A real state tournament

ccleveland

Cody, I applaud you as well for taking the initiative to do this. I'm assuming you will forward it to the TSSAA. If it's ignored, I'd recommend to send it to the Governor's office. I telephoned them last year and DID receive a call back. The person I spoke with was flabbergasted about the situation but he suggested to meet with Mark Reeves. Obviously Mr. Reeves has his own ideas about the situation.

I got some good advice today to try and contact Mr. Van Der Merwe, the AD at Austin Peay. He is a huge wrestling supporter (wrestling background) and apparently has approached Mr. Reeves about hosting. It's been rumored they would host it for free. However, it's also been rumored that because it will only hold 8 mats, it won't be moved there. 

The FACT is the tournament CAN be done on 8 mats. Same start and finish times, double elimination and keeping 32 man AAA bracket. So to say it can't be done on 8 mats is simply not being truthful. If Mr. Merwe does contact me back, I will attempt (with the help of a whole lot of other people) to put together some type of proposal. I'll need help.

Cody, I applaud you as well for taking the initiative to do this. I'm assuming you will forward it to the TSSAA. If it's ignored, I'd recommend to send it to the Governor's office. I telephoned them last year and DID receive a call back. The person I spoke with was flabbergasted about the situation but he suggested to meet with Mark Reeves. Obviously Mr. Reeves has his own ideas about the situation.

I got some good advice today to try and contact Mr. Van Der Merwe, the AD at Austin Peay. He is a huge wrestling supporter (wrestling background) and apparently has approached Mr. Reeves about hosting. It's been rumored they would host it for free. However, it's also been rumored that because it will only hold 8 mats, it won't be moved there. 

The FACT is the tournament CAN be done on 8 mats. Same start and finish times, double elimination and keeping 32 man AAA bracket. So to say it can't be done on 8 mats is simply not being truthful. If Mr. Merwe does contact me back, I will attempt (with the help of a whole lot of other people) to put together some type of proposal. I'll need help.

Russianbear,

Please let me know how I can help in any way possible. I always wanted to run a tournament at Austin Peay and initiated the contact with Mr Van Der Merwe that brought the AAU Top 100 Tournament there in December. Mr. Reeves did make an appearance at that event. Specifics on how to make it work on 8 mats is something we are lacking.

PS:  When we say that kids weren't able to compete at the State tournament because of "skin diseases"  you need to look at McCallie, CBHS, Overton, WC, etc, etc.  regional sites)  Most of the ones that Ben oulined were from Chattanooga, so my guess is that those kids are getting it in Chattanooga at their regional tournament and affecting the rest of the state.  I know the 160#  stae champ broke out with severe Hereps 1 day after the state tournament.  As most of us know, it takes 5 - 10 days to inquebate.  It must have come from Chattanooga based on the theory that you all are giving.

There were "NO" kids....I repaeat "NO" kids that did not get to wrestle in the State tournament because they caught a skin infecton during THE STATE tournament.  They came from somewhere else at least 5 days before.  This really makes our wrestling community look illiterate.

The 160# state champ was from Murfreesboro ? How did he catch it in Chattanooga?

Move it to Memphis? While the venue may be awesome I highly doubt you would get the support needed to make it an exciting atmosphere. Make no mistake about it, the number one reason everyone wants it moved is because its not exciting and the kids deserve more. Everyone quotes unsanitary conditions and no showers because they feel that will get it moved quicker but the number 1 reason I hear over and over is it just doesn't seem like a state tournament. That's no knock against the people who donate their time and do an excellent job of running the tournament. its just a fact. The Tssaa's inability to listen or make common sense decisions is baffling to me. Someone stated they haven't heard one kid complain about the state being held there. That's odd because every single kid I have talked to that went to the tournament at Utc has complained that they wish they could have wrestled there instead.

I applaud all the volunteers efforts and even the Tssaa's efforts this year to a certain extent but the bottom line is the tournament just isn't exciting there and not fan friendly from a viewing standpoint. The move to put all four mats in the center was awful. The majority of the seating is in the bowl area of the far right arena. With the girls being added at the same time ( to give the impression there are more people there for the finals) there was limited seating in front of the mats to actually see our wrestlers. There was virtually no seating on the other side of the arena beside the mats so you had 4 groups fighting over the one good side you could actually see from. Then to top it off they put the scorers tables and clocks right in the way of the one area of seating you could see from. Could they not have moved the tables and clocks to the side of the mats or moved them back so people could see over them? I know it was suggested on here multiple times prior to the tournament and I know of one parent who went down there and brought it up before the finals but nothing was done about it. If it cant be ran in a manner that is exciting for the kids and parents/fans then something needs to be done. We have one of the worst state tournaments in the country on all aspects. The tournament can be ran on 8 mats easily in a more exciting venue. Move the girls somewhere else if you have to or back to another time slot. Other sports don't have to play the girls and guys at the same time right next to each other. It was all an attempt to make the finals seem more crowded and all it did was take up the few good seats available.     

But see here's the thing, the TSSAA doesnt care about any of this. They dont care if its an exciting expierence for the fans and wrestlers or not. They dont care if kids are getting skin infections or if the kids wrestle on cow dung or not. They dont care. They only care about one thing. $$$$ The fact that the Ag Center doesnt charge them and the cost of them moving the tourney again, having to start all over again. They wont move it. They dont care what any of us think, they just care about money in their pockets.

That link should be sent to the staff of the

TSSAA along with the board of control and the executive board. Why not just copy the state senators, congressmen and governor. I am sure that every television station and newspaper in Tennessee would like to have a copy. The only way to get anything done with the TSSAA is to throw the fools under the bus and then back over them a few times.

This is what one get's when they have a group of educators trying to run a multi million dollar business with zero training.

Edited by cbg

The 160# state champ was from Murfreesboro ? How did he catch it in Chattanooga?

Move it to Memphis? While the venue may be awesome I highly doubt you would get the support needed to make it an exciting atmosphere. Make no mistake about it, the number one reason everyone wants it moved is because its not exciting and the kids deserve more. Everyone quotes unsanitary conditions and no showers because they feel that will get it moved quicker but the number 1 reason I hear over and over is it just doesn't seem like a state tournament. That's no knock against the people who donate their time and do an excellent job of running the tournament. its just a fact. The Tssaa's inability to listen or make common sense decisions is baffling to me. Someone stated they haven't heard one kid complain about the state being held there. That's odd because every single kid I have talked to that went to the tournament at Utc has complained that they wish they could have wrestled there instead.

I applaud all the volunteers efforts and even the Tssaa's efforts this year to a certain extent but the bottom line is the tournament just isn't exciting there and not fan friendly from a viewing standpoint. The move to put all four mats in the center was awful. The majority of the seating is in the bowl area of the far right arena. With the girls being added at the same time ( to give the impression there are more people there for the finals) there was limited seating in front of the mats to actually see our wrestlers. There was virtually no seating on the other side of the arena beside the mats so you had 4 groups fighting over the one good side you could actually see from. Then to top it off they put the scorers tables and clocks right in the way of the one area of seating you could see from. Could they not have moved the tables and clocks to the side of the mats or moved them back so people could see over them? I know it was suggested on here multiple times prior to the tournament and I know of one parent who went down there and brought it up before the finals but nothing was done about it. If it cant be ran in a manner that is exciting for the kids and parents/fans then something needs to be done. We have one of the worst state tournaments in the country on all aspects. The tournament can be ran on 8 mats easily in a more exciting venue. Move the girls somewhere else if you have to or back to another time slot. Other sports don't have to play the girls and guys at the same time right next to each other. It was all an attempt to make the finals seem more crowded and all it did was take up the few good seats available.

I was talking about the 160# from last year . Patrick Dooley, one of the Simpson nephews.  If his Herpes had shown up one day earlier....he would have never won a state Championship.

Non the less.....if most people will remember before it moved from McKenzie; everyone was pissed about the rigidness of the tournament and the "food Nazis". Champion Wrestlers are usually  creatures of habit and have a routine that is important to them after weigh-ins. 

Money forced everyone to break thoughs habits by ethier eating out of a concession stand....not good before a match,  or leave the premises. PS: Money did not go to TSSAA from concedssion stand. 

At the AG center, I actually saw one team that had a microwave, lots of friut and cooolers full of fluids and food for their wrestlers and fans.  It was almost like a "tailgate" but with nutrional food and beverages.....oh and the AG center even paid for the electricity to run the microwave. 

Sounds like we need to pick our battles.  Reality is, Chattanooga is the least likely facility to be hosting a state tournament.Less then 15 %  of the wrestlers competing come from a 100 mile radius of Chattanooga .  70 % + come from 100 mile radius of middle TN.

My solution:   Go to district format where ALL teams particpate. If  I'm a small school, that may be my goal....to win the district. Top four wrestlers go to Regionals (4 regions) .   Regional boundaries would be decided around (numbers participating in wrestling).  Top Four in Regionals would qualify for the state tournament with a 16 man bracket.  Could be done easily in two days on 4 mats.

Of course, we would only have 14 state champs instead of 52 and not every kid would get a medal.  Also the 3 and 4 time state champs would disapper.

I was talking about the 160# from last year . Patrick Dooley, one of the Simpson nephews.  If his Herpes had shown up one day earlier....he would have never won a state Championship.

Non the less.....if most people will remember before it moved from McKenzie; everyone was pissed about the rigidness of the tournament and the "food Nazis". Champion Wrestlers are usually  creatures of habit and have a routine that is important to them after weigh-ins. 

Money forced everyone to break thoughs habits by ethier eating out of a concession stand....not good before a match,  or leave the premises. PS: Money did not go to TSSAA from concedssion stand. 

At the AG center, I actually saw one team that had a microwave, lots of friut and cooolers full of fluids and food for their wrestlers and fans.  It was almost like a "tailgate" but with nutrional food and beverages.....oh and the AG center even paid for the electricity to run the microwave. 

Sounds like we need to pick our battles.  Reality is, Chattanooga is the least likely facility to be hosting a state tournament.Less then 15 %  of the wrestlers competing come from a 100 mile radius of Chattanooga .  70 % + come from 100 mile radius of middle TN.

My solution:   Go to district format where ALL teams particpate. If  I'm a small school, that may be my goal....to win the district. Top four wrestlers go to Regionals (4 regions) .   Regional boundaries would be decided around (numbers participating in wrestling).  Top Four in Regionals would qualify for the state tournament with a 16 man bracket.  Could be done easily in two days on 4 mats.

Of course, we would only have 14 state champs instead of 52 and not every kid would get a medal.  Also the 3 and 4 time state champs would disapper.

I am scratching my head on your math? I do like your ideas on narrowing the champions down but we all know that's not going to happen. We are about to have more champions in the coming years. Once the privates are all forced into d II they will form a large and small division. 

The majority of the wrestling population comes from Chattanooga, Nashville and Knoxville. Its the same distance to Chattanooga from Nashville as it is from Chattanooga to Nashville. Its 70 miles closer  for Knoxville to come to Chattanooga than it is to drive to Franklin. so Chattanooga is bay far more centrally located for the majority of the wrestling fans. If its in Chattanooga Memphis has to drive further but if its in Nashville Upper east Tn has to drive further so it evens out between the two. If your figures were correct on the wrestling population being that large in Nashville then Nashville should be extremely ashamed that there aren't more fans at the tournament. Its astonishing to me that an area with 70% of the wrestling population cant bring more fans than it does. Even with more wrestlers and a girls division being added its not half what was at Mckenzie arena no matter what the Tssaa says. That being said, I don't care if its in Nashville or Chattanooga or Knoxville. It needs to be in a better venue.