officiating

Indian

The officials are doing the best job that they can, the issue is that they are under paid by a state governing body (T$$AA) and most officials just aren't willing to give up family and job time to go make a few extra bucks.

In 7A and 7AA there will be lots of district games with only 2 officials. There are a few reasons for the numbers of officials to be "down" this year but mostly its because the TSSAA won't shell out extra $ and give officials a raise.So guys have made the decision not to work. Coaches are having to work around the officiating staffs availabilty and move game dates/times in order to get 3 person crews.

Till we raise the pay and get some of the veteran officials to come back, our officiating will struggle.

first, TSSAA sets the pay scale but the schools actually pays the officials. TSSAA is out no money for the officials. If pay is based on merit, who decides the actual pay?  Right now it would be the school;  that opens up a whole 55-gallon drum of issues.  

Double header = $90 = about 3 hours.  $30 an hour is pretty good pay. blah blah blah, about taking out for gas and other stuff.   The reason for officials being down is the pay they get to put up with the terrible fans, coaches and players. nearly every fan in the stands thinks they know the rules and can do a better job.  And only wants infractions called in favor of their team.  Very very rarely have i heard a fan yell at an official for missing a call that was not in favor of their team.  Every coach only complains when the call doesnt go their way.  And Player B or Player G gets an attitude when they foul, walk, or think they were touched.

How about let's teach our kids respect and manners toward the officials.  But we cant do that because our coach is constantly complaining and the parents are sitting in the stands coming just short of verbal harrassment.  I imagine it would go a long way toward the schmucks in stripes if the players played, the coaches coached and the fans cheered for their team instead of trying to multi-task and be an official at the same time.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first, TSSAA sets the pay scale but the schools actually pays the officials. TSSAA is out no money for the officials. If pay is based on merit, who decides the actual pay?  Right now it would be the school;  that opens up a whole 55-gallon drum of issues.  

Double header = $90 = about 3 hours.  $30 an hour is pretty good pay. blah blah blah, about taking out for gas and other stuff.   The reason for officials being down is the pay they get to put up with the terrible fans, coaches and players. nearly every fan in the stands thinks they know the rules and can do a better job.  And only wants infractions called in favor of their team.  Very very rarely have i heard a fan yell at an official for missing a call that was not in favor of their team.  Every coach only complains when the call doesnt go their way.  And Player B or Player G gets an attitude when they foul, walk, or think they were touched.

How about let's teach our kids respect and manners toward the officials.  But we cant do that because our coach is constantly complaining and the parents are sitting in the stands coming just short of verbal harrassment.  I imagine it would go a long way toward the schmucks in stripes if the players played, the coaches coached and the fans cheered for their team instead of trying to multi-task and be an official at the same time.

Every team has some number of fans that complain about every call that goes against their team. However, there are fans that understand the game and that can discern the difference between good officials and bad. I do not expect officials to be perfect! I do expect them to be competent and give effort. I can think of nothing that ticks me more than an official with a cocky attitude like they have never missed a call ever and loafs up and down the court like they have better things to do. Regardless of the pay and verbal abuse from fans, coaches and players; if you took the job, give effort and do the job!!! The fans likely don't know the names of the best officials because they are relatively transparent. That is all...

• 2 weeks later...

Refs at the Rhea Co tournament pre-Christmas were not bad. There were very few calls or no calls I remember, as it should be. One team had 10 fouls a minute or two into the second quarter, and earned them. Instead of ignoring them because they were hacking every shot nearly, the refs kept calling it until they changed that style a tad.

Edited by Indian

Watching games in SC for three straight years makes one appreciate the officials we have in TN.  I know some are better than others, but the crews in SC are just not very good.  Our team has played in the Dorman tournament in Spartanburg the past 2 years and are now playing in the Carolina Invitational in Charleston this year.  I was told the "top" officials in the state officiated the Dorman tournament.  If that is the case, I would hate to see the bottom of the barrel. I watched two crews call games tonight in Charleston.  Both were weak overall. Each crew had one decent official and two that I would characterize as weak.  I realize it's a holiday tournament which is more of a "showcase", but failing to call the simplest violations is not acceptable.  Allowing the teams to play more aggressively is understandable, but the foul calling was ridiculously inconsistent. At times the games resembled Rugby matches instead of basketball games.

Thought officials here were bad then went to Flordia for Christmas tournament. Trust me our officials are better. I can't believe some of the things that went on down there during games including officials verbally assaulting coaches. It was horrible. This was in the Panama City beach area. Stay away from this area if you want to watch a good game.

Edited by gwh

• 2 weeks later...