Revolution of offenses today

fooseball96

Oregon never has the hogs to pack it in and run people over, but they still see the necessity of running the football, so they do whatever it takes to do it. Teams that don't run the ball some way never have a chance to win big time football.

Except the biggest level of football. In the last 5 years the team with the worst defense and worst rushing attack both won superbowls in different years. Look at the top 5 passing teams in the NFL every year and see if that changes your thoughts.

Except the biggest level of football. In the last 5 years the team with the worst defense and worst rushing attack both won superbowls in different years. Look at the top 5 passing teams in the NFL every year and see if that changes your thoughts.

I may be misunderstanding you but I don't think the ravens, seahawks, and giants had the worst defense and worse rushing attack

I may be misunderstanding you but I don't think the ravens, seahawks, and giants had the worst defense and worse rushing attack

Giants Packers and Saints all we're either worst rushing or defensive teams in the league when they won the superbowl. Who was the best passing offense in the final 4 of FBS football last year?

Fulton runs the multiple offense set... Our main formation is the pro I formation with a TE we have a wing t formation we go to a split back formation a jumbo goalline formation a wildcat formation and a spread formation... All offenses can be effective with the right personnel and play calling... Within all of those formations they have variations that can make them more effective passing or running the ball... I like the way the game has evolved personally...

Now if we're talking NFL, then I would agree.  Obviously the Seahawks and Ravens could run the ball, the Saints and the Patriots couldn't all that well.  What's the common denominator?  They all have great QB's.  The NFL is a QB driven league, period.  Now with that said, they all did run the ball.  What I was referring to was guys earlier on was when foose kind of referred to the "spread" as all pass and no run, kind of like Texas Tech or Washington State in college.  None of those Super Bowl winning teams are 90/10 pass to run ratio.  They still see the importance of at least keeping a run threat.  Mike Leach's teams, although pretty fun to watch, will always have a hard time winning big time games.  That's more what I was referring to.

I'm more of old school offensive guy. (Veer, wing-t, option, smashmouth etc.) But today it seems that more coaches have shyed away from that style. It seems that most systems now days run a spread. I guess it does better prepare the players somewhat for the next level. But my question is.....why have people went away from old school football. I hate going to games and seeing a 1st and 10 and teams come out in a shotgun. Any body else feel this way? What do u guys think? To me it seems offense have gotten more fancy yet more confusing. Just get in the end zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The long answer is that it died out at the college level and has trickled down to HS, where fans and players want what they see on TV and coaches want to pretend they're Gus Malzahn.  The long version gets a little more complicated.

In the 80s and 90s, everyone was playing 2 backs with a TE.  Defenses adapted with 8 man fronts (like the 46 Bear) and things like Virginia Tech's "Robber Coverage" that let the safety play like a 9th man in the box.  It got very hard to just pack guys in and run the ball against all that.

Meanwhile, some less talented teams started having success against these dominant defenses by spreading the field with 4 WRs and running zone reads (which was invented as the QB just reading a DE for a bootleg).  Those coaches, like Urban Meyer, Rich Rodriguez, etc. got snatched up by big time programs and really set the world on fire, so everyone started copying them.  Defenses weren't ready for that kind of speed and didn't have answers for how to cover that many guys but also play good run defense on running QBs.  A revolution was born.

So the hype of the spread made it to HS and teams found that your simple high school 8 man front defenses who sat in old school Cover 3 got shredded just like the college defenses did.  A lot of these teams really got lucky that they were doing the new, different thing that defenses either hadn't seen before, or only saw once or twice a year and had a hard time simulating in practice or preparing for it.

Now you've got a lot of younger coaches who grew up in those systems or are coming down from the college level thinking that's just how it has to be done now.  Spread has become the new normal.  It's what everybody does.  It's just what these coaches know and believe in, plus fans and administrators want the HS to run the stuff that they see on TV on Saturday.  I'm on a bunch of coaches forums and you wouldn't believe how many young coaches post on there nowadays asking really basic questions like how to teach an under center snap or how to defend the old school I formation offense because they've never done it as a player or a coach!  Seriously!   :rolleyes:

The thing is that defenses have adapted, too.  Zone read isn't shredding people at the HS or college level like it did 10 years ago when Pat White, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow were running wild on everybody.  Defenses changed from basing out of 7 and 8 man fronts to basing out of 6 and just bringing extra guys into the box when the offense ads players.  They figured out how to play the zone read and how to mess with it--the play works just like the veer still works, but it's not some huge mystery anymore.

What I think you're going to see is a little bit of a swing back towards the old smashmouth offenses, or spread teams becoming more smashmouth with what they do.  Defenses adapted to the spread by basing out of 6 man fronts instead of 7-8 DL and LBs.  The new guys they put in were hybrids SS/OLB types, but those hybrids don't usually hold up too well when they have to take on big TE or FB smacking them in the mouth all night long.

The game is kind of slowly going back to the old 2 back style, but from the shotgun with read elements in there.  If you look at Auburn, that's pretty much what they do now.  There's a TON of Wing-T and Veer influence in that offense.  I think over the next 5 years, you'll see HS go back to that.  You'll also see a bunch of what coaches call "RPOs" (Run Pass Options), which are borderline illegal plays where the QB reads the defense to either give the ball on a running play or throw a pass downfield (while the linemen run block it).  That's going to be big in the next few years unless they crack down on illegal men downfield.

Right, I like the i-formation too. I was just giving examples. And I agree about the spread offenses lol. I've seen teams come out in a shotgun inside the 3 yd line. Its crazy

<cough>SeattleSeahawks<cough>

A lot of teams literally don't have the under center snap in their playbook.  Lots of young coaches, young centers, and young QBs don't know how to do it so they don't want to take the time to teach it.

The long answer is that it died out at the college level and has trickled down to HS, where fans and players want what they see on TV and coaches want to pretend they're Gus Malzahn. The long version gets a little more complicated.

In the 80s and 90s, everyone was playing 2 backs with a TE. Defenses adapted with 8 man fronts (like the 46 Bear) and things like Virginia Tech's "Robber Coverage" that let the safety play like a 9th man in the box. It got very hard to just pack guys in and run the ball against all that.

Meanwhile, some less talented teams started having success against these dominant defenses by spreading the field with 4 WRs and running zone reads (which was invented as the QB just reading a DE for a bootleg). Those coaches, like Urban Meyer, Rich Rodriguez, etc. got snatched up by big time programs and really set the world on fire, so everyone started copying them. Defenses weren't ready for that kind of speed and didn't have answers for how to cover that many guys but also play good run defense on running QBs. A revolution was born.

So the hype of the spread made it to HS and teams found that your simple high school 8 man front defenses who sat in old school Cover 3 got shredded just like the college defenses did. A lot of these teams really got lucky that they were doing the new, different thing that defenses either hadn't seen before, or only saw once or twice a year and had a hard time simulating in practice or preparing for it.

Now you've got a lot of younger coaches who grew up in those systems or are coming down from the college level thinking that's just how it has to be done now. Spread has become the new normal. It's what everybody does. It's just what these coaches know and believe in, plus fans and administrators want the HS to run the stuff that they see on TV on Saturday. I'm on a bunch of coaches forums and you wouldn't believe how many young coaches post on there nowadays asking really basic questions like how to teach an under center snap or how to defend the old school I formation offense because they've never done it as a player or a coach! Seriously! :rolleyes:

The thing is that defenses have adapted, too. Zone read isn't shredding people at the HS or college level like it did 10 years ago when Pat White, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow were running wild on everybody. Defenses changed from basing out of 7 and 8 man fronts to basing out of 6 and just bringing extra guys into the box when the offense ads players. They figured out how to play the zone read and how to mess with it--the play works just like the veer still works, but it's not some huge mystery anymore.

What I think you're going to see is a little bit of a swing back towards the old smashmouth offenses, or spread teams becoming more smashmouth with what they do. Defenses adapted to the spread by basing out of 6 man fronts instead of 7-8 DL and LBs. The new guys they put in were hybrids SS/OLB types, but those hybrids don't usually hold up too well when they have to take on big TE or FB smacking them in the mouth all night long.

The game is kind of slowly going back to the old 2 back style, but from the shotgun with read elements in there. If you look at Auburn, that's pretty much what they do now. There's a TON of Wing-T and Veer influence in that offense. I think over the next 5 years, you'll see HS go back to that. You'll also see a bunch of what coaches call "RPOs" (Run Pass Options), which are borderline illegal plays where the QB reads the defense to either give the ball on a running play or throw a pass downfield (while the linemen run block it). That's going to be big in the next few years unless they crack down on illegal men downfield.

Great insight bro. Lots of facts