East TN 5A Regions for 2015 & 2016

ErikG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that Middle Tennessee will get the 4 regions, probably including Rhea County in a plateau league. But also possible would be to combine the Chattanooga area with the south-central area (Franklin County, Lincoln County, and possibly Columbia). Bottom line, I'm going to have to map this.

I would agree that Middle TN will get 4 regions, and disagree that Rhea Co. would get placed into Middle TN only for (as someone else mentioned) "time zone" purposes. Typically, if you look at the history of region alignment, this has been the case that Middle TN gets more regions.  Back in the old 5A days (1993-2000) East TN was divided into 3 regions for almost all classes, thus was the case for class 5A itself. While Middle TN had 3 regions and West 2.  After realignment, (2001-2008) East TN was still divided into 3 regions primarily, but class 5A itself was divided into TWO regions (from Soddy-Daisy to Tri-Cities).  Middle TN had 4 regions and West still 2.

There could be the chance that TSSAA splits East TN into 4 regions and Middle TN into 3, but I would assume that the TSSAA would eliminate as many opportunities that teams would have to travel during the regular season (assuming the TSSAA is smart...).  The 25 Middle TN teams are spread out more so than the East TN teams, and for the most part the East TN 5A teams are located just off the interstates I-75, I-40, and I-81.  So my point being, why make White Co, Henry Co, Franklin Co, Lincoln Co, or any of the other outlying Middle TN teams play two additional regions games if you can eliminate their travel for region play?  Having the Middle TN teams placed into 4 regions and the East TN teams placed into 3 regions makes the most sense to me but what do I know...

From what I have heard, it sounds like most people think that the first proposal, the one with Farragut in the Chattanooga district, is most likely to be the one that happens. While the traveling we will have to do won't be ideal, I think that we will compete to win that region every year. It will be a lot like the region Farragut had before the split into 6 classes. While I know none of this is set in stone, and with the TSSAA is in charge who knows what will ultimately happen.