New TN/KY HS Top 40 - Mid Jan. Edition

Alijah

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL the guy that does this poll could not win no matter where he moved Elizabethton.  If he moved them up people would have griped he did it over peer pressure.  If he moved them down or left the same he gets the same ole gripes.  It is his opinion.  Polls really mean nothing.

I understand there is a certain amount of opinion in polls. I didn't expect the poll outcome to change because of peer pressure. In my opinion for a poll to be legitimate, i. e. not just a "fan poll", there needs to be metrics by which the rankings are determined. In this case the criteria seems to be cloudy or skewed. For instance, Male (KY) moved up 3 spots even though the poll owner questions the strength of opponents. Likewise, there were teams in front of EHS that had "bad losses" by the pollster's description, but remain ahead of EHS. Furthermore, there were teams with losses that jumped over EHS even though the Lady Cyclones continue to win (1 has 4 losses). Apparently, the the pollster has decided the size of school, geographic location, and perceived "weak" schedule has created an artificial ceiling at #12 for EHS. However, if the Lady Cyclones were to lose a game you can be sure they would drop like a rock in this poll. The pollster has a right to do what he wants. That doesn't mean I have to understand or agree with it. It's all good though...you know what they say about opinions, everyone has one!

I understand there is a certain amount of opinion in polls. I didn't expect the poll outcome to change because of peer pressure. In my opinion for a poll to be legitimate, i. e. not just a "fan poll", there needs to be metrics by which the rankings are determined. In this case the criteria seems to be cloudy or skewed. For instance, Male (KY) moved up 3 spots even though the poll owner questions the strength of opponents. Likewise, there were teams in front of EHS that had "bad losses" by the pollster's description, but remain ahead of EHS. Furthermore, there were teams with losses that jumped over EHS even though the Lady Cyclones continue to win (1 has 4 losses). Apparently, the the pollster has decided the size of school, geographic location, and perceived "weak" schedule has created an artificial ceiling at #12 for EHS. However, if the Lady Cyclones were to lose a game you can be sure they would drop like a rock in this poll. The pollster has a right to do what he wants. That doesn't mean I have to understand or agree with it. It's all good though...you know what they say about opinions, everyone has one!

Use it for bulletin board material.  Keep beating the teams on the schedule.  Gold Ball out-weighs any poll.

Again, I really like Elizabethton ALOT! The KY schools that we are discussing here - 

Male - no higher level competition....good teams but not teams in our top 40.  They have a few of those teams near the end of their schedule.  

Manual - have won 4 games in a row against teams that either are in the poll or have been this year.  They deserve to be were they are without question.

Mt. Juliet - Haven't lost in 2015, winning the LandAir tournament, and playing a very tough schedule. 

Elizabethton - If this were a double AA state poll, they would be #1 by a landslide.  They are extremely good.  They just don;t have wins against other big name schools for us to compare them to these other teams.  Most of these teams have played each other/have mutual opponnents.  You guys don't.  You are one of the top teams in TN regardless of class....that says alot for a AA school.  Outside of Elizabethton I don't think many people disagree with me here....and infact many would argue I have a AA team too high that you guys would lose games in AAA, especially in a place like Murfreesboro.  

Polls are what they are. They all have their flaws. I for one think that the USA today poll having Ridgeway at #4 in the nation is laughable. I am not sure they are even the 4th best team in TN.

As for Elizabethton, they play top tier teams few and far between. But they have played two teams in the MP national top 200, and have smoked them both. By 20 and 26 points

That is a great point crazy and polls are polls you can never have a true national champion in high school they will never play that tourney.  That is a true  opinion poll.  The only true national championship is in college basketball or as close as you can get to one.  The best that all high schools can hope for is to win there state classification championship and that is plenty enough.  

Again, I really like Elizabethton ALOT! The KY schools that we are discussing here - 

Male - no higher level competition....good teams but not teams in our top 40.  They have a few of those teams near the end of their schedule.  

Manual - have won 4 games in a row against teams that either are in the poll or have been this year.  They deserve to be were they are without question.

Mt. Juliet - Haven't lost in 2015, winning the LandAir tournament, and playing a very tough schedule. 

Elizabethton - If this were a double AA state poll, they would be #1 by a landslide.  They are extremely good.  They just don;t have wins against other big name schools for us to compare them to these other teams.  Most of these teams have played each other/have mutual opponnents.  You guys don't.  You are one of the top teams in TN regardless of class....that says alot for a AA school.  Outside of Elizabethton I don't think many people disagree with me here....and infact many would argue I have a AA team too high that you guys would lose games in AAA, especially in a place like Murfreesboro.  

I'm not familiar with Manual so I can't definitively say one way or another.  Mt. Juliet is a good team with some good wins, but I would question your characterization they have played a "very tough schedule".  They have some good wins but they have also had their share of cupcakes.

No one said that Elizabethton would not lose games in AAA, especially in Murfreesboro.  However, I absolutely believe EHS would win their share of those games.  I certainly agree that outside of Elizabethton not many folks from Murfreesboro disagree with you.  I don't know about the rest of the state.  Regardless, the poll is good fodder for discussion and debate.  Similarly, the AP polls are just good for debate.  Ultimately, the games and championships will be decided on the court (at least at the state level).