Thoughts on Mitchell/UC

Galilee

I can now talk about Union City. Once the brackets were released, the coaches told the team not to mention UC until we knew we had to play them. We were pretty sure it would happen. He only allowed the boys to watch the first half only on Friday.

Let me start by saying The UC fans are very passionate and I enjoyed speaking with them.

Now on to the game. Let me start with the coaches. For weeks it was stated over and over how Coach Phillips would get out coached. Well he put on a coaching clinic. It all started with his film study.  Friday night during our usual pre-game film study, he broke down every player perfectly.  He told the boys that they had to focus on Deberry and Simpson, they were the key.

Deberry- Told Martin to engage him from baseline to baseline. Make him use a lot of energy bringing the ball up court. His handles were very shaky and he is good at stopping and pulling up with the 3.  He is the most dangerous player on the team. Because he can shoot and he has length.  He also noticed that he does not like playing defense.  Make him work on that end of the floor and it will affect his scoring.. Does not take the ball to the hole at all.

Simpson- He scared us the most with his ability to draw fouls and make FT’s. He is the most unselfish player we saw on the team. Does the small things to win games

Stockdale- Good player with a great motor. We knew the only way he would get a lot of buckets were on put backs. Told Hunt that he always would go to his left to score. If he went right do not fall for it, he is coming back left. We watched Thu and Fri game and he used that move 80% of the time.

Stewart- Will not guard anybody.  Very lazy in help defense. We watched him 4 or 5 times let someone get a layup off the dribble because he would not step over and help. Whenever he was on the side Marin was on coach made sure we attacked that side.

We knew Sisco was not a scoring option.

Number 4, 5, and 30 only played when they wanted to press.

The starters played a lot of minutes and we knew our bench was deeper. In the first 2 games the bench on had a total of 2 points.

When the game started coach smiled when they opened with a box on JM. He knew Simpson, whom we feared would use a lot of energy chasing JM.

Now coach Sisco made a good move going to the zone in the 2nd qtr and it allowed UC to get back into the game. But once again Coach Phillips adjusted and put JM at the FT lined and went to work.

Like I said earlier Phillips put on a clinic.

IF UC had played a tougher schedule they would have been better prepared. WE knew that if we could contain 6 top 100 players we face 2 McDonald AA, and 3 Jordan classic players, we could handle anything they brought.

One last thing I really sensed some discord on UC team. It looked like Stockdale had some issues with, Deberry, Simpson, and Parker. I am not saying it is true it just looked that way by his body language when he did not get the ball.

UC had a great season and have nothing to be ashamed of. Many top teams around the country had problems with our defense.

Cope you asked me in a thread in December after the Cordova game about UC team. I told you then how much you all missed the PG from last year. He was the reason you all played so well at Mitchell. WE had a hard time turning him over.

I can now talk about Union City. Once the brackets were released, the coaches told the team not to mention UC until we knew we had to play them. We were pretty sure it would happen. He only allowed the boys to watch the first half only on Friday.

Let me start by saying The UC fans are very passionate and I enjoyed speaking with them.

Now on to the game. Let me start with the coaches. For weeks it was stated over and over how Coach Phillips would get out coached. Well he put on a coaching clinic. It all started with his film study. Friday night during our usual pre-game film study, he broke down every player perfectly. He told the boys that they had to focus on Deberry and Simpson, they were the key.

Deberry- Told Martin to engage him from baseline to baseline. Make him use a lot of energy bringing the ball up court. His handles were very shaky and he is good at stopping and pulling up with the 3. He is the most dangerous player on the team. Because he can shoot and he has length. He also noticed that he does not like playing defense. Make him work on that end of the floor and it will affect his scoring.. Does not take the ball to the hole at all.

Simpson- He scared us the most with his ability to draw fouls and make FT’s. He is the most unselfish player we saw on the team. Does the small things to win games

Stockdale- Good player with a great motor. We knew the only way he would get a lot of buckets were on put backs. Told Hunt that he always would go to his left to score. If he went right do not fall for it, he is coming back left. We watched Thu and Fri game and he used that move 80% of the time.

Stewart- Will not guard anybody. Very lazy in help defense. We watched him 4 or 5 times let someone get a layup off the dribble because he would not step over and help. Whenever he was on the side Marin was on coach made sure we attacked that side.

The starters played a lot of minutes and we knew our bench was deeper. In the first 2 games the bench on had a total of 2 points.

When the game started coach smiled when they opened with a box on JM. He knew Simpson, whom we feared would use a lot of energy chasing JM.

Now coach Sisco made a good move going to the zone in the 2nd qtr and it allowed UC to get back into the game. But once again Coach Phillips adjusted and put JM at the FT lined and went to work.

IF UC had played a tougher schedule they would have been better prepared. WE knew that if we could contain 6 top 100 players we face 2 McDonald AA, and 3 Jordan classic players, we could handle anything they brought.

One last thing I really sensed some discord on UC team. It looked like Stockdale had some issues with, Deberry, Simpson, and Parker. I am not saying it is true it just looked that way by his body language when he did not get the ball.

UC had a great season and have nothing to be ashamed of. Many top teams around the country had problems with our defense.

Cope you asked me in a thread in December after the Cordova game about UC team. I told you then how much you all missed the PG from last year. He was the reason you all played so well at Mitchell. WE had a hard time turning him over.

great observation. That pretty much sums it up. I saw pretty much the same thing.

Thanks Tomcat and same to you. This time last year I felt like you feel now. The first one is special. Many people were saying what a good game it would be between Mit/HC. Man we must really love basketball to stand in a hotel parking lot Sat. moring in the rain to discuss it....LOL

I really enjoyed you all.

Now on to the game. Let me start with the coaches. For weeks it was stated over and over how Coach Phillips would get out coached. Well he put on a coaching clinic. It all started with his film study. Friday night during our usual pre-game film study, he broke down every player perfectly. He told the boys that they had to focus on Deberry and Simpson, they were the key.

Deberry- Told Martin to engage him from baseline to baseline. Make him use a lot of energy bringing the ball up court. His handles were very shaky and he is good at stopping and pulling up with the 3. He is the most dangerous player on the team. Because he can shoot and he has length. He also noticed that he does not like playing defense. Make him work on that end of the floor and it will affect his scoring.. Does not take the ball to the hole at all.

Stewart- Will not guard anybody. Very lazy in help defense. We watched him 4 or 5 times let someone get a layup off the dribble because he would not step over and help. Whenever he was on the side Marin was on coach made sure we attacked that side.

Galilee, I will never say you don't know your basketball! That is a perfect observation. I most certainly won't ever say you can't dance!!!! Haha. I've said all along Phillips is a top notch coach. Putting Martin at the FT line against that zone was brilliant. They had no answer. Congrats once again!