by folks that just jump to conclusions without knowing the rules or the process and call someone a liar without knowing anything about what they're arguing about. Good night and good luck to your team, it's about those kids, not parents, coaches, or even umpires.

You're correct about the phone call, but the phone call was made not to tell Soddy the game was complete, it was made to determine if they were going to be able to complete it. The field was worse this morning than it was last night. A decision was made at that time, after consulting on the phone about the field.

Look, I don't know who you are, you're probably a good person, a parent, a fan, etc... but the TSSAA is not a wing of the Obama administration that calls and dictates to schools. No one disputes that a game can officially be called complete after 5 innings. If this were a regular season game and the schedule permitted and both schools agreed to continue at a later agreed to date the TSSAA (if the umpires on the field did not officially call the game complete with concurrence from both coaches) wouldn't even get involved.

The TSSAA don't have enough people to physically check the condition of every HS softball field in this state. The field and it's condition is entrusted to the host school. And no we don't have little sensors on each field that let us know if it's good to play or not. A question was asked about the field conditions, an answer was given. That said, the only option was to call it complete because this is not the regular season, there is no chance to continue at a later date, and sectional games are scheduled for tomorrow. And yes, playing a game on that field tonight, after all that rain would've made a mess for tomorrow night.

The game should've been called complete by the umpires on the field after 5, but the coaches agreed to continue, just like they agreed to suspend last night and continue the game today weather and field conditions permitting. And it only makes sense to call the school that owns the field to find out if the game could be played, especially when scheduling umpires.

Not sure what your problem is accepting the way TSSAA is involved in this process. Who do you think the TSSAA should've called to inquire about the field conditions so they would know to schedule umps or not? Or do you think the TSSAA should start dictating to schools which games to re-schedule or continue? This game was called due to the field conditions at Soddy that were reported this morning, and since there is no other time to continue it, the only option was to use the after 5 rule that should've been used last night. You can bet some folks got a talking to today for allowing it to continue as long as it did.

There, take or leave it, I'm a softball fan and been in the business for 30 plus years coaching and calling, been boo'd, cussed, heckled, and called every name in the book by folks that just jump to conclusions without knowing the rules or the process and call someone a liar without knowing anything about what they're arguing about. Good night and good luck to your team, it's about those kids, not parents, coaches, or even umpires.

Thanks for your input.  This seems to set the record straight.