Week 4: CAK at Scott County

BigDave1967

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott's run game is better this year than last year. They don't throw the ball much unless its a swing route or hitch. Scott lost some talent last year but they haven't missed a beat. I think they are running the offense and defense smoother this year. They seem to be more under controle and not so scrappy. Although improvements have been made, CAK is a different animal. I say it will be a closer game than last year. We've never beat CAK before but optimism seems to grow more and more every year. I like where this program is headed.

Keep believing that CAK is not as good as last year...

So far, I don't think we are as good this year, but there is good potential for improvement as the season goes along.  If you look only at this point last season vs. this season, we were 1-3 last year and 2-2 this year.  However, the difference is because this year Powell was so awful and last year Powell was quite good and probably would have been a 5A playoff team had they not lost their QB (and we still almost beat them with our second best QB playing) .

This year's team is not, at least yet, in my humble opinion, playing as well as last year's team after 12 took over at QB (which was from the Belfry game on). We are definitely better at certain positions, such as an overall stronger WR corps, QB has more game experience now, OLB/Rovers are playing considerably better than last year.

However, against the better teams we have faced thus far, Catholic and Webb, our opponents controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.  The OL and DL will both need to continue to improve for this team to be successful.

Also, thus far, CAK's coaching staff seems to have been experimenting with an unbelievable variety of personnel, combinations and rotations in the secondary.  I don't know anybody in the stands who could tell you who the "starting" secondary is for CAK this year.  I'm sure it's a function of the process of getting some experience for young guys you'll need to count on down the road and also trying to keep playmakers fresh for offense.  But it seems like, at some point, they will have to settle on a set group of guys and get them the game reps they need to be ready when the super-tough challenges against Belfry and Alcoa come up.

Finally, 16 is a heck of a football player, and if he's going to play D, I'd rather see him play LB rather than S so he can make some of his bone-jarring tackles at the line of scrimmage instead of 7-8 yards downfield.  He's bigger than anybody we have at LB now.

Go Warriors!