Poll: Half of Americans Don't Want Their Sons Playing Football

blazer1set

Read the book I posted it will educate you and anyone else that wants to take the time, this whole thing is about money , read the book and you will see the research done by the top Nero guys in the land, yes there is issues but no where near the issues that the local HS trainers are making it out to be, seems funny to me when I played in the 80s the sport was way more violent and it seemed to be less injuries back then, my thinking is our attitudes toward hard work, commitment and excuses as allowed for allot of people to make allot of money off of scaring people who are clueless except for what they were told from the people who want the $$$$$.

agree, behind big pushes to change things there is always an agenda.

RedD - I'll take a look at the book but when reading Mr. Flynn's bio, he obviously has his own agenda.

I'm not saying neurosurgeons are wrong, but you can find experts to say anything to fit what you want.

Your right but that goes both ways.

some more research if you want to take the time

Look at the Mueller and Colgate report "Annual Surveys for football 1931-2012

Dejan Kovacevic "Not so super on global stage" http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic

Fredrick O. Mueller and Robert C.Cantu " football fatalities and catastrophic injuries, 1931-2008

David R. Weir National football player care research.

read those articles do the research and you can make your own conclusion, I for one don't read one book and make my opinion I look at allot of info and there are parties on both sides that have their facts, maybe because I played I look at it different but I truly feel football builds things in young men that no other sports does and there is allot that has improved but scaring parents and kids away from the sport is not accomplishing anything.

great post, please do read the book its very interesting, I also played the sport in HS and two years in college before injury cut it short, I can say still today the aches and pains that I feel from time to time makes me wonder if it was worth it but, I can say without a doubt I would play again and I would have stay in better shape. Take a look at the link I have below, its actually on a different subject but it shows how the NFL goes to great links to make us believe what we see and not what we know, anyway the sport will see big changes and it won't look anything like it does today.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/21753982/2013-combine-timing-instruments-to-remain-status-quo

Most of my family still lives in Ohio, and many of my cousins started playing football at a very young age, but they were required to play flag football until they reached a certain age. In the suburbs of Columbus, tackle football has been nearly eliminated for kids under the age of 9 or 10 (I'm not exactly sure what the age limit is now).

Red what is the name of the biggest youth football program in the country that implemented flag only? 

Pop Warner done a test study in two of their regions to see how it would work I was told by someone very close to the situation that they are expanding that to be in four regions, I didn't tell the whole story there and let me clarify, they as well offered tackle for the age groups but had to combine two teams in that particular league to have a team, there is a lot more details about it, I will try to find the report and link it on here, I just kind of high lighted it and will have to take some of the info out due to legal reasons.

Easy to explain. NFLers are trained athletes who are more inline to take shots and have years of coaching on how to hit and be hit. High school kids lead with their heads a lot of times. Also, in high school you could have a 5'8 140 lb 15 y/o sophomore trying to tackle a 6'2 225 lb 18 year old senior. There is a huge difference in the body of a 14/15 year old and a 18 y/o.

doesn't pass the smell(bs) test. 5'10 190 lb corners takling 260 lb Richardson running a 4.4? The average qb in the NFL is 6'3.5 255. Most HS qb's are more 5'11 165'ish, specially at the team(level) I mentioned above. No 225 lb running backs in those practices. Lots of this is over cautioness and a agenda. Like labeling toys 10 and up and then adding a Do Not Swallow. No sh#*. Its the sissyfing of this country that's happening.

Most of my family still lives in Ohio, and many of my cousins started playing football at a very young age, but they were required to play flag football until they reached a certain age. In the suburbs of Columbus, tackle football has been nearly eliminated for kids under the age of 9 or 10 (I'm not exactly sure what the age limit is now).

my assumption is they play in a pop warner league, that is one of the states that the test flag leagues has been implemented.

Talk to ex players. Blaine Bishop and Frank Wycheck, both all pros, have stated several times on their radio shows that they would not let their sons play football. Frank Wycheck, and he will tell you this, is suffering from "scrambled eggs" he received playing football.

Edited by RonMexico3

Talk to ex players. Blaine Bishop and Frank Wycheck, both all pros, have stated several times on their radio shows that they would not let their sons play football. Frank Wycheck, and he will tell you this, is suffering from "scrambled eggs" he received playing football.

Listen allot of ex players have spent everything they had, another words they are going to jump on that band wagon as the litigation over this issue is huge not to mention these guys are now nobody's in consideration of where they once were, so staying in the spot light and piling on that $800 million stock pile one can rest assured allot of these guys are going to have scrambled eggs, funny thing was you never heard them complaining when they had it all, don't get me wrong but the agenda of why these guys have their issues is as much about money as it is anything. if a person as a full fledge concussion they would have trouble performing at the level that some of these guys claim, they say they had head injuries but kept on playing in games, well every person that I have seen get a concussion can't hardly perform at a high level.

Edited by RedD

I played Peewee 2 years, JH 2 years,HS 4 years and 5 years counting my redshirt.13 years at LB/FB. I have no more head aches than my cousins who never played. I think its more case by case. But not letting a kid play ball because he might have a .0001% to be good enough to make the NFL and have a 13 year carreer like Frank Wycheck that "might" lead to "something" is being way to overly causious.

I played Peewee 2 years, JH 2 years,HS 4 years and 5 years counting my redshirt.13 years at LB/FB. I have no more head aches than my cousins who never played. I think its more case by case. But not letting a kid play ball because he might have a .0001% to be good enough to make the NFL and have a 13 year carreer like Frank Wycheck that "might" lead to "something" is being way to overly causious.

Case by case basis is exactly right. However, that shouldn't whitewash the fact that this is still an issue to consider.

Listen allot of ex players have spent everything they had, another words they are going to jump on that band wagon as the litigation over this issue is huge not to mention these guys are now nobody's in consideration of where they once were, so staying in the spot light and piling on that $800 million stock pile one can rest assured allot of these guys are going to have scrambled eggs, funny thing was you never heard them complaining when they had it all, don't get me wrong but the agenda of why these guys have their issues is as much about money as it is anything. if a person as a full fledge concussion they would have trouble performing at the level that some of these guys claim, they say they had head injuries but kept on playing in games, well every person that I have seen get a concussion can't hardly perform at a high level.

Let's put the NFL litigation aside. Given the average NFL salary, those guys were at least financially compensated (too much or too little?) to put their bodies at risk, IMO. Now they are seeking additional compensation, thanks to the bandwagon you are speaking of. To pretend like they didn't know what they were getting into is a tad ignorant on their part. The only sympathy I have for those guys are the ones who got their brains beaten in during practice and only make the league minimum.

I have a lot more sympathy for those high school/college players that have issues later in life because of these collisions. At least college athletes get a free college education out of it (whether they take it seriously or not is up to them).

Obviously not every person who has played football at some point in their life is going to go through this. But that shouldn't whitewash the fact that this is still an issue.

Edited by osunut2

Its not being cautious, its making sure they prove their point for their piece of the $800 million, no bigger statement then not allowing your son play to prove your point, I will post a report about the study that was done on the 400 plus plaintiff's in this case over 80% of the guys that have jumped on board are broke, 80% some of the players that are on the list played very short period of time in NFL but are set to get around 200k a year for life, again look at the facts, I have posted some reference materials, I can list a bunch more, there is 3xs as much material on the based facts and not speculation like the recent OSU player that committed suicide, that's sad but how can anyone relate it to concussions why, because it fits an agenda.