Knox County schools State Tournament elimination rumors.

EBTHER

I have been following the soap opera that is Knox County schools. I can say that after KCS administration decided they would not allow their teams to play during the district tournament, pride convinced them to stick by their guns... to the fault of their own student athletes AND every student athlete NOT in their schools. Even though district 4-AAA played their games at Maryville, KCS sabotaged the tournament and three other school districts were not able to play championship and consolation games. Bearden and Farragut are fortunate the district did not force them to forfeit. I am sure all the players and coaches wanted to play. Ask any Knoxville high school basketball coach that has been around a few years and they will tell you that they have played games when schools were closed before. There is a difference between a regular season game and tournament games. No one honestly deserves to be more upset than the William Blount girls team, who were denied a chance at a 3 seed in the district tournament, and tonight were 1 of only 4 teams in Tennessee (Weather prevented Knox South Doyle from traveling all the way to Science Hill tonight, but that game should have been played Monday. Way to go KCS.) to be denied a chance to play a region quarterfinal game because Knox Halls couldn't make it to their own gym. Never mind that Maryville played 10 minutes down the road from Halls tonight at Powell High School. Maybe Halls thinks they can force someone to advance them to the next round since they are a one seed. News flash, even though William Blount is a 4 seed, I would pick them in an upset. District 4-AAA has swept district 3-AAA in the region tourney for the last four years. I think if Halls doesn't play Friday, that region should grant WB a win by forfeit.

And one more thing... KCS can quit talking about student safety. I know for a fact that these Knox county teams have been in the gym practicing while school has been out. If they can get there to practice, they can play the games.

Politics and public appearances have been more important than the student athlete. 

Edited by coachingisteaching

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic